Game Crashes While Loading

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

User avatar
Knavery
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:44 pm

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Knavery »

It's not the card. I get the same thing and I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. I've updated everything and still get CTDs. I may be asking for a refund from both copies I bought if this isn't resolved.

Knavery
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Erik Rutins »

Knavery,

There's no guarantee that's the same issue. SoulBlazer is getting errors specific to the nVidia drivers, which I doubt you're getting with your ATI card.

Have you submitted a report and a DxDiag file? If not, please do so. The more info we have, the better we can help. The team at 2by3 are looking into any crash reports as a priority.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
Knavery
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:44 pm

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Knavery »

Yeah I saw that. I'll do it first thing tomorrow when I get home from the daily grind. ;)

Knavery
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
SoulBlazer
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Providence RI

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by SoulBlazer »

Well, since it seems the people at Matrix are stumped, and since I've enjoyed all of their games in the past, I'll just hope for the best. Right now, I'm very frustrated.

Here's some more info that may help -- I've tried turning down my Hardware Acceralation, but when I do that and try to start the game it just fails to load with a 'error in the waw.exe' file.

Guys, is there ANYTHING else I can tell you or do that may help? I love Matrix and your customer support nad have numerous games published by your company, and this is the first one I've been unable to run. I'm convienced due to the error message and other weird things going on it's some kind of problem with either my video card (a NVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200) or my video drivers. I REALLY want to play this game and now that it's been opened I can't even return it for my money. [:@]

Help!
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Marc von Martial »

We´ll get you fixed up, don´t worry.
It's just more tricky then with all the other issues that could be solved with basic PC maintenance people should do anyway once in a while.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Erik Rutins »

SoulBlazer,

Please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com and I'll e-mail you a test build to try and see if it makes any difference.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
SoulBlazer
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Providence RI

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by SoulBlazer »

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks. :)
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
jpinard
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: SoulBlazer

I've been waiting to play this game all day, I finally get home and try it, and it won't start!

First, may I express my displeasure in being forced to play in higher then 800 by 600 resolution? I STILL use that resolution for everything, including all my games. This is the first game I've had that requires something larger. The problem is that I have my monitor tweaked JUST so for 800 by 600 mode and to have it larger I have to change all my settings.

Anyway, running the game at 1024 by 768, the game loads, the bar on the bottom of the screen is filled, and then WHAM! Without warning, it reboots my system. [:@]

I've updated my video driver to the newest one, made sure Windows Media Player was up to date, and removed the start up videos. Still no success.

My computer is a AMD Athlon 2.1 gig with a NVidia Ti200, Windows XP, iiyama LS902UT monitor, over a gig of RAM.

Please find attached my DxDiag report, as requested.

Thanks in advance for any helps so I can run this game!

Why on Earth would you run a game in 800x600 mode? Most games do not fully support 800x600 mode anymore. If you purchase as many games as I do, most of mine specifically say "limited functionality in modes under 1024x768". You really need to get with the times.

In addition, all modern monitors will save your screen res switches. You run something at 800x600 and you have a specific refresh rate, and then your pictures adjust a certain way... well when you play something at 1024x768 and get your monitor all re-adjusted, your monitor should SAVE that information. When you go back to 800x600 your settigns should all be exactly they way they were.

If they are not saving that info, then it's not Matrixgames fault your video card and monitor aren't working correctly together...
SoulBlazer
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Providence RI

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by SoulBlazer »

Just wanted to let you know that the combonation of the test build you kindly sent, combined with a total and complete manual wipe of every TRACE of NVidia from my computer and a clean install of the drivers, and then with running the game in -16 mode, FINALLY got it running. Thanks for all the help. ;)

And yes, I suspose I could 'get with the times', but between my old video card and the fact I like LARGE text, I guess I'm just a throwback. :)
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
jpinard
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by jpinard »

Thats great it works. but you should know there's a problem with your monitor. I looked up it's specs and if your monitor is "on" before you boot-up, it should save all your settings between screen modes. FYI - This can sometimes be the sign of a dying monitor.
SoulBlazer
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Providence RI

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by SoulBlazer »

It does save everything. The problem was that every time I reinstalled the NVidia drivers it also defaulted to a generic 'plug and play' driver instead of my iiyama one (which, I might note, is brand new. :) ). The first few times I did'nt realize that and wondered why nothing was being saved between modes. Then I found out. ;)

I WOULD like to know, though, why this game requires such a demanding graphical engine for a wargame. Wargames like this don't need 'fancy' graphics, they just need funcitonal ones. Look at the great games Paradox puts out. Their graphics are rather old also, but very simple.
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by Marc von Martial »

Glad we have you running [:)]
The problem was that every time I reinstalled the NVidia drivers it also defaulted to a generic 'plug and play' driver instead of my iiyama one (which, I might note, is brand new. :) ). The first few times I did'nt realize that and wondered why nothing was being saved between modes. Then I found out. ;)

Yes, that´s normal. After a graphic card driver update you need to reinstall the monitor drivers (if there are any) too.
jpinard
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am

RE: Game Crashes While Loading

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: SoulBlazer

It does save everything. The problem was that every time I reinstalled the NVidia drivers it also defaulted to a generic 'plug and play' driver instead of my iiyama one (which, I might note, is brand new. :) ). The first few times I did'nt realize that and wondered why nothing was being saved between modes. Then I found out. ;)

I WOULD like to know, though, why this game requires such a demanding graphical engine for a wargame. Wargames like this don't need 'fancy' graphics, they just need funcitonal ones. Look at the great games Paradox puts out. Their graphics are rather old also, but very simple.

All developer's making 2d games now have the capability to make beautiful 3d based art. Just look at the difference between Galc Civ 1 vs. the new Gal Civ 2 coming out. I wouldn't have this game any other way. It looks beautiful and without the artwork, it'd lose some of its character.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support”