ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Tristan,
You may have misunderstood my reply on the previous thread, because your posts above seem to indicate that I said that in large air battles, with certain different variables, the losses would not be too severe. What I said was that some of the variables decrease losses but large air battles are still too bloody and we can't change that on the code side without rewriting the model, which is a huge job with uncertain results that isn't going to happen.
Players need to take this fact of the current model into account when deciding how large a raid they want to conduct. If they meet up with a lot of CAP, particularly a lot of CAP with heavier fighters (like the Tony) that won't be warded off as easily, they will drop from the sky in large numbers. I'm not sure what purpose this thread will serve in providing information or an answer that wasn't already covered in the previous thead.
Regards,
- Erik
Maybe I did misunderstand you before, Erik. I don't wish to sound contentious, but I'd like to be sure I do undertand you this time for sure.
As I understand it, you're saying 1) it's a case of the strength of CAP primarily, not how many bombers are in the attack force, and 2) if the Japanese put up enough CAP heavy bombers (this to include B-29s I presume, but I don't know) will get slaughtered to one degree or another.
Do I have that right? (Before I thought it was a function of both CAP strength and bomber strength, but I guess I read you wrong on that score. If it's just CAP strength, then I don't have to mess with bomber strength. That's good. It will make the test easier to run.)
Anyway, if I have it right now, the implication is that this part of the game can't be reasonably played without a houserule that limits the amount of CAP the Japanese player can oppose Allied heavy bombers with, and how players might possibly arrive at that with re to what's "fair" is beyond me at the moment. But I'm more than willing to listen to suggestions. (There's also the question of how much CAP the Japanese player could oppose Allied medium bombers with. At least I'd guess there is. But I'd be happy to conduct that test next if you ask, and then we'll know for sure.)
Back to heavies.
How shall Allied heavy-bomber attacks be conducted against targets in, say, the SRA or over Japan? Do the Allies limit themselves to so many bombers and the Japanese limit themselves to so much CAP? I'd guess so. (Even though you suggest that the number of heavies doesn't affect air-to-air results, the number of heavies would affect damage to the target from bombs dropped. So we need to find a happy medium there, where enough bombers fly and are met with the right number of CAP fighters and the right amount of damage is done to the target. At least I see it that way.)
In that case, what are the numbers that work? At the moment I don't know. Do you? If so, please tell me.
The purpose of this test is to try and find those numbers, for whatever that's worth. I thought I stated that clearly enough in the third post of this thread. If I didn't state it clearly enough,
mea culpa. But that's why I'm here doing this work. It has to be done by someone or
no one will know what they're doing in the game when it comes to bombing. (If we don't know what those numbers are, how could anyone devise a decent hourserule to cover this system failure?)
I could be missing something critical here. If so, what is it?