Keeping track

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Keeping track

Post by Raverdave »

Currently running three PBEMs, and everything is in my head.......no notes as there are spies around everywhere.
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Bobthehatchit
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: GREAT BRITAIN

RE: Keeping track

Post by Bobthehatchit »

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

Does anyone use a pen and paper, Windows notepad, or any other tool for keeping track of game information that's not handled well by the current WitP interface?

If so, what is the information you track?

Nope use a combination of the seat of my pant's method [X(] ( trying to remeber to do everything and usually forgeting at least one important thing) and the DOH! method ( when i forget to do something like stand and airgroup down or move a sub for several turns).[:(]
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.


Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
DuncanLang
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: Spotsylvania, VA

RE: Keeping track

Post by DuncanLang »

I am pretty new to the game and am still learning, but I do keep track of a number of things, mostly as a memory aid. I like to keep things at an operational level, so I do not keep track of a lot of the detailed information. For what I do track, I just write it down, but I have made up some forms to organize the info:

•Garrison/Available Forces. To track forces (land/sea/air) by base as to whether I consider them “garrison” or available for operations elsewhere.
•Orders. General orders (“defend”, “attack to seize …”, “assemble force to…”, etc.) by command.
•Troop Lists. To track forces (land/sea/air) by mission (minesweeping, bombardment, support, etc.) for major operations.
•Operations Reports. Mostly an historical record of significant events (sea battles, invasions, major air raids, etc.) by date.
•Intelligence Reports. To track key reports such as location of major units, indications of pending attacks, significant damage to enemy forces, etc..
•Task Force Assignments. To track by TF # what my intentions were for specific TFs. Mostly those that are not immediately obvious, such as a TF that was to go to a certain base, load a particular unit(s) and take it somewhere else.
•Ship Units. Just a personal quirk, but I like to organize and assign my combat ships by divisions/squadrons of ship type/class similarly to what both sides did historically. I use this form to record which ships are in which units.
User avatar
bilbow
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:26 am
Location: Concord NH

RE: Keeping track

Post by bilbow »

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Currently running three PBEMs, and everything is in my head.......no notes as there are spies around everywhere.

Similar to what I do with 5 PBEMS although I'm not as paranoid. [:D] The only record I keep are the sigint reports, but only when I'm Allied. A few months of them loaded up as a serchable database can be very useful.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”