Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- wild_Willie2
- Posts: 2934
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
- Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...
Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
Hi,
I noticed that my enjoyment of kicking the AI’s but after some PBEM experience has gone down considerably.
Now when I am playing scen 15 against AI as the Japanese it just doesn’t feel right anymore to kill all those tankers that the AI is sending to re supply new guinea, or to sink that surface warfare taskforce that the AI has send to Manila, or even to nail al those subs that the AI is sending to Formosa.
I think that PBEM has spoiled me so rotten, I will never truly enjoy this game again against the AI…………
I noticed that my enjoyment of kicking the AI’s but after some PBEM experience has gone down considerably.
Now when I am playing scen 15 against AI as the Japanese it just doesn’t feel right anymore to kill all those tankers that the AI is sending to re supply new guinea, or to sink that surface warfare taskforce that the AI has send to Manila, or even to nail al those subs that the AI is sending to Formosa.
I think that PBEM has spoiled me so rotten, I will never truly enjoy this game again against the AI…………
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
I have to agree, and I've only played 3 turns of my first 2 PBEM games.
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
I can certainly go back to AI play as the one thing it provdes that PBEM cant is the ability to play multiple turns uninterupted. My only complaint about PBEM is that I hate the discontinuity. Multi-day turns at least compensate for this somewhat.
PBEM is also terrible in that it tends to make people at work (like myself right now) suffer uncontrollable eye twitchings because i'd really rather sneak out to my car and play the next PBEM turn rather than look at this bland computer monitor for the next 7 hours. [8D]
PBEM is also terrible in that it tends to make people at work (like myself right now) suffer uncontrollable eye twitchings because i'd really rather sneak out to my car and play the next PBEM turn rather than look at this bland computer monitor for the next 7 hours. [8D]
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
PBEM is also terrible in that it tends to make people at work (like myself right now) suffer uncontrollable eye twitchings because i'd really rather sneak out to my car and play the next PBEM turn rather than look at this bland computer monitor for the next 7 hours. [8D]
Oh yeah. When I go home, if there isn't a turn waiting for me, I find myself checking email every 15 minutes until one shows up.[:(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
-I think it´s hard to finish a game with PBEM (at least a big campaign), however, the AI is not exactly a challenging player. I´m considering the hypothesis of playing a big campaign vs. the AI with time limits imposed on myself. I have only 15 minutes to complete a turn (except for the first Japanese turn). I hope this would bring my own stupidity to the AI level. What do you think?
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
That sounds like a neat idea. I could check email for a PBEM turn while the turn is processing. Hmmm....
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
The AI can play a suprisingly effective game at times though in the overall picture, yes, it can never compete with a human mind. In my current AI game the computer countered my initial invasion of Northern Burma with suprisingly aggressive effectiveness puting my estimations of completing my objectives way off the mark. In the end though the AI's ultimate fobile doomed it. The AI here as with most other games i've played can be very good at reacting to a threat to an objective (such as the northern Burmese bases) but often is blind to the threat to it's own assets. I am now winning in Burma by the simple expediate of having outlfanked the AI and cutting off it's supplies. Now the only reason the going is still tough is because i'm playing on the Hard setting which gives the AI logistical bonuses. A human player would have immediately recognized the danger and acted accordingly.
In the Coral Sea the AI actually managed to take me by suprise and begin an effective bombing campaign that plastered the heavily reinforced PM and destroyed/stranded many heavy bombers. (Gee...guess Kenney was right in not permanantly basing B-17's at Morosby for most of 1942!) [X(]
In the Coral Sea the AI actually managed to take me by suprise and begin an effective bombing campaign that plastered the heavily reinforced PM and destroyed/stranded many heavy bombers. (Gee...guess Kenney was right in not permanantly basing B-17's at Morosby for most of 1942!) [X(]
- Sharkosaurus rex
- Posts: 467
- Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:25 am
- Location: under the waves
- Contact:
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
AI means artificial insanity
Is Sharkosaurus rex the biggest fish in the sea?
Why don't you come in for a swim?
Why don't you come in for a swim?
- Captain Cruft
- Posts: 3752
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 pm
- Location: England
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
I think a good challenge against the (historical) AI would be to play Japan and try and conquer the entire map.
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
not really, but in a pinch I could. PBEM is the way to go having way too much fun with my 2 campaign games.
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
Once I started playing PBEM with UV I just couldn't play the AI any longer.
I never played WitP AI, not for more than a few turns.
As good as it can be it's way worse than any human opponent.
I never played WitP AI, not for more than a few turns.
As good as it can be it's way worse than any human opponent.
Nec recisa recedit
- wild_Willie2
- Posts: 2934
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
- Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
Oh yeah. When I go home, if there isn't a turn waiting for me, I find myself checking email every 15 minutes until one shows up.
I MUST AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
YES, once you start playing a PBMEs you dont want anymore the AI.
BUT...you need the AI[:'(], to tasted some things, the AI is a good sparring to tasted things and put in practice in my PBMEs games...
you can practice your invasions, for example (wacht out¡¡ WILL-WILLIE[:D] without less loosees
BUT...you need the AI[:'(], to tasted some things, the AI is a good sparring to tasted things and put in practice in my PBMEs games...
you can practice your invasions, for example (wacht out¡¡ WILL-WILLIE[:D] without less loosees
Epsilon Eridani
- wild_Willie2
- Posts: 2934
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
- Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
you can practice your invasions, for example (wacht out¡¡ WILL-WILLIE without less loosees
I have my PT's, flush decker DD's AND my subs waiting for your "invasion" ......
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2
I have my PT's, flush decker DD's AND my subs waiting for your "invasion" ......
What more could you want or ask for?[:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
- wild_Willie2
- Posts: 2934
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
- Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
What more could you want or ask for?
Zecke has got at least 5 carriers in the corall sea, Mine are not in the area. So I will try to do the most damage to his invasion fleet by night attack runs with "light" forces and will be hunting his CV's with my subs............
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex
AI means artificial insanity

- Attachments
-
- Image1.jpg (134.87 KiB) Viewed 660 times
-
bradfordkay
- Posts: 8686
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
- Location: Olympia, WA
RE: Can you go back to playing the AI after PBEM??
So Hartley, are you playing as the allies or the Japanese in that one?
fair winds,
Brad
Brad








