ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Tristan,
Yes, I'd like to run your example scenario/save here for my own tests. Please e-mail it to me at erikr@matrixgames.com. Thanks.
Before we get another pile-up on Matrix/2by3 here, I'd like to point out what seems to me to be obvious, but apparently may not be for some. For any sufficiently complex design, given enough time, you can find a place where it fails to be accurate. I don't know of any complex computer wargame that passes this test and many that are much simpler fail even more spectacularly.
As a player, my view on this is that the results are out of whack, but they reinforce one key lesson which is that bombers should not fly into CAP without escort. For smaller raids, the game seems to work fine. I'll be testing to see if it works fine when Tonys are not involved too. Ultimately though, while the losses should be lower for the bombers, the point ends up the same. In an actual game, with ongoing use, chances are the bomber and fighter morale and fatigue would not be as high. When both sides are at max morale and minimum fatigue, engagements tend to be more bloody.
Anyway, please forward the test save/scenario and I'll have a go at it. Thanks.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik, glad you showed up.
I'm about to take a shower, though, and have to head downtown. After my appointment I'll be glad to send the two turns to you with the passwords and you can fiddle with it on your own. In fact I just replied to timtom I think it was regarding my intention to do the same, as I originally intended to run the test by decreasing the numbers of heavies in logical steps in the hope of finding a happier "threshold" (if indeed, one exists).
As far as flying heavies without escort: this was SOP in both theaters until the Mustang arrived (well, the Allies could and did use fighters for the close-in work over France) and you can easily verify the kill ratios for yourself, year by year, as published by the USAAF Bombing Survey. Enough said on that, I think.
As for fatigue: I intentionally recuperated the heavies so that everything good went in their favor. Unfortunately, Tom had half of them with orders to fly when their morale and fatigue was in the 40s and 50s, which I felt would be unfair to the model with regards to this test--skewing the results in favor of the Japanese, setting the bombers up for a pratfall as it were because of this poor condition. I also spent PPs to give these American heavy-bomber squadrons the best leaders I could find, as well as the best Air HQ leader I could find. Again, I did all this with the clear intention to be as fair as possible to the model. As you can see, the result still came out badly.
It's not easy to get the fatigue of the fighters up much higher than 10 or so no matter how long one places them on LRCAP, but if you're willing to take the time maybe you can coax it up to 15 or 20 or thereabouts. As it happens, in the game I've "retrieved" Port Moreseby for the Allies. It had been isolated and reduced, with all of its facilities wrecked, but I simply shipped another couple hundred engineers over there with another hundred engineer vehicles, plus I gave it decent supply to work with, something Port Moresby always needs and should never be without (players beware), and so now it's a proper fortress. You'll see! [:)]
So, you do have ready means to "wear down" those Japanese fighters by simply opposing with sweeps the Allied fighters present at Port Moresby. If you want, I could do that as well. Keep in mind, though, that the fairest test is the one I've already presented, with both sides pretty much in prime operating condition. That tends to strip away variables outside the bounds of the plane/leader specs themselves. Agreed?
Whether fatigue and morale prove to make that much of a difference I couldn't say at the moment, but my gut feeling is that these factors will not make much of difference unless you reduce the condition of those Japanese fighters to near exhaustion. But a test will tell us that definitely.
Anyway, I appreciate your interest as a player. I'll get that stuff off to you ASAP.









