How can I get my HQ back?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

How can I get my HQ back?

Post by shall59 »

I airlifted 5th AF HQ from Port Moresby to the Admiralty Islands. The game said they airlifted and then the air group started transporting supplies as normal. About five turns later I checked and the 5th AF HQ was no more!!! It didn't exist anywhere in the game, it was gone. This is the second time something like this has happened. The first time it didn't bother me because it was some podunk unit. I like Gen Kenney, I've read his book, I want him back! Is there a way I can edit the game to get the 5th HQ back in the game, preferably in the Admiralty Islands?

By the way, "General Kenney Reports" is the great, easy to read storey of his time leading the 5th AF.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by mogami »

Hi, Send $5 to "Mr Frag fixes things" PO Box 1369 Moosebeard Canada 6785943234-6857-345a
(send file to Frag explain what goes where)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
ckk
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pensacola Beach FL

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by ckk »

Sounds like the old disappearing unit bug[:D] IIRC you have the HQ's you just can't see it or move it again. Check how much support you have at the gaining base. If you have more than the total visible units support then thats where it is . In the future when you transport by air or otherwise wait until you have most of the unit at the destination. Stop transporting for one turn. The fragment at the gainng base should turn into the parent unit. You can then safely transport the rest of the unit[;)]
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by Mr.Frag »

Unit will be sitting where you sent it with an arrival date of 1999 days. God how I hate this bug. Mike has tried to fix it many times, Mike has written protection routines to try and prevent in when the fixes failed. It still happens. [:@]
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by shall59 »

Yeah, both times this has happened to me was when I had enough airlift at the base to transport the whole unit in one turn.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by Mr.Frag »

Send me the save, I'll try and make it come back to life.
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: shall59

...when I had enough airlift at the base to transport the whole unit in one turn.
[X(]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
Ian R
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cammeraygal Country

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by Ian R »

This happened to me once when I transported a light aa btn from Darwin to Lautern.

Funny thing is, it later reappeared.

Unfortunately it was in between interesting stuff happening. I was running 3 days at at time at that point, while doing some work (sort of) without doing much more at the breaks than skimming the reports, rotating the heavy bombers and adjusting a few convoys before running another 3 days. So I am not sure what happened. I didn't notice it until later.

My best guess at the time was that I either rested the air transport squadron for a turn or 3 before finishing airlifting the next unit, and then they both turned up, or I disbanded and reformed a transport convoy in Lautern (or maybe Darwin) to cull out some barely still afloat transports and it turned up as if it had been loaded on the TF.

This bug has a warm feeling of nostalgia attached to it. Anyone else remember the dissappearing ships in Pacwar? As I recall they would sometimes reappear later as well when you took a series of steps leading to disbanding a TF in a certain order.
"I am Alfred"
User avatar
michaelm75au
Posts: 12467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by michaelm75au »

Hi
Or he can wait 54 years for it to show up.[:D]

Michael
Michael
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by Mr.Frag »

Yea, problem is it shows up at the north pole when it comes back ... not only is it setting it to 19999 days out, it is also setting the hex to 0,0

Send me the save with the unit name and location. I will try and fix.
User avatar
Freddy Fudpucker
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:03 pm

RE: How can I get my HQ back?

Post by Freddy Fudpucker »


As I understand it, this happens sometimes when the very last part (the main part) of the unit transfers and somehow gets lost.

The best way to avoid this happening is to wait until over half of the unit has been transported and then stop the troop transport order and then re-issue it. What should happen when you cancel the order is that the portion of the unit so far sent now becomes the main part and the balance becomes the fragment. The unit should not now suffer from the 'mysterious disappearing unit bug'.
Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. -Capt. E. Blackadder.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”