I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Post Reply
jpinard
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am

I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by jpinard »

I can run the game just finr fo long periods of time. Never crash or have an issue. BUT, if I play the game with music running in the background ala Windows Media Player, after 10-60 minutes I will hard-lock or CTD - and it's only a matter of time.

Therefore I have come to the concusion since this is a brand new clean install, that there is an issue WMP and WaW. What I see is a potential memory leak/conflict. I "had" 1 Gig of RAM, and when runnign the 2 things together, I would see RAM and CPU/MEM usage spike, and/or climb exceptionally high. Ironically sicne I "just" got 2 Gig of RAM I cannot duplicate the problem anymore.

Therefore, I'd suggest people turn the music off if they experience problems as this "may" use WMP codecs which maybe can cause issues as I was able to duplicate. In addition the developers might need to look at a possible memory leak. Seeing the game use much more memory than the entire game uses indicates there's an issue there (topping out at 680 Meg) not inlcuding the 1.5 Gig swap file.

However in addition the 2 Gig I'm runnig now has made a 1,000% difference in this - even though the game techinically should top out well under 1 Gig.

So, if you're crashing... turn off movies and music... even try turning off all sound just for testing purposes. Most of all, don't multi-task. This increases the chances to kick in a memory-draining situation I've seen happen many tiems with the game.
User avatar
donkuchi19
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by donkuchi19 »

I had similar problems with WITP. Turning off the sound allowed me to play the game without any problems. I don't know if Gary uses similar sound files in this game but it seems to be kind of a trend.

(BTW: I am not bashing anyone or anything so don't jump all over me. I love both games and play them all the time. It is just my observation)
User avatar
TheHellPatrol
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:41 pm

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by TheHellPatrol »

[8|]Yeah, i was one of those CTD posters when i got Witp the minute is was available for download. My brand new Alienware rig was crashing left and right, only the "sound patch" got me out of that crisis. Ironically, i am using the same rig with WAW, albeit fresh and reformatted, and it runs blazingly fast(knocks wood)...go figure.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
hadberz
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Moncks Corner, SC

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by hadberz »

I'm thinking it's a codex issue as well. I have Windows Media Player 9 loaded, but I don't use it. What I do have installed and use all the time is K-lite Mega Codec Pack which comes with Media Player Classic. Here's the link.

http://www.codecguide.com/

If you don't want the alternative players then use K-lite Codec Pack. When you install it will ask what profile to use, just use the playback profile. I use this on both my desktop and my laptop and the game runs perfect i.e. no crashes of any kind.

It works fine for me, but use at your own risk :) Good thing is it's very easy to uninstall if you don't like the codec pack.
AMD Ryzen 9800X3D
MSI MPG X870E CARBON
32 GB G-Skill Model DDR5 6400
Sapphire Nitro X 9070 XT 16GB
AOC Q27G3XMN 2560X1440 180 Hz
Dell G2724D 2560x1440 165Hz
Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe
Win 11 Pro
User avatar
Franky513
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Germany

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by Franky513 »

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

[8|]My brand new Alienware rig was crashing left and right, only the "sound patch" got me out of that crisis.

What "Sound patch" do you mean? Turning off the music?

Ciao Frank
User avatar
TheHellPatrol
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:41 pm

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Frank Klein
ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

[8|]My brand new Alienware rig was crashing left and right, only the "sound patch" got me out of that crisis.

What "Sound patch" do you mean? Turning off the music?

Ciao Frank
When Witp was first released there was a temporary "sound patch", like what Matrix is doing with WAW's "test build", to help those of us having problems that weren't driver/installation related. That "sound patch" was absorbed into one of the earlier patches and it's been clear sailing[:D].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by Mr.Frag »

The sound files in WaW look to be wav files, not the variable bit rate mp3's that WitP came out with.

To fix them, I resampled them to a much lower level to make for a softer processor/hardware requirement.

Not sure if you can do the same in WaW.
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by Cmdrcain »

I played entire war and had no realproblem except a mentioned slow scrolling on map over land areas later in game, anyway it might indeed be the sound, since I played ok, no crashs, no Memory warnings during or after game, but then since to me Sounds useles, I run all games without Sound..

I've often had no problems in various games while others have, of course they were using sound ;-)

Sounds overrated [:D][:D][8|]
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
User avatar
TheHellPatrol
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:41 pm

RE: I think I have a solution for some crashes, please read

Post by TheHellPatrol »

Note: I am not implying that the problems some are having with WAW are sound issues etc., just sharing the fact that i have had that issue with Witp and the "sound patch" fixed it. I am using the exact same PC with WAW and have no issues whatsoever[&o] so, in my oh so limited knowledge, it would appear more of a system specific issue. Codecs, DirectX and drivers do seem suspect, Matrixs' staff will figure it out...they always do[:D].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support”