when is movement irrevocable?

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Post Reply
WanderingHead
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:12 am
Location: GMT-8

when is movement irrevocable?

Post by WanderingHead »

Please explain: exactly when is movement irrevocable?

Is it true that there is always some user action (other than the move itself) required to make it irrevocable? E.g. initiate a combat, or click to explicitly risk op-fire.

I find that some movements seem irrevocable but without warning, which is irritating because most movements are revocable and hence you get used to moving things around thinking that you can undo it.

The latest was I moved a German transport unto a British transport (legal, right? since no British combat units?). Then I could continue to move the German transport, but every move after that initial move was irrevocable. I could undo nothing.

I've already posted about a presumed naval combat bug, and I saw some other posts about transport related combat bugs. Could this be the same as one of those other bugs?

Thanks!
IDrinkBeer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:30 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by IDrinkBeer »

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

Please explain: exactly when is movement irrevocable?

Is it true that there is always some user action (other than the move itself) required to make it irrevocable? E.g. initiate a combat, or click to explicitly risk op-fire.

I find that some movements seem irrevocable but without warning, which is irritating because most movements are revocable and hence you get used to moving things around thinking that you can undo it.

The latest was I moved a German transport unto a British transport (legal, right? since no British combat units?). Then I could continue to move the German transport, but every move after that initial move was irrevocable. I could undo nothing.

I've already posted about a presumed naval combat bug, and I saw some other posts about transport related combat bugs. Could this be the same as one of those other bugs?

Thanks!

Are you playing with FOW on? If so, any move which reveals enemy units is considered permanent ( irrevocable ).

Hope that helps...
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
WanderingHead
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:12 am
Location: GMT-8

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer
Are you playing with FOW on? If so, any move which reveals enemy units is considered permanent ( irrevocable ).

No, FOW is off.
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33774
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by Joel Billings »

With FOW off, you should be able to undo any move unless you have been shot at by Op-fire or fought a combat or forced an enemy fleet to retreat out of port due to its expecting that you will capture the port. Once you've done one of these things, if you continue moving, you should be able to undo back to this point. If you are seeing some other cases of not being able to undo, please send a save to 2by3@2by3games.com. I do know in test I saw cases where the red X was over the green arrow but the unit was able to undo the move. Sometimes in test, units could not move back on the map but the undo button would undo the move. I thought these bugs were fixed before release.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
WanderingHead
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:12 am
Location: GMT-8

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by WanderingHead »

Ahh, frustrating. Hard to reproduce. I reloaded and replayed the same move 12 times, the first time the misbehavior occurred but I did not save it. Then 10 times it worked perfectly. As I'm about to give up, I finally get the misbehavior.

I'm sending the before/after save files in.
WanderingHead
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:12 am
Location: GMT-8

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
Sometimes in test, units could not move back on the map but the undo button would undo the move. I thought these bugs were fixed before release.

Oh yeah, and when I reproduced it this is how it behaved. The green arrows were crossed out, but the undo button actually appeared to be functional (hadn't noticed that before).
traemyn
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:00 pm

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by traemyn »

With FOW off, you should be able to undo any move unless you have been shot at by Op-fire or fought a combat or forced an enemy fleet to retreat out of port due to its expecting that you will capture the port.

ok as Germany, I invaded scotland with some units and captured it. Then next movement phase (might have even been 2 after that) I sent all my forces from Scotland into England just to see the win % and thats all I did and it would not let me move them back at all. Is this something to do with the "retreat out of port" thing?
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33774
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: when is movement irrevocable?

Post by Joel Billings »

Probably. Once you reach a point where victory is likely, the defending fleet will retreat out of port to avoid capture. This then makes the undo impossible. To see this in action, try moving 5 infantry into the Netherlands on turn 1. I think after the 4th unit is moved in, these units are unable to pull out because the fleet evacuates to the North Sea.

I did get some saves for the undo bug (thanks to the player that sent those). It does show there is a graphics problem in some cases where the red X is displayed when it shouldn't. In these saves, not only does the undo button work, you can actually move the units back to their original area using a normal move click, even though the red X's are displayed. I have sent the saves to the programmer and hopefully he can figure out what is causing this display problem. For now, the best clue as to whether a move can be undone is whether the undo button is grayed out or active. We will try to fix this problem in the second patch.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support”