What's really wrong with the game?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by 2Stepper »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
Now that you mention it, most of the board wargames I played along the way were a lot more accurate than WitP.

Re whims: the game is chock full of Gary's little whims. That's the trouble.


I have a feeling since I started reading this thread that its going to annoy me a little so I'm going to reply to this one part of it and hopefully not get TOO bugged by the rest...

John, am I understanding this that we're grumbling about "accuracy" in a wargame? A boardgame, more accurate, then War in the Pacific... Hrmm... And this is significant why? Not meaning to be overly sarcastic here, but I guess I'm not understanding the problem here. The guys at 2x3 and Matrix took on a GARGANTUAN undertaking to build this monster and considering how "impossible" it seemed when I first heard of it, they pulled it off!

Sure, there's little things that annoy me personally as a gamer... PBEM games in general still bug me, having been all "growed up" with duel order entry style wargames... still, I digress...

The ultimate point is, this IS a game. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm not about to "flame" you for yours. I'm simply saying I don't understand all the griping that goes on about this inaccuracy and that... War in the Pacific was intended as a "grog" game where guys could spend hours and hours ad-nausium placing this strategy and that into the battles of the war. I don't recall how the game did in testing against itself (AI vs AI), but it occurs to me that if you put two human players against one another from Dec 7th or any OTHER time in the war for that matter you're going to have an "A-historical" result. SURE you're going to see the Japanese fall in most cases unless the Allied player is totally green, but who cares! That's the beauty of this game!

At its core, War in the Pacific is a turn based strategy game that gives me a chance to rewrite history because I can take the war off in any direction I want. If we want ultimate accuracy, then we should have contracted 2x3 and Matrix to build a bloody time machine! [:D]

For myself, I've more then got my moneys worth... and to be honest? If I EVER see some sort of interface built to take the blasted email server outta the mix? Gawd, I'd be the happiest gamer on earth and would probably rarely if ever play another game! LOL!! Well done lads... [8D]

Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

2Stepper, I'm not intending to flame anyone either[:)]. Just a matter of opinion - for me this issue we discuss here is not just an "inaccuracy", it's a basic design flaw. Ahistorical results are not the problem per se - of course we expect to get them when we do not follow historical strategy. Problem is that we get ahistorical results mainly because we have ahistorical capabilities, esp. the fast-moving supplies, which distort the player's strategic choices. Of course nobody wants to be forced to replay the Pacific War exactly as it happened. It's fine that you can try to rewrite history in WitP using ahistorical strategies - but I would expect from a 'historic' game that it models historic capabilities and limitations and compels me to make my strategic decisions within that historic framework. The same issues which limited strategic choices IRL should be present in the game - but as long as the game allows to sail mega-convoys into tiny ports and have all ships unloaded at the same time (even if it takes a couple of days), that's not the case. For example, conquering India as Japanese is possible in WitP only because the game does a relatively poor job modeling the historical supply bottleneck. I'd like to conquer India with the means the Japanese had at their disposal IRL, not with the help that I get because I can move the troops and supplies faster than it was possible then. I try to constrain myself from profiting by the shortcomings of the game design too much, but that's a poor substitute for a good basic design. WitP is great and I love it, but it has some major flaws which makes it 'just' a better PacWar. I know that there have to be compromises, simplifications and so on, but the game could be a grognard's wet dream come true if some issues are solved. I too got back my moneys worth, but heck, I'd pay another $50 if I'd get some dream features.
Ah gotta stop, should really go back to work now...
User avatar
eMonticello
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:35 am

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by eMonticello »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper
ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
Now that you mention it, most of the board wargames I played along the way were a lot more accurate than WitP.

Re whims: the game is chock full of Gary's little whims. That's the trouble.

John, am I understanding this that we're grumbling about "accuracy" in a wargame? A boardgame, more accurate, then War in the Pacific... Hrmm... And this is significant why? Not meaning to be overly sarcastic here, but I guess I'm not understanding the problem here.

The ultimate point is, this IS a game. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm not about to "flame" you for yours. I'm simply saying I don't understand all the griping that goes on about this inaccuracy and that... War in the Pacific was intended as a "grog" game where guys could spend hours and hours ad-nausium placing this strategy and that into the battles of the war. I don't recall how the game did in testing against itself (AI vs AI), but it occurs to me that if you put two human players against one another from Dec 7th or any OTHER time in the war for that matter you're going to have an "A-historical" result. SURE you're going to see the Japanese fall in most cases unless the Allied player is totally green, but who cares! That's the beauty of this game!

At its core, War in the Pacific is a turn based strategy game that gives me a chance to rewrite history because I can take the war off in any direction I want. If we want ultimate accuracy, then we should have contracted 2x3 and Matrix to build a bloody time machine! [:D]

2Stepper,

I suspect folks are getting confused by the word "accuracy". Many folks interpret "historical accuracy" as meaning that 1,000 jeeps with machine guns would rarely destroy a platoon of Tiger tanks in real life. However, there was a certain game that, by design, allowed for a greater than probable chance (at least until the code was rewritten to account for similar historical improbabilities). In WITP, you have a similar situation. 1,000 transport ships can appear off the coast of Noumea (say port size 3) and all unload within a week. In real life, Noumea had a very small wharf area and required lighters to unload ships in the harbor. Only a handful of ships would be available for unloading and the remainder would remain in the harbor as floating warehouses. Total time to unload 1,000 ships at Noumea? Perhaps a year? As I suggested in a previous thread, many of these inaccuracies are not show stoppers as long as a house rule is adopted to maintain historical accuracy.

In other words, it's fine for the Japan to invade Australia and use Darwin as a supply base. But it must be within the historical limitations imposed by real-life: Darwin was a small port with limited dock facilities and the logistics required to support a major operation from Darwin would be extremely difficult. The game currently does not reflect this without adopting house rules.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson
User avatar
ctid98
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:35 pm

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by ctid98 »


I too feel that the game allows you to move too quickly, I'd suggest the following changes:

1) Limit auto supply. The US wasn't on a full war footing in Dec '41 and it would take a few months to get there, therefore limit the amount of supply going into SF etc at the start and build it up over time to reflect this.

2) Limit the number of ships that can unload at once in a port. I'm not suggesting limiting the number of ships that can dock in port, just the numbers that unload at once using say the following formula:

(port size x 10) / 2 = number of ships that can unload

e.g

(port size 1 x 10) / 2 = 5 ships can unload at same time

A convoy of say 15 ships going to this port now takes 3 times as long to unload. When deciding which ships unload first prioirity is given to men and material first ahead of supplies and fuel. This means if attacking you either do so in waves, as was historical, or you sit there with ships full of supplies being blown away until its all unloaded, your choice.

Any thoughts on this???

---------------------
Tora! Tora! Tora!
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by freeboy »

ok, My puny 1.5 mgh p 4 with 512 is just too darn slow! that is it, I want ot load turns in ten seconds and have instant emails back and forth to my pbem opnts
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
You know, I almost always agree with you in principle. (Great minds thinking alike? )

As I said in another thread not long ago - in Germany we say 'Two idiots - same ideas' [:D][;)].

Yes, we've come full circle on that one. [:)]
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
Now that you mention it, most of the board wargames I played along the way were a lot more accurate than WitP.

Re whims: the game is chock full of Gary's little whims. That's the trouble.


I have a feeling since I started reading this thread that its going to annoy me a little so I'm going to reply to this one part of it and hopefully not get TOO bugged by the rest...

John, am I understanding this that we're grumbling about "accuracy" in a wargame? A boardgame, more accurate, then War in the Pacific... Hrmm... And this is significant why?

Well, I don't intend to "bug" you. Relax. [:)]

To answer generally, and perhaps you meant to be rhetorical or to throw this out to the general audience, which seems more likely . . . I didn't broach this subject of comparisons between games, someone else did. I merely responded.

But this could be significant or otherwise relevant in some comparative sense, given that this is the year 2005 and games I'd refer to are many years down the road now. Your question might even be tackled in an absolute fashion, which is, in fact, my purpose here. I want specific problems fixed. Maybe I consider it's time we got some of this stuff at least as right as it once was, not produce a game that steps backward.
Not meaning to be overly sarcastic here, but I guess I'm not understanding the problem here. The guys at 2x3 and Matrix took on a GARGANTUAN undertaking to build this monster and considering how "impossible" it seemed when I first heard of it, they pulled it off!

Sure, there's little things that annoy me personally as a gamer... PBEM games in general still bug me, having been all "growed up" with duel order entry style wargames... still, I digress...

The ultimate point is, this IS a game. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm not about to "flame" you for yours. I'm simply saying I don't understand all the griping that goes on about this inaccuracy and that... War in the Pacific was intended as a "grog" game where guys could spend hours and hours ad-nausium placing this strategy and that into the battles of the war. I don't recall how the game did in testing against itself (AI vs AI), but it occurs to me that if you put two human players against one another from Dec 7th or any OTHER time in the war for that matter you're going to have an "A-historical" result. SURE you're going to see the Japanese fall in most cases unless the Allied player is totally green, but who cares! That's the beauty of this game!

At its core, War in the Pacific is a turn based strategy game that gives me a chance to rewrite history because I can take the war off in any direction I want. If we want ultimate accuracy, then we should have contracted 2x3 and Matrix to build a bloody time machine! [:D]

For myself, I've more then got my moneys worth... and to be honest? If I EVER see some sort of interface built to take the blasted email server outta the mix? Gawd, I'd be the happiest gamer on earth and would probably rarely if ever play another game! LOL!! Well done lads... [8D]

I sometimes resort to your frame of mind, just accept the game as it is and let it rest. That's valid. But for me this is more of a fallback position, a last resort. I'm always after something better. Also, these complaints address fairly obvious faults with the game system. It isn't as if I came here to nitpick Gary to death.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: eMonticello

Here's how I solve the problem ... PORT RULEZ!!!!

Image




ORIGINAL: ctid98


I too feel that the game allows you to move too quickly, I'd suggest the following changes:

1) Limit auto supply. The US wasn't on a full war footing in Dec '41 and it would take a few months to get there, therefore limit the amount of supply going into SF etc at the start and build it up over time to reflect this.

2) Limit the number of ships that can unload at once in a port. I'm not suggesting limiting the number of ships that can dock in port, just the numbers that unload at once using say the following formula:

(port size x 10) / 2 = number of ships that can unload

e.g

(port size 1 x 10) / 2 = 5 ships can unload at same time

A convoy of say 15 ships going to this port now takes 3 times as long to unload. When deciding which ships unload first prioirity is given to men and material first ahead of supplies and fuel. This means if attacking you either do so in waves, as was historical, or you sit there with ships full of supplies being blown away until its all unloaded, your choice.

Any thoughts on this???


I have thoughts on both these posts so I thought I'd wrap them together.

The common problem with both these ideas (besides the math errors--just teasing you guys, please don't take offense [:)]) is that neither cuts to the core.

The overall logistics model is poorly conceived. We know that because it allows bad results. Also, I can point to specific examples where things are just not right with it. But the thing is, a much better logistics model might be no easy thing to create, necessarily.

To use the above examples: these both want to limit port load capacities in about the same way, but neither addresses the seminal question: just what is a "port," or rather, what should a "port" be in terms of the new WitP logistics model? What does this new model require?

I can tell you this. Having a Noumea ever rated the same, or almost the same, as San Francisco is absurd on its face. As long as an anomoly that glaring remains in play, no new logistics model will make good sense. And that's only Noumea we're talking about. How about Brisbane? Where would that stand in comparison with San Francisco in World War II? Singapore? Suva? Chandpur?

I think I'll leave that there as it is for now. I could easily write more, but unless people are willing to address logistics in a serious manner, what's the point? Easy fixes don't work. They don't work because they can't work. They break, then you're right back with the same problem on your hands. I haven't the time for that nonsense. Gary's already given us a dysfunctional logistics model. Why spend valuable time reinventing that lopsided wheel?

So, let's get serious here. Let's start at the bottom and work our way up to a better logsitics model.

Just to get us going . . . we'd need, in the broadest terms, to first come up with some sort of reckoning of what amounts of supply we're talking about which need to be moved. Find out how these are moved at the largest and most efficient ports, San Francisco being a good example. Then work from there. Pretty soon it's going to become obvious, I hope, that the current rating system of 1-10 is either not sufficient or requires that we live on a map with one or two 10-level ports and a whole hellua lot of 0-level ports, with a few 1-level and 2-level ports thrown in for the local flavor.

Anyone interested?
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

ok, My puny 1.5 mgh p 4 with 512 is just too darn slow! that is it, I want ot load turns in ten seconds and have instant emails back and forth to my pbem opnts

Your turns will never be instant in this game. Some more RAM would do you good fast, though.

Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by freeboy »

next upgrade, twin provessor 4.0 mt p7? with 2gig ram![:D]
"Tanks forward"
joliverlay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:12 am

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by joliverlay »

I have another suggestion, perhaps for another game.

Airfield Size
Port Size
Logistics Capacity

Port size effects docking etc....and invasions, but Logistics capacity effects maximum non-amphibious load/unload rate. Perhaps also maximum storage of fuel/ammo. Make the increase i logistics extra difficult to build and you give the allied engineers something to do.
User avatar
eMonticello
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:35 am

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by eMonticello »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
The overall logistics model is poorly conceived.

...what should a "port" be in terms of the new WitP logistics model? What does this new model require?

... I could easily write more, but unless people are willing to address logistics in a serious manner, what's the point? Easy fixes don't work.

So, let's get serious here. Let's start at the bottom and work our way up to a better logistics model.
I agree that a new logistics model as well as ship availability model would be most desirable. I also suspect there is enough information available either in Carlisle, Newport, and Washington to develop reasonably good regression models to predict the loading and unloading rate at a certain size "port" for a certain size ship (I picture a port as having several components: harbor size, harbor depth, # of wharves available for cargo handling, # of heavy and medium cranes, # of warehouses, efficiency of longshoremen (if available), and ease of transportation to the warehouses, year (to cover the technological and operational improvements)).

However, all I have to work with for now are the home-made charts, home rules, and tweaking the max port size to create the realistic bottlenecks. BTW, in my book, 1941 SF is a port size 8(9) and 1941 Sydney is a 5(7).

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: eMonticello
However, all I have to work with for now are the home-made charts, home rules, and tweaking the max port size to create the realistic bottlenecks. BTW, in my book, 1941 SF is a port size 8(9) and 1941 Sydney is a 5(7).

Sounds like an interesting "book". How much work have you done in looking at port and SPS values? I am always interested in any opinions on port sizes for my own scenario mods, not to mention CHS, in which we have been revising port values (downwards) for a while now.
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Not an easy task to devise a better model, in fact it is so complicated that I feel pity for the game designers and understand their decision to use a simple 0 to 10 approach. But then a different system to somehow limit the fast-moving supply pipelines. Of course we will never achieve 100% or even 80% accuracy, but some limits are better than none in order to end this mega-convoy-madness. To limit the number of ships (un)loading at the same time depending on port size is an option, so when a player sends a huge convoy, only a certain number of ships in the TF would (un)load at the same time, the rest would remain idle or use over-the-beach values. There could also be operational points for each turn to be spent on loading operations, the number of points per port depending on port size, number of Eng units present (with a cap value, so 50 Eng units stacked at a base won't result in 'instant loading') and some modifiers representing local factors at different ports - e.g. Ulithi would have a sizeable port (i.e. capable of holding a lot of ships) but a modifier that severly restrict its cargo handling capacity, since facilities and storage spaces were very limited. I also like the idea brought up in an earlier post of a logistical capacity which can be built up like a port, so supply handling capacity would be totally independent of port size, which would then only indicate how many ships can anchor within protected waters (i.e. TFs in port ['docked' in WitP terms] + ships disbanded into port). A combination of these ideas might work as well.

But alas, they won't change it so it's a futile excercise here as well as the sub-ASW discussion. What I find curious is the silence of the Matrix lambs in this regard - they hotly contest the sub-ASW issue, but have little to say to defend the game design regarding the supply issue... [:'(]

There must be a special rule for invasions, because in that case we have many ships unoading at a size 0 port (over the beaches) simultanously. Evacuations would also be handled differently than normal loading ops. Maybe there would also be the need to distinguish between commercial and combat loading of ships.
User avatar
eMonticello
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:35 am

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by eMonticello »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: eMonticello
However, all I have to work with for now are the home-made charts, home rules, and tweaking the max port size to create the realistic bottlenecks. BTW, in my book, 1941 SF is a port size 8(9) and 1941 Sydney is a 5(7).


Sounds like an interesting "book". How much work have you done in looking at port and SPS values? I am always interested in any opinions on port sizes for my own scenario mods, not to mention CHS, in which we have been revising port values (downwards) for a while now.
I've been reviewing the US Army Green Books for tidbits of information on port sizes. In three or four weeks, I want to take a weekend to finish the research locally. If I find that there is more useful information available at either of the War Colleges or at the National Archives, I may take a few days off to visit.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Not an easy task to devise a better model, in fact it is so complicated that I feel pity for the game designers and understand their decision to use a simple 0 to 10 approach.

Point taken. But then they might have used a 1-100 scale and brought the relationship between, say, San Francisco and Noumea into the realm of something which at least approached sensibility.
But then a different system to somehow limit the fast-moving supply pipelines. Of course we will never achieve 100% or even 80% accuracy, but some limits are better than none in order to end this mega-convoy-madness. To limit the number of ships (un)loading at the same time depending on port size is an option, so when a player sends a huge convoy, only a certain number of ships in the TF would (un)load at the same time, the rest would remain idle or use over-the-beach values.

I'm not sure over-the-beach is right, either. Maybe so. Probably is a little fast judged just by individual ship. But even it is correct in that respect, there's still the problem of every ship in a beach/port hex being allowed to unload simultaneously, which certainly shoots over-the-beach off-load capability through the roof.

As I see it there are two problems at work here. First, there's a reluctance of most people involved with this game to "bite the bullet." The CHS project is good example. I respect these people for the work they've put in. Take Andrew and his map, for example. That's a large step in the right direction, and he's pored a lot of time into that. Kudos!

But.

If you go that thread and read what's there you'll see I got argument back when I suggested that Noumea was rated too highly as a port. The response was on the order of, "Well, we've talked about that but there's no clear consensus yet." Consensus? Is that what we're talking about? Is that what drove the development of WitP? And it was pretty much the same deal when I mentioned how they're handling Lunga, except on that point I think no specific response was forthcoming at all. If I recall I told anyone with interest that Lunga could not be built into another Milwaukee no matter how many engineers worked on it. Which seems like a truism to me. Guess it isn't to everyone.

And these guys obviously want a good change! Yet don't you see, even they can't seem to bear the thought of creeping too close to "actuality." That, or they don't get it to begin with either. It must be one or the other.

(There. Now I'm going to be real popular with those people, too.)

          (poundanotherstakeforschuler)

Most of these places we see on the map were backwaters. If you were lucky they could accommodate LSTs nosing up onto the beach, and many of these "beaches" could not accommodate LSTs because they didn't shoal properly. Lunga was an especially unattractive beach, with terrible mosquitos. It could accommodate LSTs, but there weren't any at the time. Back at Noumea, at least, there was a "cove" to duck into and hang around in for a few months filing your nails while the port lighters nonchalantly crawled back and forth.

That's reality.

But players are used to Gary's more polished system and so are reluctant to tone it down a whole lot when it comes to matters of logistics, and proceed at an historical pace. It seems to be the case these people don't want to spend months of game time laboriously bringing a "port" level up to a measly 1, and then only to find out that that doesn't mean much anyway. They want to get on with their little war and "upgrade" to newer and better planes as fast as possible and bombard the bejesus out of the next enemy base across the map, quickly and over and over, too, then post that on an AAR and feel good about themselves. That's what they want. And that's what Gary gave them. That is, in fact, the new definition of grognard. Gary gives us the "details" all right. He doesn't bother to mention that these "details" make small sense for the reason they've been streamlined and processed along the way.
There could also be operational points for each turn to be spent on loading operations, the number of points per port depending on port size, number of Eng units present (with a cap value, so 50 Eng units stacked at a base won't result in 'instant loading') and some modifiers representing local factors at different ports - e.g. Ulithi would have a sizeable port (i.e. capable of holding a lot of ships) but a modifier that severly restrict its cargo handling capacity, since facilities and storage spaces were very limited.

Ulithi is an interesting example. This is where the universal approach breaks down. It was an excellent anchorage, but as for a "base," only the American Navy was capable to make it the functional resupply/service hub it actually became. You can't suppose for a moment that the Japanese had that kind of capability, and neither did the British.
I also like the idea brought up in an earlier post of a logistical capacity which can be built up like a port, so supply handling capacity would be totally independent of port size, which would then only indicate how many ships can anchor within protected waters (i.e. TFs in port ['docked' in WitP terms] + ships disbanded into port). A combination of these ideas might work as well.

Not "docked." That takes us backward. At anchor. As in, parked out of the weather at Ulithi again.

I, too, think, it might be a good approach to separate (better define) port functions. But now we're talking about a rewrite of the entire game. And that's okay for the purpose of an interesting discussion, but it won't help us in any immediate sense.

You might wish to email Joe Wilkerson, though. He has some ideas of this subject which you might well find of more than passing interest.
But alas, they won't change it so it's a futile excercise here as well as the sub-ASW discussion. What I find curious is the silence of the Matrix lambs in this regard - they hotly contest the sub-ASW issue, but have little to say to defend the game design regarding the supply issue... [:'(]

"Matrix" has responded. Didn't you read Frag's casual brush-off of this issue? It's always the same deal. He stated quite matter-of-factly, as have any number of posters, that while nobody denies the game moves too fast, this owes itself merely to play styles. Basically, it's the tired old argument about how players don't care how they mismanage their assets. That they'll gladly sacrifice a fleet or two or an army or two in some madcap scheme to conquer the world!

Well, there's no little truth in this. From what I've seen of the AARs there are plenty of madcap-types who play this game. But of course this completely ignores the obvious: that the game system allows this sort of play, indeed, to a great extent encourages this sort of play, and the reason for this is not difficult to find. Assuming one wants to find it. But of course Matrix doesn't want to find it. Matrix wants "us" to shut up. To wit, there is nothing inaccurate with regard to the ASW model, there is nothing amiss with the air model, there is nothing peculiar about the surface-combat model, there is nothing gone astray with the naval movement system and how that interacts with the air system, and certainly there is nothing untoward regarding supply--hell, we gave you a bazillion ships to haul it with, what are you bitching about? The land-combat system makes no sense? What are you talking about? Here, I give you Joe Blow. Let's just hear what he has to say.

          I don't se a poblem.I just thinkyou dudes need to CHILL! forgethis stuf about histry and aceracie read a book get a liFe! cya!!!
There must be a special rule for invasions, because in that case we have many ships unoading at a size 0 port (over the beaches) simultanously. Evacuations would also be handled differently than normal loading ops. Maybe there would also be the need to distinguish between commercial and combat loading of ships.

Again, invasions would need to be handled not universally but by nationality. Even by the time of Bougainville the Navy was getting its invasion act together fast. The amount of supply unloaded there in a few days made Guadacanal look like some long-forgotten exercise in futility. (That's just about the case. Off Lunga Point we hardly had a clue, and the Marines there were left hanging by a thread for some time.)

At the bottom there's a lot that goes into this mess. It didn't happen by accident, and to repair the damage won't be easy. It'll take either a re-write of the code, which would mean Matrix has to release that, and don't hold your, breath, or a new game entirely. As it stands now, the company is pleased to humor Joe. There are more Joes on this board than "us." It's a simple problem in math, I'm afraid.

I'm sorry to be so negative today. I really do want to see improvements. I just don't see any interest or cooperation on the part of the company. All of these complaints were broached and debated and pooh-poohed and shouted down by the very same people years ago after UV was released, and a blind man might see the result. The only thing we didn't know then was just how off the logistics model might be. And now we know that, too.

The solution? A million and one house rules? And end up playing half of Gary's game? Somehow that doesn't get it here.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: What's really wrong with the game?

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: eMonticello
ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: eMonticello
However, all I have to work with for now are the home-made charts, home rules, and tweaking the max port size to create the realistic bottlenecks. BTW, in my book, 1941 SF is a port size 8(9) and 1941 Sydney is a 5(7).


Sounds like an interesting "book". How much work have you done in looking at port and SPS values? I am always interested in any opinions on port sizes for my own scenario mods, not to mention CHS, in which we have been revising port values (downwards) for a while now.
I've been reviewing the US Army Green Books for tidbits of information on port sizes. In three or four weeks, I want to take a weekend to finish the research locally. If I find that there is more useful information available at either of the War Colleges or at the National Archives, I may take a few days off to visit.

Sounds like a good start.

I think what we're looking for are ballpark figures. So many tousands of tons of supply of all kind loaded at a given port in the States in so much amount of time, then something alike for how fast similar loads were handled on the other end, and for as many ports as you can find--you know, Australia and for the islands. I do know Morison occasionally gives these sorts of figures along the way. That might help as well.

Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”