Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Sometimes things get lost in the translation. I'm not against changing formula I am against changing them just to get them to produce a set result no matter the cirumstance.

Were' not asking that the same result attain for every combat. We're asking that a screwball result of the kind I just posted represent no more than a statistical outlier, not a kind of game norm as is the case at present.
Just because 38 USN subs were lost in the Pacific does not mean the USN has to lose 38 in WITP. It certainly does not mean he has to lose 76 either.

Submarines are not supposed to engage enemy ASW. (sinking the DD before it spots you is fine but a submarine should not make an attack when it is clear that if it does it will under go DC attacks)

Attacking minimally-escorted convoys ought to be possible for the IJN submarines, at least early in the war against relatively inexperienced crews handling relatively unsophisticated ASW gear and munitions. At present it is not in my PBEM game. That tells me the model wasn't constructed right.
In WITP I find it is 33 perecnt in a ASW action. (roughly) 33 percent of the time my sub gets away unharmed. 33 percent it gets hit but survives (now it depends on how close the nearest size 3 port is) and 33 percent of the time my sub is lost. This is only when an actual ASW attack takes place. Quite often there is no attack but if I leave the sub in the hex the following turn the odds get worse.

If in my PBEM games there was a steady result that for each submarine lost a set number of enemy ships were sunk in return it would be easier to make an informed judgement however in some games enemy submarines are sunk for no return while in others fewer subs are lost but they are sinking escorted Japanese ships.

I have a game where 14 USN boats have been lost for 11 sinkings and another where 5 USN boats have been sunk but have accounted for 21 Japanese ships sunk. (there are of course damaged USn boats and damaged Japanese ships as well)

The point here is that 1 player got 2x the results with 1/3 the cost when compared to the other. (I seem to be pretty steady at 3 enemy ships sunk for each sub I lose) My farthest games are Brady and Ron. (Aug 42) Brady has lost about the same number of boats as Ron but has done 10x the damage. (Brady has sunk a large number of Japanese ships with his boats often by laying mines) Brady has also operated in "no mans land" while Ron stays inside Japanese ASW. Japanese results are almost exactly alike. (I've lost less then half their number while sinking about the same number of enemy ships in both games. But then it was the same starting file and Japanese submarine Ops were the same in both games)

There is no denying it that WITP kills submarines. So the questions that need answers are

1. Are there circumstance where a submarine will almost always be detected and attacked

Yes. If an IJN boat attacks an Allied convoy with three or four destroyers in 1942 it is most likely to 1) not sink anything but 2) itself.
2. Are there circumstance when a submarine will almost always evade detection.

I haven't seen that.
3. By what degree are these circumstance different (how do you go from never being detected to almost certain detection)

Because if submarines are detected they will be attacked and if they are attacked they will be hit. If a submarine is attacked and hit often enough it will be sunk.

From what I've seen the hit rate is too high for Japanese ASW assets. I'm not sure, as the only game I've studied is my own, but it seems, based on that small sample, that USN ASW early-war assets are too efficient as well. By how much is hard to say, as the Japanese didn't attack our convoys often.
If there are more attacks in WITP compared to the actual war, WHY? Never mind DC ratings the first step is detecting the submarine. Why are so many players having boats found in the first place?

What are players who lose fewer boats while sinking as many (or more) enemy ships doing differently? Why do these players get these results all the time?

For one thing, the game system allows the Japanese to play ahistorically, and most Japanese players are happy to do so. Why are the Japanese allowed to form ASW packs in 1942? That was unknown. Why isn't there some system restraint?

In my particular case, the biggest reason I've lost so few boats (no doubt) is that the Allied Sub Doctrine rule was toggled on. This makes my boats totally useless until the late summer of 1943, so all they do now is mine and ferry cadres. And I'll ask again, who's bright idea was that? What is the rationale for this Allied Sub Doctrine? Is there any rationale? Did someone just go poll some thread written in block letters one day that screamed for some such thing? What? How can such ridiculous features make it into a game of this kind? Wouldn't it make more sense instead to try to fix some of the stuff that's known to be broken?
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by jwilkerson »

My first impression of the ASW "problem" was that subs are detected too easily. If there was an easy way to fix this - then all the other attempts we're making might be unnecessary. So far I've only been "allowed to" play IJN ... so I'll speak from that side. I see allied subs milling around the oil ports and the Rabaul, Lae, Shortlands area ... and it is natural for me to form ASW "hunting" groups to go try to sink them ... and I am successful more often than not ... and the Allies are losing more subs than historically and not getting very many hits on my tankers or transports as they did historically. If I couldn't pin point these subs ... I wouldn't be able to fight them offensively ... and they would probably do better.

Also when ASW groups and subs do have an encounter .. more often than not the ASW group does find the sub ... and get to attack ... even if they often don't get a result ( some of my games use a 3 ship maximum size for ASW task forces - and when these only have IJN PC/PG/MSW they don't get a lot of hits ... though they do gain experience - and even if it takes 5 attack encounters - I usually do get the enemy boat - and it usually hasn't gotten anything in return - since I can route the convoy's around it's position ).

Also anytime a real task force ( with carriers and/or BB/CA and 6+ DD "runs over" a sub ... then 19 times out of 20 ... the sub is glugged ... that didn't happen to that extent IRL ).

If there was anyway to reduce detection of subs ... both by air and surface assets ... I'd welcome that.

WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by mogami »

Hi, I was not asking about circumstance in game. I was asking about circumstance in real life.
First we have to establish the "norm" for sub encounters and then see where WITP is at variance. It is one thing to say the model is broken. I am interested in what people belive should be the result produced by the "perfect" model.
Forget WITP exists. What was the normal sequence when a submarine encountered an enemy force.
What is the impact of an escort. Numbers of escort, location of encounter, previous exchange between submarine and enemy forces in same location, aircraft.
In short when does a submarine have the advantage and when does the ASW force present have the advantage?
The USN knew where not to send submarines during the war. They also knew when that changed and it was feasable to send submarines to previously restricted zones. What had changed?
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I was not asking about circumstance in game. I was asking about circumstance in real life.
First we have to establish the "norm" for sub encounters and then see where WITP is at variance. It is one thing to say the model is broken. I am interested in what people belive should be the result produced by the "perfect" model.
Forget WITP exists. What was the normal sequence when a submarine encountered an enemy force.
What is the impact of an escort. Numbers of escort, location of encounter, previous exchange between submarine and enemy forces in same location, aircraft.
In short when does a submarine have the advantage and when does the ASW force present have the advantage?
The USN knew where not to send submarines during the war. They also knew when that changed and it was feasable to send submarines to previously restricted zones. What had changed?

Darn - you have to be asking this now - when I have to go to the airport in 45 minutes to be out of town for 4 days !!! I'd love to dive in - but only have time for short answer ... short answer is sub has advantage until it is located ... and it is often not located ( in 1942 for all sides ... and for entire war for USN ) until it attacks. If I'm not mistaken ... ASW Task forces searches first and if it finds the sub - it attacks first and the sub then cannot attack. Might also be true for any TF. Until real ASW air with radar and ordnance capable of hurting subs exists ( starting in 1943 for most areas ) the ASW air mission should be relatively harmless.

Subs have the initiative until they are detected.

If this thread is still alive when I get back - I''ll try to add something more meaningful.

WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by mogami »

Hi, PBEM where I am Allied 3-12-42. I have lost 9 submarines (USN and others) 4 of these in port to air attacks. I have sunk 20 IJN boats. IJN has sunk 16 Allied ships with subs (and damaged others) Allies have sunk 7 Japanese ships with submarines (and damaged others) This is a bit misleading because Allied submarines have mainly been busy with transport missions. (rescuing cut off Allied units that have been forced out of base into non base hexes. ) In the approx 100 turns played thus far Allied submarines have transported over 26k Allied troops to safety. (The subs move troops from where they are stranded to nearest safe port where AP pick them up and move to base to rebuild)
5500 troops evaced to Ceylon
5000 troops evaced to Indian mainland
11,200 troops evaced to Australia

These missions often require submarine to enter hexes that are shallow water and have enemy TF present and are within enemy ASW air patrols.


All Allied submarines now have day/night ratings of at least 55. Currently submarine force is being overhauled to repair system damage aquired in extensive at sea periods.
(Very few Allied submarines were in port in first 90 days as resuce missions were conducted.)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I was not asking about circumstance in game. I was asking about circumstance in real life.
First we have to establish the "norm" for sub encounters and then see where WITP is at variance. It is one thing to say the model is broken. I am interested in what people belive should be the result produced by the "perfect" model.
Forget WITP exists. What was the normal sequence when a submarine encountered an enemy force.
What is the impact of an escort. Numbers of escort, location of encounter, previous exchange between submarine and enemy forces in same location, aircraft.
In short when does a submarine have the advantage and when does the ASW force present have the advantage?
The USN knew where not to send submarines during the war. They also knew when that changed and it was feasable to send submarines to previously restricted zones. What had changed?

Darn - you have to be asking this now - when I have to go to the airport in 45 minutes to be out of town for 4 days !!! I'd love to dive in - but only have time for short answer ... short answer is sub has advantage until it is located ... and it is often not located ( in 1942 for all sides ... and for entire war for USN ) until it attacks. If I'm not mistaken ... ASW Task forces searches first and if it finds the sub - it attacks first and the sub then cannot attack. Might also be true for any TF. Until real ASW air with radar and ordnance capable of hurting subs exists ( starting in 1943 for most areas ) the ASW air mission should be relatively harmless.

Subs have the initiative until they are detected.

If this thread is still alive when I get back - I''ll try to add something more meaningful.


Maybe one of the ideal ways to approach it would be that an ASW TF wouldn't spot it first, unless it was the sub had been spotted previously, either by another group or itself (which a self-spot would take two turns to attack first then). It could however attack first if it were in the same hex with another TF and that TF had been attacked the same turn. It would probably be better with percentages instead of all or nothing for each category. Maybe ASW attacks sub first, when ASW TF is alone, no more than 20% of the time at worst, whereas it attacking sub first when in the hex with another TF would never go above 90%.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I was not asking about circumstance in game. I was asking about circumstance in real life.
First we have to establish the "norm" for sub encounters and then see where WITP is at variance. It is one thing to say the model is broken. I am interested in what people belive should be the result produced by the "perfect" model.
Forget WITP exists. What was the normal sequence when a submarine encountered an enemy force.
What is the impact of an escort. Numbers of escort, location of encounter, previous exchange between submarine and enemy forces in same location, aircraft.
In short when does a submarine have the advantage and when does the ASW force present have the advantage?
The USN knew where not to send submarines during the war. They also knew when that changed and it was feasable to send submarines to previously restricted zones. What had changed?

Hmmmm...have the designers read a book or two on the subject before setting the puppy in stone. I think volumes have been posted on what was the "norm" for sub encounters and how WITP should be attempting to model them...I don't think we need to go over this again. From what I understand, it is working as designed and no change will ever come.

Apologies for my tone but so much (not just ASW) is at an extreme level of variance with the game that completely different tactics and doctrines have been adopted by players to accomodate the game mechanics and design approaches and the end result has almost no reflection of reality.

While it is fun to play, there is not much reality value and we are going to see more "extremes" as we progress deeper into the games time span.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by Halsey »

I've also come to this conclusion.
Maybe in a couple of years the modders will have worked out some of these oddities. Until then it's remains an RTS with bum rushes of land, sea and air forces. Only with the massive implementation of house rules can any resemblence to history be seen. Even then the mechanics will still operate "as designed".

Unlimited stacking and, unlimited supplies/fuel allows impossible operations to be accomplished easily. No command structure allows hundreds of TF's to be created at a whim. Usually for the purpose of padding bases and other TF's.

This is a massive tactical game. No thought was given at all in attempting to create an operationaly restricted command structure. But then, that might have been historical.[;)]

Too bad.[:(]
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by Tristanjohn »

In my PBEM game two more Japanese submarines, one RO-class and a fleet boat, have been sunk in the past two days attempting to attack my supply convoys. Details can found here: PBEM AAR
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by freeboy »

but where they moving and where they in deep water?
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW

Post by mogami »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I was not asking about circumstance in game. I was asking about circumstance in real life.
First we have to establish the "norm" for sub encounters and then see where WITP is at variance. It is one thing to say the model is broken. I am interested in what people belive should be the result produced by the "perfect" model.
Forget WITP exists. What was the normal sequence when a submarine encountered an enemy force.
What is the impact of an escort. Numbers of escort, location of encounter, previous exchange between submarine and enemy forces in same location, aircraft.
In short when does a submarine have the advantage and when does the ASW force present have the advantage?
The USN knew where not to send submarines during the war. They also knew when that changed and it was feasable to send submarines to previously restricted zones. What had changed?

Hmmmm...have the designers read a book or two on the subject before setting the puppy in stone. I think volumes have been posted on what was the "norm" for sub encounters and how WITP should be attempting to model them...I don't think we need to go over this again. From what I understand, it is working as designed and no change will ever come.

Apologies for my tone but so much (not just ASW) is at an extreme level of variance with the game that completely different tactics and doctrines have been adopted by players to accomodate the game mechanics and design approaches and the end result has almost no reflection of reality.

While it is fun to play, there is not much reality value and we are going to see more "extremes" as we progress deeper into the games time span.

Hi, Thanks (for nothing)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

but where they moving and where they in deep water?

This arguement is getting lame. What is deep water when a sub can only dive to it's crush depth, anywhere from 200' to 500', and it is modelled according to durability? As durability is a sub class definition, this durability can be used in shallow water because the durability is not "reduced" to let's say 10 for the Balao in 100' of water.

Durability seems to greatly affect ability of escorts to detect the sub, but it does not seem to effect the accuracy of the DCs once fired. I'm soooo baffled by the ASW model. It makes absolutely no sense to me the way it is designed.

Here is the list of Allied subs sunk by Japanese escorts...notice all to DCs, no air hits. Not been used aggressively unless placeing subs in shipping lanes is in some way overly aggressive behavior. Heck, Tarpon in my AAR did not even see a comtact so I'm not being that aggressive. Basically sub get's sighted and is attacked by all escorts without firing a shot initially (and can't in defence). Majority are in deep water but as I said, aside from penalizing the sub in some way regarding DC accuracy or detection, the durability of the sub sort of screws with the concept of variable depths due to shallow and deep water (because the durability is this ability and is hard coded into sub specs).

Worst thing for a sub to do is cross the path of a major surface TF...a dream during the war which fetched enormous dividends but in WITP usually means sub gets sighted first and gets sunk. In an test during beta I placed three or four subs in the path of a fast moving US CV TF and all subs were sunk or damaged in one turn as TF passed by!

I'm tempted to tell Mogami about a patrol line I have and have him run KB along it's axis. In fact I will and we can test it.


Image
Attachments
SunksubsAug.jpg
SunksubsAug.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Russ. As a test, run your CV TF you have lurking off Amboina providing LR CAP and run it along the axis of this sub patrol line and see what happens. I show this and offer this as the odds of me hitting anything are soo long and most likely I'll have at least 2 of the four subs damaged/sunk.

Image
Attachments
LiveASWtest.jpg
LiveASWtest.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by mogami »

Hi, Are you nuts? I provide escort to CV to keep subs away but I'm not sending them after subs either. I'll send an ASW TF.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Are you nuts? I provide escort to CV to keep subs away but I'm not sending them after subs either. I'll send an ASW TF.

Fair enough...make it a surface combat TF of DDs, not ASW. We know the ASW is brutal, I just want to see how bad the basic warship TFs are. I am confident the subs would not have hit anything anyway.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by mogami »

Hi, Last turn Brady sank a CL and a DD no harm to his subs.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by freeboy »

I am telling you, I get lots of asw groups either not getting attacks or not getting hits.. if his subs are moving and in deep water.. HELLO[:-]
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by mogami »

Hi, I don't think many of the subs Ron has lost have been "undiscovered". They had been spotted before the actions occured.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by freeboy »

does he just let them sit? Move them or lose them!
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Two more Japanese submarines sunk

Post by jwilkerson »

And there are those of us like me who say more than half the time - every time one of my IJN subs gets seen by a TF - it gets sunk. So Hello back at ya !


I don't know why we have such vastly different experiences but I've been playing since July and have done ( or am doing ) 6 PBEM and numerous AI games. Same thing happens if I'm playing Allies against AI .. I run over many IJN subs and sink most of them - it is even worse against the AI because the AI doesn't even try to position subs smartly or to pull out of areas infected by Alles ASW.


WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”