Noob help

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Post Reply
User avatar
Liberty
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:56 am
Contact:

Noob help

Post by Liberty »

I downloaded and installed spwaw 8.2, patched to 8.3. When i try to play i get the start screen, and when i click to play a game a black boxs starts to open then i get a program is haveing problems and needs to close box.My comp is a HP pavilion 502n. I run windows xp sp2.It has a 1.3 ghz celeron ,128 mb ram,chipset is i810e.All i know so far about the motherboard is its made by trigem.Any help would be greatly apprecieated.
Give me liberty or give me death.
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Noob help

Post by RBWhite »

liberty

First try making a short cut on the desktop to Mech.exe in the Steel Panthers directory & try starting the game from there.

You also maybe boarder line with 128 meg. of ram. SPWAW is a system resourses hog.

Your motherboard in this case probly is not at issue.

Rick White
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

RE: Noob help

Post by Voriax »

Or just try 'quick start' from spwaw start menu, it points directly to mech.exe. [:'(]

You motherboard actually may be the culprit. Do you have DirectX9 installed? DX9 is a requirement for spwaw. Intel's 810 is an old chipset and it may lack proper support these days.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Noob help

Post by RBWhite »

Voriax

I'm running SPWAW 8.30 on a machine with an ASUS motherboard with an Intel chipset older than 810.
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

RE: Noob help

Post by Voriax »

RBWhite, guess you can count yourself lucky [:D]

However, I've seen more than one game faq that report problems with various older Intel chipsets, including 810. They are usually related to lack of proper DirectX support.


Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Noob help

Post by RBWhite »

But of coarse I'm not using the onboard video.

I'm using an old 3dfx video card.
User avatar
Liberty
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:56 am
Contact:

RE: Noob help

Post by Liberty »

I got it to work from the quick start...thanks for the help all:)
Give me liberty or give me death.
Post Reply

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”