As the person who started this thread a while back, I must say that I had thought it had out lived its usefulness some days ago, though recently it has “reawoken”. So I though I’d summarize some things for the sake of clarity.
My original post had the purpose of reporting some results I had gotten as Japanese player in a PBEM campaign game with TommyG. Even though I was the Japanese player I was reporting results that looked a bit out of whack. Losses of 51 B17s ( out of 67 flying ) to 8 fighters ( out of 83 flying if I remember correctly … 43 Tony’s and 40 Zeros. ).
A similar result was obtained a few days later in that same game and posted here.
Save files were sent to Mr. Frag with passwords for both sides. I haven’t seen a report back yet, but hopefully one will be forth coming shortly.
Some of you have pointed out that B17s are too powerful, and possibly thus implying the heavy losses are an effective counter balance.
Some have indicated comparisons with Europe are invalid, were large ( 100+ ) unescorted B17 strikes did not suffer such heavy losses even in the face of the most effective opposition the B17s ever did face ( in the Schweinfurt raids ).
I have mentioned that Balikpapan raids of later 1944 as possible comparison ( the first 2 raids were large and unescorted ).
And finally I might point out that though I have been called by some, an “Allied Fan Boy” for starting this post. That of my 800 roughly PBEM campaign game turns ( that I’ve played to date ) 750 of them have been playing the Japanese, only 50 of them have been as the Allies and that game ( CHS ) is only into late January 1942, so I haven’t had the opportunity to drive large B17 missions mnyself ( yet ! ). But in several of my games B17s have been able to dominate a given area if used on mass.
There are too many B17s in the stock game, everyone I believe has agreed to this. This fact in and of itself encourages more of a “throw away” attitude towards these beasts because if they get beat up you just pull out the remnants, press the “replace” boo-tawn … and pretty soon you’re ready to go try again !
B17s are ship killers. Used at 5000 or even 1000 feet, B17s can devastate entire groups of ships. This is not to say B17s did not bomb ships during the real way. In fact they probably spent as much time bombing ships in the real war, as they did doing anything else, but they get not get so many hits. So the accuracy factor is the issue. I have not seen any indication that this will be modified.
Used on mass B17s can control the airspace, in a given area by knocking out the major airbase in that area and suppressing smaller airbases before the large one can recover.
It was actually this last fact that led me as the Japanese player in my game with TommyG to try to mount the kind of defense I did mount with the 70+ Zeros and Tonys ( actually there were about 200 fighters on the ground, but I was using LRCAP and only 70 or so showed up at the fight ). The only problem was that the results were TOO GOOD !!!
Since the B17 did not fly large ( multi-group ) missions in the real Pacific war ( why ? Lack of suitable basing and difficulty maintaining the planes in inhospitable conditions – and lack of sufficient total numbers to overcome these other shortcomings ) the only possible comparisons can come from later B24 missions in the Pacific or from Early ( pre-escort ) missions in Europe. {{{ BTW since the game doesn't model these difficulties sufficiently, Allied players CAN launch large raids and this push us into the situtation that causeed this thread }}}
Some have said that comparisons with Europe are invalid. A few words on that topic.
There are two set of factors to consider. One set regarding B17 effectiveness, the other set regarding fighter defensive effectiveness, and then there are the results.
So on the one hand we have the Japanese fighters and B17s in the Pacific and on the other hand we have the German fighters and B17s in Europe. The result sets are the results in my game with TommyG and the results for unescorted multi-group B17s attacks in Europe ( mostly in 1943 ).
Note that the results that we obtained in the game 51/67 and 48/105 or 78% and 45% losses were extremely higher than the 26% and 19% loss rates achieved by the Germans during their best 2 days at Schweinfurt.
Further I would submit that German fighter defenses were clearly superior to Japanese fighter defenses.
1. Radar, German use of radar was much more prevalent in the fighter defense system for mainland Europe than Japans use of radar for her out lying possessions. Japanese homeland defense in 1945 begin to approach the German system in Europe, but was fighting a rather different beast, the B29.
2. Fighter bases. Outwardly copying the British system, the Germans used large number of small fighter bases. This meant that it was more difficult to knock out the fighter defense in an area on the ground, due to greater dispersion and it was cheaper to get more planes in the air faster due to not having to build a few large bases.
3. Ground Controllers. Based on input, primarily from the radar, the ground controllers would attempt to predict the targets and thus flight paths of the incoming bombers and vector fighter units onto their paths.
( Note all the above were first used by the British against the Germans in the Battle of Britain, but the Germans not desiring to stand on principal considered the techniques thus validated and put them into practice on their side of the moat ).
4. Experience. While the pre-war Japanese ( Army and Navy ) pilots had considerable experience, much of it was against the Chinese. German pilots however, by 1942-43 had experience against the British as well and much more formidable opponent. I’ve read accounts ( from AVG and from Russian during the 2 border incidents ) that Japanese fighter pilots and air commanders did not understand massed tactics nor air superiority campaigns.
Because the results in our game EXCEED the best results the Germans ever got and if we agree the German fighter defense were better than the Japanese, then the RL results obtained by the Germans, should form an upper bound for results obtainable by the Japanese and thus if the results we get in the game are HIGHER than this upper bound we can question that result.
Once the results in the game are less than or equal to the German results, then comparisons are less useful, but as long as the results we are getting are HIGHER than the results obtained by the more effective force, I would humbly submit that comparisons are valid.
Treespider was nice enough to post a link to an article containing a description of the Balikpapan raids. Based on looking at that, only the first of the 5 raids reall yfits the profile that Frag has asked us for. Multi-group, unescorted against effective Japanese fighter opposition. So I sill need to get at least one more. But here is an excerpt from the linked article:
The B-24s of the Sth and the 13th Air Forces, based respectively on Owi and Numfoor in the Schouten Islands, conducted the first mission against Balikpapan. Flying the 2,600-mile roundtrip from Owl and Numfoor required 3,500 gallons of fuel-more than 11 tons-per plane. Because the bomb load added another 1 1/4 tons, ammunition had to be halved to reduce weight. Even so, the B-24s were 12,000 pounds over the recommended payload when they began the sortie. Soon after midnight on September 30, 1944, 72 Liberators, 48 from the 13th and 24 from the Sth, rumbled off the 7,000-foot runways at Numfoor and Owi and disappeared into the darkness on their way to Balikpapan.
Although Japan was increasingly strapped for aircraft, it had reserved some of its best planes to defend the refineries; (this showed the importance attached to them). During the mission, fierce resistance over the target resulted in the loss of five Liberators, two of which crashed on their way back to Numfoor, and 15 were damaged. Poor visibility prevented them from accurately bombing, and the results left much to be desired.
Note that 72 B24s flew the mission and at most 7 ( 10% ) could be attributable to being lost to the fighters.
( and yes someone has said that I should argue for higher fighter losses and not for lower bomber losses .. actually I should ask for both .. but this post is already way too long ! )