I lost in 4 days

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by mogami »

Hi, Don't worry we can "Dog" you but we can't eat you. I just don't believe the result were bad enough to end the game over but thats just me. The IJN CV are "fun" and important to be sure but the Japanese player is going to have to face losing them at some point and since they are not required to capture the SRA or build Central Pacific Defense the game could proceed. The Japanese now of course have to pay more attention to using land based assets. And not try any adventures outside air control.
If the Japanese are going to be allowed to admit defeat when it is clear they can't win AV everygame will end early in 1943 so the game will become Japanese adventure versus Allied defense. Really there is no need to ever take a game past May 1943. If the Japanese have not won by then they are not going to. All they can do after that is go the distance and hope for a draw. Now I consider a draw a resounding Japanese victory so I play from turn 1 to attain that result. (aim low )
I'm sorry if other poster thought my "cowardly dog" was meant as a serius remark (it was not )
In the end whether or not a game ends or contiunes is between the players not the peanut gallery.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Praetorian
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 4:13 pm
Location: Bucharest,Romania

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by Praetorian »

Hi,

He quit on me this time and I am not upset. The next time however I will be furious.
So I developed two strategies:
- The first one is to allow him to win something in the early months [:'(] (this should not be too difficult) before wiping out his fleet;
- The second one is play to win from turn one, and remind him that he should stay the course no matter what, he did quit on me once after all.

Joking aside, he told me that he is a rookie with the Japanese and I was lucky. So he gets a rematch. I will be upset if he quits (surrenders) on me again.

Mike
User avatar
mc3744
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Italy

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by mc3744 »

Last post on the subject (from me)

Although I don't particularly appreciate judgmental posts in a game forum - I'm talking in general - that's not what pissed me.

Someone said that I lied to cover an adveture gone wrong.
That's an unpleasant and baseless accusation. I'm offended by it. I shouldn't probably care what's been said here, but I've been enjoying this forum and this game for the past year and I really am displeased by this behaviour. Especially since I can find no reason for it.

Anyway since so many consider quitting a such mortal and abysmal sin, I may be wrong and they may be right. Hence if Praetorian is all right I'll send him the next move of the 'old' game (the one I thought I could quit). He'll decide when the game can 'lawfully' and 'morally' be ended.

Beware my other current PBEM opponets: should you quit on me, hell is waiting for you [;)]
You'll be publicy executed for the joy of the forum.
Nec recisa recedit
Praetorian
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 4:13 pm
Location: Bucharest,Romania

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by Praetorian »

mc3744, I understand the reasons behind your decision. If you wish to continue our game then I am all for it, it is in my advantage after all. I also accepted a restart, your call.

And remember:

Nec recisa recedit
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by Speedysteve »

My take on it is that each game situation should be decided upon by the participant players. Therefore its important to play against someone who views/thoughts on how they play etc is compatible. It's kinda like dating [:D]

My philosophy on playing is that I play the game to enjoy it and I try not to do gamey stuff. I accept that things will go wrong (this is War after all) and sure I don't like it when something does not go to plan but it makes me enjoy the game even more in some ways and makes me more determined to succeeed/find new ways of solving the situation.

For example: if I lose a CV i'm like b*stard how dare you sink a CV of mine. You will pay! [;)]

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Charbroiled
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: Oregon

RE: I lost in 4 days

Post by Charbroiled »

mc3744,

If I had been the Allies in your situation, I would have encouraged a restart. I agree with you that restarting a 5+ year long game after a disaster 4 days out might be prudent (especially if you had no experience as Japan). As playing the allies, your disaster would rob me of future entertainment further into the game....unless I found joy in stomping you butt.[:D] In order for a PBEM game to be successful, both players must enjoy it.[:'(]
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”