New 2 X 2 game

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Sp40.zip
all of 3 tries with the zip-link above did work for me
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

OK, it downloaded fine, 209 k but when I try to unzip it with winzip I get:
Extracting to "C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's World At War\dat\save\GER_Sp40\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
skipping: GER_Sp40.psv unsupported compression method 9
error: no files were found - nothing to do

So it can see the file name but can't extract it. What did you use to zip it? Maybe I can dowload
a tool.
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Hmm, just rightclicked on it and added it to archive, it was surely not WinZip, but I would guess some generic program with WindowsXP since I can not recall installing any special zip-program here.

I zip'd it again under "normal" compression, might work now.

In addition I tried to put it up as a normal .psv file again, will paste a link for this one again, too, maybe it will work now.

CharonJr

http://homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Sp40.psv - nope, even though I have no clue why, now it keeps showing up as 12.7MB. So the zip is my only hope.

Sadly I have to get up in 5 hours to head for work here, I hope it works now since I have to get some sleep here. But I will take a look again before heading out for work.

If it didn't work I will try to grab a freeware zip program and write where I got it, this should ensure you being able to unpack it. Or do you use any freeware zipper and got a link where I can download it ?
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

Great news! It worked!

I'll play my turn and have it on its way shortly...

OK, just passed it on to Forwarn45@aol.com!
Forwarn45
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:53 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by Forwarn45 »

Hopefully we are off and running! I have finished my turns and emailed the game to the WA.
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by Barthheart »

My turn has been forwarded. Made my first mistake already![:@] See if you can find.[;)]

Where is everybody from? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

My turn has been forwarded. Made my first mistake already![:@] See if you can find.[;)]

Where is everybody from? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I made at least one dumb mistake too. Fortunately, I don't think anyone can see
it because of FOW!

I'm close! I'm from Minnesota which a lot of Americans consider southern Canada.
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Hehe, I join the "mistake" crew, but to call it a mistake would be too much I think, I is more like a suboptimal strategy [;)]

And you can be sure that I WILL be looking for that mistake [:D]

I am from Berlin, Germany but living in Frankfurt here btw.

Will leave the office in about 1h ;)
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Turn is up at

http://homes.highspeed3.de/CharonJr/GER_Su40.zip

Barthheart, does the mistake has something to do with transports ? [:D]

CharonJr
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by Barthheart »

Only partially! [:D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

As you will see maybe more than you thought, but I have to admit that I was a bit surprised myself [X(]

Never had that one before (which is not THAT hard after all of 5 games) [;)]

CharonJr
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

OK, just sent my turn. Looks like we have all the PBEM send
issues resolved. This looks like an interesting game. I see the Spanish
Gambit is in play!
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Is there really any other option for Germany unless you want to leave the Med to the Allies ? [;)]

CharonJr
Forwarn45
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:53 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by Forwarn45 »

Finished my turns. It was a nice lunch break for me. Sacramento, California here.
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by Barthheart »

Turn sent. Better this time.... I think... [:'(]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Sounds bad ;)

CharonJr
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

I have seen a seaborne invasion of Gibralter work. That allows sealing off the Med without taking out Spain.
But it only worked because I had stripped Gibralter to defend Scotland. Not sure how easy that would
be with a well defended Gibralter.

But I would agree that the current consensus seems to be that the Spanish Gambit is a valid move.
CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

CharonJr
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 am

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by CharonJr »

Hmm, with 4 transports this would be just 1 tank or 1 arty and 1 infantry, sounds like bad odds to me in a fortress on rough terrain even after some softening up by air.

CharonJr
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: New 2 X 2 game

Post by mavraamides »

On its way...
Post Reply

Return to “Opponents Wanted”