Ex-Talonsoft people

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ess1
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:13 am
Location: Newport, Shropshire, U.K.

RE: Ex-Talonsoft people

Post by ess1 »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

If you guys like the old Battleground Civil War games, and you have the money, you should try some of the newer HPS versions, especially the Gettysburg Campaign and Penninsular Campaigns. They are basically the same game system as the old Battlegrond series but have many new enhancements that make the games play much better. The biggest difference is that now you can select to play with an auto defensive fire setting so that defensive units get to fire while units are moving up instead of having to wait till all the phasing units have moved. This give a much more realistic and fluid feeling when maneuvering troops. It also eliminates one mailing when playing someone by email. There is also a new combat results formula that gives much more accurate fire and melee results. I'm not real pleased with the terrain and unit graphics but I've been able to incorporate my own graphics that make the new games look just like the old Battleground games. And of course all these games come with a campaign game too.

The AI is still weak, but when I play solitaire, I usually play both sides as human with full Fog of War. However, these games really bloom when playing against a[:)]nother person. I have probably spent more time playing, tweaking and creating with these games than any other game I own.
You should try them as pbem. Join Napoleonics Warfare Club for: " Eckmuhl, Wagram and latest Waterloo".
There are, of course, other clubs/sites[:)]
User avatar
Hertston
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:45 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

RE: Ex-Talonsoft people

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

I guess I should have explained that I only play these games in the 2D mode. It looks much more like a board game to me. I do not like the 3D images at all even if they were more clearly done.


I'm enjoying Gettysburg immensely (and have just ordered Peninsula) and these games are a huge improvement on the old Talonsoft stuff. I totally agree on the graphics; I play exclusively in 2D also - the 3D is only in there, I think, because people seem to expect it and it serves no real purpose. 3D normal shows far too small a section of the map (except on the very smallest scenarios) to be any use at all, and 3D zoom-out is just a confused mess. 2D is just fine though, and with some nice photo-portraits the game looks smart enough. The only problem was that with the default graphics it was sometimes hard to distinguish contours, but there's a mod that solves that problem nicely.

TAIL GUNNER
Posts: 1156
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:10 am
Location: Los Osos, CA

RE: Ex-Talonsoft people

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Dave Briggs....your name is familiar.....did you work on mods for East Front II?


Thanks everyone else for all the info....Talonsoft was a great company, and I'll forever despise Take-Two Interactive[:D]

Chad
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
User avatar
1NWCG
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:17 am
Contact:

RE: Ex-Talonsoft people

Post by 1NWCG »

I still enjoy the Battleground series and play them often in the two clubs I am in.

Rich Hamilton's Scenario Design Center is a really good site.

Scenario Design Center

All in all the only reason why I still play Battleground, is because the graphics are beautiful, but I am playing HPS more and more.

HPS Waterloo is a better game then other HPS' and a far cry from original Eckmuhl.

Also the Cobexlaw and NIA Mods are not bad either.

NIA

Cobexlaw

Volcano Man's Graphics for all HPS are very good too:

Volcano Man
Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives
User avatar
Brigz
Posts: 842
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:00 am

RE: Ex-Talonsoft people

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Dave Briggs....your name is familiar.....did you work on mods for East Front II?

No. Amazingly there are a LOT of Dave Briggs' out there. I know of three David L Briggs' other than myself in my immediate vicinity, and one of them honors our name by keeping collection people calling me because he has FUBAR credit.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”