1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
SimonDC
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:17 am
Location: Washington, DC

1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by SimonDC »

I haven't seen this posted and am not sure if this is the right place. I've noticed with 1.4 that when playing as allies I get notice of Japanese airfield or port expansion when the allied expansions are listed at the end of the turn. I don't have a save but could try it. Am playing the 43 scenario.

Simon
User avatar
adsoul
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:08 pm

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by adsoul »

Not a bug. This is an intended feature.
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by Halsey »

This is really no big deal. You can get the same info by scrolling your cursor over the bases. Saves a few minutes every turn for those who like to check on these things.[;)]
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by kaleun »

I thought it was my loyal subjects letting me know what the Kichichiku beihei were up to....[8|]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
smallie1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:12 pm

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by smallie1 »

maybe covered before, but what's the thoughts on this? Seems silly to me you somehow use a crystal ball & know airfields and ports are expanding. I think you should get this info only if you recon.
User avatar
2ndACR
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am
Location: Irving,Tx

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by 2ndACR »

hey, do not knock it. I hated having to go check every base every turn to find out when work was done.

Now if they will do the same thing for reinforcements too.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by Mr.Frag »

hey, do not knock it. I hated having to go check every base every turn to find out when work was done

And that is exactly why it was added ... one less thing to micromanage [;)]
User avatar
2ndACR
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am
Location: Irving,Tx

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by 2ndACR »

And I say thank you. Now give me a reinforcment notification and where they arrive at.[:D]
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by Mr.Frag »

And I say thank you. Now give me a reinforcment notification and where they arrive at.

Someone did suggest to just list the base that a unit arrived at to clue you in to look there and not spoil FoW too much. That was a great idea of how to handle it.
User avatar
2ndACR
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am
Location: Irving,Tx

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by 2ndACR »

I could live with that idea. Saves me the time of having to write down what units are due tomorrow and where.
smallie1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:12 pm

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by smallie1 »

Lets say I'm the Allies and I capture Saipan at a airfield 5. I get my engineers in there to upgrade the base to a level 7 so my B29s can do there stuff. as soon as it gets to be a 7 the Japanese know to start expecting raids the next turn. No recon, no mystery, they automatically just know it. This "fix" might save rolling over every port and airbase, but that does not argue the point of the fow being more than just a bit lifted. Seems that availability should not have been there in the first place. oh well, we go to war with the game we have.
User avatar
velkro
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:32 pm

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by velkro »

Methinks that's a ridiculous complaint. They just IMPROVED the management of this game and you are complaining about it.
If you want FOW just run the turn and don't read the ops report. Heck, don't even read the combat reports. Now that's truly FOW.
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by tsimmonds »

I get my engineers in there to upgrade the base to a level 7 so my B29s can do there stuff. as soon as it gets to be a 7 the Japanese know to start expecting raids the next turn. No recon, no mystery, they automatically just know it.

"Knowing" something is going to happen and being able to do anything about it are two completely unrelated things. If your opponent can somehow counter your B29 raids, he was going to be able to do so already, without needing to know the exact moment your airfield flipped. In any case, that you might capture Saipan and then bump the airfield to a 7, should come as a surprise to no one. Or any base, you have to count on your enemy doing the thing you would prefer he did not do, fixing the place up and using it against you. The only thing about that that could be surprising would be if it took more than just a few days.
Fear the kitten!
Djordje
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 am

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by Djordje »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
And I say thank you. Now give me a reinforcment notification and where they arrive at.

Someone did suggest to just list the base that a unit arrived at to clue you in to look there and not spoil FoW too much. That was a great idea of how to handle it.

Yes, I asked about 10 days ago if that would be possible, but haven't got the reply, so I thought nobody liked the idea. Glad I was wrong[8D]
"Ship arrived at Maizuru", "Ground unit arrived at Karachi" or "Air Group arrived at San Francisco" would not give up anything as we all know where most of the replacements come, but would help a lot locating those units when they show up...
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: 1.4 Bug - AI's port/airfield expansions being listed

Post by Mr.Frag »

Yes, I asked about 10 days ago if that would be possible, but haven't got the reply, so I thought nobody liked the idea. Glad I was wrong
"Ship arrived at Maizuru", "Ground unit arrived at Karachi" or "Air Group arrived at San Francisco" would not give up anything as we all know where most of the replacements come, but would help a lot locating those units when they show up...

Not even sure I'd list the catagory, more like a "check Karachi for arrivals" in the ops report. Gives up very little info but helps ...
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”