Losing the war
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Losing the war
Hi, How about real time where you have to establish contact with a unit to issue orders (radio/telephone/teletype/courier/pigeon/smoke signals vist it personally)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
RE: Losing the war
add in a garbled/misunderstood/insubordinate routine that sometimes causes the TacAI to alter or ignore your instructions. It would be the first wargame to authentically simulate the dreaded toll on a supreme commander's blood pressure.
RE: Losing the war
I have been considering writing a World War II game on the scale you guys are talking about although hex size would be more like UV than WitP. If I get serious about it, a few good men are going to get some e-mails about OOB's, graphics, etc.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
How many hours do you have spare in the day Oznoyng? [X(]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
Hi, Ozy is going to rent me a room with a fridge full of Pilsner Urquell. .....Goodbye WITP
(Well in about 2 years he will be ready for me)
(Well in about 2 years he will be ready for me)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16734
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Losing the war
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
add in a garbled/misunderstood/insubordinate routine that sometimes causes the TacAI to alter or ignore your instructions. It would be the first wargame to authentically simulate the dreaded toll on a supreme commander's blood pressure.
Won't work. People will say it's a glitch in the program when it doesn't do what they want.
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Losing the war
That is indeed the question. All things being equal, I am not daunted by the task of developing the game per se. The game system is doable. The various pieces are all doable. The bigger question is can I devote the time and money to it since the architecture I envision for the game would take money to put in place.ORIGINAL: Speedy
How many hours do you have spare in the day Oznoyng? [X(]
The OOB, just for one worldwide scenario is a serious time commitment. I can categorically say that I would not be able do it without the help of some of the talent available here on the boards - Don Bowen, Pry, Mogami, Frag, Lemurs, Andrew, Tankerace (anyone seen him lately?), the CHS crew not already mentioned, etc.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
-
bradfordkay
- Posts: 8686
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
- Location: Olympia, WA
RE: Losing the war
Hi, How about real time where you have to establish contact with a unit to issue orders (radio/telephone/teletype/courier/pigeon/smoke signals vist it personally)
I had an idea for a "continuous time" strategic game of the age of sail where units continued on their last orders until a ship bearing new dispatches reached those units. The whole system would depend upon commander ratings: initiative, agressiveness, etc. Governors of distant bases could issue orders to units in their command, but not to units in other commands. New orders from London, Paris, Madrid, etc would override the local orders. Unfortunately, I am no programmer and so never got beyond developing the original outline...
I had an idea for a "continuous time" strategic game of the age of sail where units continued on their last orders until a ship bearing new dispatches reached those units. The whole system would depend upon commander ratings: initiative, agressiveness, etc. Governors of distant bases could issue orders to units in their command, but not to units in other commands. New orders from London, Paris, Madrid, etc would override the local orders. Unfortunately, I am no programmer and so never got beyond developing the original outline...
fair winds,
Brad
Brad
RE: Losing the war
YUKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:@]
We hatz the real time games......
only one i could ever tolerate was Combat mission because that one was an integration of turn based and real time and combined the best elements of both.
We hatz the real time games......
only one i could ever tolerate was Combat mission because that one was an integration of turn based and real time and combined the best elements of both.
RE: Losing the war
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
Hi, How about real time where you have to establish contact with a unit to issue orders (radio/telephone/teletype/courier/pigeon/smoke signals vist it personally)
I had an idea for a "continuous time" strategic game of the age of sail where units continued on their last orders until a ship bearing new dispatches reached those units. The whole system would depend upon commander ratings: initiative, agressiveness, etc. Governors of distant bases could issue orders to units in their command, but not to units in other commands. New orders from London, Paris, Madrid, etc would override the local orders. Unfortunately, I am no programmer and so never got beyond developing the original outline...
Hi, That sounds really nice. I've always considered the period from around 1750 to 1830 as a series of "World Wars" Between various alliances
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
-
bradfordkay
- Posts: 8686
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
- Location: Olympia, WA
RE: Losing the war
It was BoB and BoTR that prompted me into that idea (I really enjoyed watching the daily operations take place). I wanted real weather systems, prevailing winds and tides involved, since those are very important to naval operations in those days. For my preference, it would have to move slowly or have a regularly scheduled stop (a la BoTR and CM) where you can issue orders, but it would have to play out in continuous time for the weather and tide effects to work properly.
fair winds,
Brad
Brad
RE: Losing the war
ah, well BTR i wouldn't consider real time as you have an orders phase and even during the execution phase, battles resolve one at a time.
one long battle at a time......[:D]
(someday i'll try playing that monster)
one long battle at a time......[:D]
(someday i'll try playing that monster)
-
anarchyintheuk
- Posts: 3958
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: Dallas
RE: Losing the war
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
add in a garbled/misunderstood/insubordinate routine that sometimes causes the TacAI to alter or ignore your instructions. It would be the first wargame to authentically simulate the dreaded toll on a supreme commander's blood pressure.
I thought that's what we had?
RE: Losing the war
I only acheived it during the last release when the auto convoy system broke.
bases
airfields
ports
OH MY!!!
(pulling gobs of hair out as he watches all his bases running out of supply)
bases
airfields
ports
OH MY!!!
(pulling gobs of hair out as he watches all his bases running out of supply)
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Nik,
If you ever want a game of BTR let me know. I have 2 going at the moment. Pop into JC's site for the latest updates etc on it.
If you ever want a game of BTR let me know. I have 2 going at the moment. Pop into JC's site for the latest updates etc on it.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
two....the man has 2 games going.
what did i do wrong at birth to not have all this time to spend doing what man was meant to do? play wagames (along with ride horses and eat Chili dogs that is....) [8|]
what did i do wrong at birth to not have all this time to spend doing what man was meant to do? play wagames (along with ride horses and eat Chili dogs that is....) [8|]
RE: Losing the war
well let it not be said that forum discussions dont generate positive results.
Got my Steel Panther's fix last night after a long hiatus....after upgrading to 8.4
ah......T-26's blowing up. KV's shrugging off 50mm hits. Pz-II's fleeing the scene. mass chaos on the battlefield......life is good [:D]
Got my Steel Panther's fix last night after a long hiatus....after upgrading to 8.4
ah......T-26's blowing up. KV's shrugging off 50mm hits. Pz-II's fleeing the scene. mass chaos on the battlefield......life is good [:D]
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
two....the man has 2 games going.
what did i do wrong at birth to not have all this time to spend doing what man was meant to do? play wagames (along with ride horses and eat Chili dogs that is....) [8|]
Tell me about it. Coupled with life I find the most I do 5 turns per WiTP PBEM game per week and 3 turns PBEM for BTR games. Will be a little better when I get Broadband.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
-
Speedysteve
- Posts: 15990
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Reading, England
RE: Losing the war
Haven't played SP for a while.
Since i'm feeling lazy you can tell me [:'(] does 8.4 offer a lot of changes?
Since i'm feeling lazy you can tell me [:'(] does 8.4 offer a lot of changes?
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
RE: Losing the war
havn't had time to really dig through it yet, but one change i immediately noticed was that they reversed the previous "fiddling" with the poor T-34's....and restored it's front hull rating from a reduced 40mm back to 47mm. There appear to have been some more slight adjustments to some of the Soviet and German gun penetration ratings....probably due to Lorrin Bird's ongoing balistics research. I'm not sure but they might have gotten rid of the "armor quality" feature as i dont see it listed anymore in the enyc.
On the bad side....the Sherman gun anomoly that i've complained about from day one is still there and noone has ever explained to me why it's there. [:@]
There may have been a tweak in the targeting routines. The scenerio i played last night had the German elite's targeting at 1000 yards very well with their 50mm's In the past, these smaller guns had been fairly hard to hit with, even when the tank wasn't moving. it was nice. Take THAT you Soviet hordes with your cheap tinker toy tanks!!!!
On the bad side....the Sherman gun anomoly that i've complained about from day one is still there and noone has ever explained to me why it's there. [:@]
There may have been a tweak in the targeting routines. The scenerio i played last night had the German elite's targeting at 1000 yards very well with their 50mm's In the past, these smaller guns had been fairly hard to hit with, even when the tank wasn't moving. it was nice. Take THAT you Soviet hordes with your cheap tinker toy tanks!!!!

