Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I suspect the reason so many of us are finding fault with the game engine itself,(the "hard-coded" problems),is that this group of people is probably a lot more sophisticated and history concious than the "average" so-called game-player..
If this was a game I could play in 1964 while munching greasy pizza and reading an old copy of Air Classics,I'd likely be astounded,but having been in a war and around the world a couple of times has opened my eyes a lot.I know this has been a common experience for a lot of us,and to sum it up,we just expect more....

But this game wasn't designed or marketed for the casual gamer. It was designed for "us," and so of course expectations (by some of "us"--maybe I was wrong at that [:)]) run higher.

I really really hope that some of this stuff is addressed down the road. Not holding my breath exactly, but as the old saw goes, hope springs eternal.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by m10bob »

Oh,yeah,I agree completely..I just suspect that even though it was designed for "us",maybe the designers did not have the same level of this particular sophistication and presumed they could emulate it,or they sacrificed "reality" for "playability" from the beginning,with marketing more a priority than customer satisfaction of the true grognard.
***Now how the game ever got out of the gates with the "bugs" intact,supposedly with so many "playtesters",is anybodies guess......
I love the game,but a "yes man" may have served Matrix worse than he served us,because something like this can hurt sales,and if Matrix trusted somebody to tell the truth in the testing,and just got their "backside-smooched",well,it was a dis-service and a lack of trust of the "playtester"..
Image

User avatar
ChezDaJez
Posts: 3293
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 am
Location: Chehalis, WA

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by ChezDaJez »

But this game wasn't designed or marketed for the casual gamer. It was designed for "us," and so of course expectations (by some of "us"--maybe I was wrong at that ) run higher.

I agree with that however the game was also marketed as a strategic overview of the war with abstracted tactical routines whcih is fine as far as it goes. The problem is we want the game to accurately portray the weapons and the tactics of the era which requires a better tactical model. The game simply was not designed for it, especially with land combat. Patches aren't going to fix that, only a redesign will and we all know how likely that is.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Oh,yeah,I agree completely..I just suspect that even though it was designed for "us",maybe the designers did not have the same level of this particular sophistication and presumed they could emulate it,or they sacrificed "reality" for "playability" from the beginning,with marketing more a priority than customer satisfaction of the true grognard.
***Now how the game ever got out of the gates with the "bugs" intact,supposedly with so many "playtesters",is anybodies guess......
I love the game,but a "yes man" may have served Matrix worse than he served us,because something like this can hurt sales,and if Matrix trusted somebody to tell the truth in the testing,and just got their "backside-smooched",well,it was a dis-service and a lack of trust of the "playtester"..

You sound a lot like me on the UV forum two years ago. And boy did I ever make a lot of friends there. [;)]
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
But this game wasn't designed or marketed for the casual gamer. It was designed for "us," and so of course expectations (by some of "us"--maybe I was wrong at that ) run higher.

I agree with that however the game was also marketed as a strategic overview of the war with abstracted tactical routines whcih is fine as far as it goes. The problem is we want the game to accurately portray the weapons and the tactics of the era which requires a better tactical model. The game simply was not designed for it, especially with land combat. Patches aren't going to fix that, only a redesign will and we all know how likely that is.

Chez

Of course you're right. Sad but true.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
But this game wasn't designed or marketed for the casual gamer. It was designed for "us," and so of course expectations (by some of "us"--maybe I was wrong at that ) run higher.

I agree with that however the game was also marketed as a strategic overview of the war with abstracted tactical routines whcih is fine as far as it goes. The problem is we want the game to accurately portray the weapons and the tactics of the era which requires a better tactical model. The game simply was not designed for it, especially with land combat. Patches aren't going to fix that, only a redesign will and we all know how likely that is.

Chez

Of course you're right. Sad but true.
***But if it meant another "Module" to PURCHASE,I would.....
They might call it "The Director's Cut"..???
Image

User avatar
WhoCares
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:20 am

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by WhoCares »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The whole Guadalcanal campaign was within torpedo carrying range of Rabaul, and yet I can only come up with information on that one attack on US shipping. Something must have held them back - it was a while before the Cactus Air Force was strong enough to be a real deterrent (remember, they did keep coming to Lunga to bomb the airfield).
Probably it was just an operational decision: load bombs to be able to bomb the base in case no ships are around. Would be stupid to fly to an enemy airbase with torpedos and upon arrival all ships have left [8D]

Edit: Just noticed that this part of the discussion was pretty much finished. Thought I had reached the end of the thread but was only the end of the page...... [8|]
ImageImage
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Feinder »

Now that's an intering point you bring up WhoCares.

What if you eliminated the secondary mission?

Players would be compelled to -either- carry bombs or torpedos. Right now however, you can set "Nav Atk / AF Atk". You get the best of both worlds.

But if you compel players to actually make a decision, that could lead to some interesting situations...?

Dunno.

My first kick thinks it's actually pretty good idea. But I've been wrong before (just ask my wife).

Whaddya think?

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Oh,yeah,I agree completely..I just suspect that even though it was designed for "us",maybe the designers did not have the same level of this particular sophistication and presumed they could emulate it,or they sacrificed "reality" for "playability" from the beginning,with marketing more a priority than customer satisfaction of the true grognard.
***Now how the game ever got out of the gates with the "bugs" intact,supposedly with so many "playtesters",is anybodies guess......
I love the game,but a "yes man" may have served Matrix worse than he served us,because something like this can hurt sales,and if Matrix trusted somebody to tell the truth in the testing,and just got their "backside-smooched",well,it was a dis-service and a lack of trust of the "playtester"..

Hi, There were no yes men in the testing Corps. However disputes were not conducted on the public forum but in the private forum.
It would be a waste of everyones time if a tester found a bug and did not report it. Or if they reported it fixed when it was not. (The truth would out)
Now once the designers and programmers listen to comments and respond with "this is how it will work test it" The tester has two choices. Test it to see if it does what the designers want or quit the team if he feels the subject is being presented incorrectly.

I have been a tester of WITP since it was first sent to testers. I have done some other tasks as well (I assigned terrian types to hexes and the artist drew the map to conform to terrian (opposed to me assigning terrian to what the map graphic was)
I accept the blame where this has been found incorrect. (there were a lot of hexes)

I never thought it would be a good idea to make a stand in private and if I was not heeded move it to the public. I have always thought my job was to test that the design did what the designers wanted not what I wanted. If that is being a yes man so be it. I never hid bugs.

There is a lot of WITP that is the way it is because of the testers. There is a lot of WITP that is the way it is because of posts made by non testers.

There are current bugs that exist now because of features added. The release version of WITP is vastly enlarged when compared to the first Alpha I tested. And the changes are mostly a result of the testers.

WITP results and operation were posted by testers in AAR going back to Alpha. Changes were made as a result of comments from the forum even before the game was beta.

The current game owes much to feedback from this forum. Because the design team was so open to suggestion the final version of WITP was never tested in complete human versus human play. The versions changed weekly (often daily)

There is no blame to be dished out because the final product reflects the desires of the then current Matrix forum posters.
I suppose 2by3 could have set a "last call" for requests and finalized a version a year or two before release for dedicated testing with no new features to be introduced (ever) that would have resulted in a finished product with fewer post release bugs. Instead we have had quite a number of post release bug introduced as a result of changes. I don't feel this demands a witch hunt to assign blame but rahter needs to be accepted as simply part of the process by which the designers are attempting to make buyers happy.

I am proud of the part I played in this games progress to it's present forum. The testers remain busy giving time improving the game. It is sad some people feel they are being exploited by being used as defacto testers after buying what they thought was a finished bug free product. Only those people who have refrained from making requests for changes are entitled to this because if you asked for something and seen it introduced then you have to accept there will be a period where it needs to be "ironed out"
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Feinder »

(* cheers for Mog *)

What many people aren't grasping the is difference between a "bug" and "I just don't like it when..."

A bug is "the leader bug". Something is not correct, and must be fixed.

But just because somebody doesn't like the way something plays, doesn't make it a bug. Whether it's the forgone conclusion that Japan -will- get clobbered by 1944 in War in the Pacific, or that it was nearly impossible for the Russians to win "Escape for Veilekey Lukey" in Squad Leader, or that the "Kill Yamamato" scenario in Dauntless was simply a swoop-n-shoot that ended with a US victory after the first pass.

Wargamers (and I use the term loosely), have been b1tching since 1958 when "Tactics" was released. One side isn't "balanced". One side can do this. My side can't do that. "This is unrealistic because..." "I want my bombers to be able to do this..."

It's 10% objective. 20% subjective. And 70% perspective.

And just like in politics, you get a very small number of people, that make most of the noise. Yes, they occasionally have something important to say. But the rest of the time, they're just there to be annoying (unfortunately, they never seem to comprehend that nobody actually cares what they're saying).

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

Hi, OK I get excited when the suggestion is made that bugs exist because testers were kissing butt and not testing.
I wish there was a way to compute the combined number of hours that testers gave and the number of issues the testers found that were never released as a result and so on.
Testing was not a party.
I think I would be giving a number too low by magnitudes to say I spent 6000 hours testing WITP before it was released. (thats only 250 days days of 24 hours and I know I spent at least that many days doing nothing but setting up a situation, running it, and starting over. I became a recluse testing WITP (I went 9 months without going outdoors)

It felt like work to me. But I thought it was worth the effort to help get it done.
So I am not complaining about testing but I don't want it suggested that the testers got some kind of free ride and WITP suffered because of the choice of testers. I doubt there has ever been a team that tested a product and gave more hours to testing.
I also doubt there was ever as much growth in a program from it's first Alpha to the form it had assumed by release. These changes were almost all a result of tester and/or forum posters who followed the posts made by the testers.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, OK I get excited when the suggestion is made that bugs exist because testers were kissing butt and not testing.
I wish there was a way to compute the combined number of hours that testers gave and the number of issues the testers found that were never released as a result and so on.
Testing was not a party.
I think I would be giving a number too low by magnitudes to say I spent 6000 hours testing WITP before it was released. (thats only 250 days days of 24 hours and I know I spent at least that many days doing nothing but setting up a situation, running it, and starting over. I became a recluse testing WITP (I went 9 months without going outdoors)

It felt like work to me. But I thought it was worth the effort to help get it done.
So I am not complaining about testing but I don't want it suggested that the testers got some kind of free ride and WITP suffered because of the choice of testers. I doubt there has ever been a team that tested a product and gave more hours to testing.
I also doubt there was ever as much growth in a program from it's first Alpha to the form it had assumed by release. These changes were almost all a result of tester and/or forum posters who followed the posts made by the testers.

I know just how you feel Mog, WitP has made me $53,000 so far because between it and work I no longer have a life. I have still not found the time to actually sit down and really play because I am too busy running through combinations and permutations of things looking for problems that can be fixed. People just have no idea how much work there is behind the scenes and never really will understand it. I gave up trying to make people understand a long time ago.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

Hi, $53,000? [X(]
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

(* cheers for Mog *)

What many people aren't grasping the is difference between a "bug" and "I just don't like it when..."

A bug is "the leader bug". Something is not correct, and must be fixed.

But just because somebody doesn't like the way something plays, doesn't make it a bug. Whether it's the forgone conclusion that Japan -will- get clobbered by 1944 in War in the Pacific, or that it was nearly impossible for the Russians to win "Escape for Veilekey Lukey" in Squad Leader, or that the "Kill Yamamato" scenario in Dauntless was simply a swoop-n-shoot that ended with a US victory after the first pass.

Wargamers (and I use the term loosely), have been b1tching since 1958 when "Tactics" was released. One side isn't "balanced". One side can do this. My side can't do that. "This is unrealistic because..." "I want my bombers to be able to do this..."

It's 10% objective. 20% subjective. And 70% perspective.

And just like in politics, you get a very small number of people, that make most of the noise. Yes, they occasionally have something important to say. But the rest of the time, they're just there to be annoying (unfortunately, they never seem to comprehend that nobody actually cares what they're saying).

-F-
******Yeah...Partner,the only "bugs" I was referring to,were the infamous leader bug and the nightime intercept bug..(Was not really OT with "bomber balance",but was responding to another recent subject on this same thread)..
Mog and I have no problems and are of the same opinions,(AFAIK).
Image

User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, $53,000? [X(]

Whoops, I was wrong, make that $55.6K, hadn't looked in a while. [:D]
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

Hi, Daddy it's me, your long lost son. Can I come home now?
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Daddy it's me, your long lost son. Can I come home now?

Ha, in your currency, thats a case of beer [:D]

Not to mention I just happened to meet this rather cute blond a couple of days ago so ... that money will be gone soon enough [X(]
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

Hi, Ha your busted So much for your "I don't have a life" line. (and now we know where you have been of late. Mr.....Frag)[:-]
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Ha your busted So much for your "I don't have a life" line. (and now we know where you have been of late. Mr.....Frag)[:-]


But ... but ... but ... honest ... it's work!
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by mogami »

Hi, Now about the case of beer. You do admit you can afford it if you don't waste your money on "whats-her-name" first.
I ask you (and the public at large) who is more deserving and a better use for your ill gotten gains. Beer for Mog or shoes for the floozy out for your money?[X(]
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”