B-17s and Warships

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Rainerle
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Burghausen/Bavaria
Contact:

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Rainerle »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

If the heavy bombers were so awful at hitting shipping, why do you suppose they continued the anti-shipping mission with heavy bombers, into the even the Korean War? The powers that be were not THAT dense to keep sending out heavy bombers day after day, when it (according you), they knew they were never hitting anything. "Lets just go drop 30 tons of ordinance into the sea today. We've been doing it now for 6 months. We've never once hit anything. But it's fun. So let's keep doing it for the next 9 years, because one day we just might hit something?" Um. Right.


-F-


Reason maybe that the crews reported inflated sinking reports ??
Image
Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

ORIGINAL: Feinder

If the heavy bombers were so awful at hitting shipping, why do you suppose they continued the anti-shipping mission with heavy bombers, into the even the Korean War? The powers that be were not THAT dense to keep sending out heavy bombers day after day, when it (according you), they knew they were never hitting anything. "Lets just go drop 30 tons of ordinance into the sea today. We've been doing it now for 6 months. We've never once hit anything. But it's fun. So let's keep doing it for the next 9 years, because one day we just might hit something?" Um. Right.


-F-


Reason maybe that the crews reported inflated sinking reports ??

B-24s operating out of China with minimal supply sanks hundreds of thousands of tons of shipping and warships in a relatively brief campaign. The Japanese actually mounted a (successful) offensive largely to deny bases to the B-24s (offensive also done to clear a rail line).
Tophat
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:07 am
Location: Cleveland,Ohio

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Tophat »

ORIGINAL: moses

These were my bombers. The first flight was flying at 15,000 ft I believe and I think I had 20 or more attack. (12 may have been the number that go through the zero's.) The carriers were sitting 120 miles south of Numea. I had SBD's and a load of fighters also supporting the attack. I got two hits from the B17's but the SBD did the real damage landing a 1000 lb bomb.

The next day they hit the Hiryu, at 10,000 ft, which was covered by only 5 zero's and showed signs of significant damage. 3 bombs hit the crippled carrier. I don't know that it will get away as the carrier is still well within B17 range and I should get another strike. Plus his retreat path is toward luganville/Efeat(sp??) where I also have airfields.

I don't know how accurate the simulation is here since I don't recall a single instance where a large flight of heavy bombers attacked a large fleet. The only incident I know of is Midway which I think involved only a half-dozen aircraft attacking on thier own.


Ok,
So there were several strikes at varying altitudes going in and good allied Fighter escort added to the equation. Out of some 20 committed 12 B-17's get through and drop their loads scoring 2 hits from 15,000ft. Yea,that just seems like bad luck,but not worth all this venting.
Be irked that you sent carriers into damn short range of an allied airbase with Fighter and "DIVEBOMBER" capability without doing "
SHIT" to keep those damn SBD's from dropping 1,000lb bombs down your elevators! And to top it off moses keeps pointingout it was the 1,000lber that probably did the majority of damage!

Now back to the totally highjacked nature of this thread where everyone with a "historical" gripe can soundoff to cover something stupid they did in a game situation!
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: testarossa

Well, RAF believed that night bombing is a remarkably precise undertaking. So they tried to hit factories, bridges, ports, etc. After the war reading German accounts they found out that during the war no bomb fell within 5 km of target.

Unfortunatelly for Germans they switched to terror bombing. And here +/- 10 km was still OK.

The RAF switched to night bombing not because they thought it was precise....quite the opposite, they knew it was inherrantly inaccurate, but they felt (like the Luftwaffe) that day bombing simply didn't work against determined air defence networks after trying it early on the war and getting spanked hard. Later in the war, with technological aids, it did become more "precise"

As for it being "Terror bombing" well....depends on who you ask. The German propagandists certainly labeled it as such. The British acknowledged that they were resorting to "Area bombing" but the actual targets were industrial areas contained within cities....yeah...a hair splitting exercise but then again that entire campaign (day and night, US and UK) was a constant exercise in hair splitting. Harris did believe that the bomber could destroy enemy morale and bring about an end to the war.

Sorry...back to the regularily scheduled historical rant on B-17's vs warships [;)] [:'(] [:D]
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Speedysteve »

Just recite Neilands Nik [:D]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Nikademus »

ah blow it out your Oboe

[:'(]

Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Speedysteve »

Gee

[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
Sorry...back to the regularily scheduled historical rant on B-17's vs warships [;)] [:'(] [:D]

"Mutsuki nosed alongside the halted Kinryu Maru to lend a hand, but at 1027 three B-17s droned into view overhead. Conscious of the poor record of high-flying bombers against ships, the destroyer's skipper disdained to get his vessel underway. The reward for this carelessness was a bomb that landed squarely in Mutsuki's engine room, and she sank at 1140 with the loss of forty lives. The rest of the crew, including eleven wounded, were extracted from the water, at which point her sopping captain philosophized that "even the B-17s could make a hit once a while".
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Nikademus »

"even the B-17s could make a hit once a while".

yup...especially when the ship in question isn't moving.

I've always wondered what the official response to that captain's sheepish reply must have been. [:D]
User avatar
Capt. Harlock
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Capt. Harlock »

There is of couse a major difference between a stationary target, and one that is moving. In fact, the DD's were often able to dodge, since the time of fall from 10,000+ feet is significant.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Bradley7735 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

There is of couse a major difference between a stationary target, and one that is moving. In fact, the DD's were often able to dodge, since the time of fall from 10,000+ feet is significant.


So, the original poster or Moses should say if the 1,000 lb bomb from the SBD's was the first hit. That hit could have significantly slowed the carrier so that B-17's could hit her with 2 more bombs.

I bet the SBD hit was first. heavily damaged ships get hit by bad bombers more than non-damaged ships.

bc
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by testarossa »

Well, in the game i never saw a hit from 10,000 ft on moving target. 6,000 ft - once. 1,000 ft - around 30% unopposed, only once against the CAP.
moses
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:39 am

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by moses »

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

There is of couse a major difference between a stationary target, and one that is moving. In fact, the DD's were often able to dodge, since the time of fall from 10,000+ feet is significant.


So, the original poster or Moses should say if the 1,000 lb bomb from the SBD's was the first hit. That hit could have significantly slowed the carrier so that B-17's could hit her with 2 more bombs.

I bet the SBD hit was first. heavily damaged ships get hit by bad bombers more than non-damaged ships.

bc

I don't remember if the 1000 lb was first. We're a week past that point and my planes have been bombing him almost every day. 40 some odd B17's hitting lightly escorted transport fleets with no CAP. The B-17 haven't been all that awesome but have hit a few AP's and a DD and surpisingly 2 patrol craft.

So maybe B-17's are a little stronger against Naval targets than in reality. But in reality my SBD's and P-39's would be having a field day against these convoys. lightly escorted convoys with no air cover which I could see approaching three days out. IRL my DB's and fighter bombers would be flying 6 missions per day.

Plus my subs would be scoring multiple hits and it would be an easy matter to vector in destroyers and patrol craft to attack the convoys at night.

Plus my land based air is far easier to surpress in the game than it was in real life. I can't disperse to multiple airfields in each huge 60 mile hex. The invader knows where to bomb and can destroy my aircraft with non-historical ease. He can bombard my airfields as well when in many instances my airbases would be too far inland for this.

So there is a lot of non-historical stuff going on and who knows if it balances out or too which side it favors.

I'm more or less happy leaving things as they are. Fix bugs. Move on to War in Russia[:D][:D][:D]
John III
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: La Salle, CO

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by John III »

Moses has filled in the scenario well enough for everyone to have a good idea of situation.

For the record:
1. First bomb hits were from B-17s. I agree that the single 1000lb AP was BAD.
2. As to the destroyer discussion above, his HIGHLY TRAINED and soon-to-be carrier capable B-17s also manged to nail a single DD headed for home with 3 bombs...not exactely Mutsuki since she was stationary...

The other comments are on target as well (forgive the pun). I have sent most of these convoys in without heavy CAP. Thank goodness the computer only lets you fly two sorties a day...[8D]
moses
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:39 am

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by moses »

Don't forcet the PG's. Now that was a shot.

Actually I think the PG took the hit to protect the transports............then remembered you only do that for torpedoes.
User avatar
Oznoyng
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:05 pm
Location: Mars

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Oznoyng »

Imo, the evidence cited in this thread supports the following:

1) The Betty was a potent anti-shipping platform, provided it was escorted or did not encounter CAP.
2) B-17's attacked shipping, but rarely hit anything.
3) If a ship is moving slowly or not at all, Level Bombing attacks are more likely to hit.
4) If a ship is large, Level Bombing attacks are more likely to hit.

As far as I am concerned, the mission log of the B-17's quoted is useless. It only implies that the aircraft attacked, not that they had any effect. I believe the aircraft would have been used as long as they chain of command thought they were being effective. Any report that came back saying a ship was hit would be counted as being effective. Every pilot there is exaggerates. IIrc, a B-17 pilot in the PI was credited with sinking a BB and awarded the CMoH, but had in fact scored a near miss on a CA. So yeah, I can see B-17's being used to no effect for a long time. In hindsight, we can often know the effects that the planes had. At the time, commanders can only go by the after action reports. An AAR that says "This B-17 sunk the BB xxx" justifies using the B-17 in that role until other data contradicts it.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
You can rest assured that many of those targets were missed entirely. And many of the targets are now reefs.
No I can't. Just because they attacked, doesn't mean they hit a thing. Show me a loss record that states an IJN ship took a bomb hit the same day that a LB force bombed in the area, and I'll accept that the attack method was more effective. As it stands, the records we have are in the category of lucky hits, or no hits.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
If the heavy bombers were so awful at hitting shipping, why do you suppose they continued the anti-shipping mission with heavy bombers, into the even the Korean War?
Because what they believed and what actually happened could be two different things. If Allied records show bomb hits, but the IJN records show no lost ships... I'm inclined to believe the IJN records. Show me the death certificate and I'll believe they sunk the ship. You see, when it comes to the Betty, we have attacks and hits recorded. In the case of the B-17 attacking from altitude, we don't.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
Frankly, the onus is on the detractor to prove that those bombers never hit anything.
No, it isn't. Not in my mind. Verifiable fact wins the day. From any objective standard, the record of the Betty's actual torpedo-armed performance in WWII supports it's in game capabilities. The "gold standard" of data used to project abilities in the game should be "Allied reports say they launched an attack on x with y forces, and reported z losses by the Japanese while sustaining q losses" corroborated by "Japanese forces defended x with a forces and lost b while inflicting c losses upon the Allies". When you compare the reports, I'm inclined to believe the q and b numbers, and not the z and c.

Show me a record if IJN losses in the areas hit by B-17's on the dates mentioned, and we can extrapolate from there to it's actual performance. Right now, I can't credit any hits to B-17's because the cases where it that information is available come down to one: the DD Mutsuki, which was stationary.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
It disgusts me, and belittles the contribution of the heavy bomber crews, that you would suggest that their contribution to the Pacific Campaign was "nil".
This is not about belittling anyone. It is not an attack on the flyers, nor is it an attack on their chain of command. Saying "naval attacks with B-17's did not have an effect" belittles nothing they did. Had I been in one of those planes, and the effect of the mission I was flying was "nil", the only possible solace I could get from it would be if errors were not repeated. You do not serve them, or their memory, by rejecting out of hand the possibility that the B-17 was not effective in that role. Evaluating the success of the hardware and the tactics in no way belittles the courage or sacrifce of the men who employed them. That kind of thinking is precisely what could have kept commanders using the same tactics despite questionable results.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
User avatar
Tanaka
Posts: 5381
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:42 am
Location: USA
Contact:

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Oznoyng

Imo, the evidence cited in this thread supports the following:

1) The Betty was a potent anti-shipping platform, provided it was escorted or did not encounter CAP.
2) B-17's attacked shipping, but rarely hit anything.
3) If a ship is moving slowly or not at all, Level Bombing attacks are more likely to hit.
4) If a ship is large, Level Bombing attacks are more likely to hit.

As far as I am concerned, the mission log of the B-17's quoted is useless. It only implies that the aircraft attacked, not that they had any effect. I believe the aircraft would have been used as long as they chain of command thought they were being effective. Any report that came back saying a ship was hit would be counted as being effective. Every pilot there is exaggerates. IIrc, a B-17 pilot in the PI was credited with sinking a BB and awarded the CMoH, but had in fact scored a near miss on a CA. So yeah, I can see B-17's being used to no effect for a long time. In hindsight, we can often know the effects that the planes had. At the time, commanders can only go by the after action reports. An AAR that says "This B-17 sunk the BB xxx" justifies using the B-17 in that role until other data contradicts it.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
You can rest assured that many of those targets were missed entirely. And many of the targets are now reefs.
No I can't. Just because they attacked, doesn't mean they hit a thing. Show me a loss record that states an IJN ship took a bomb hit the same day that a LB force bombed in the area, and I'll accept that the attack method was more effective. As it stands, the records we have are in the category of lucky hits, or no hits.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
If the heavy bombers were so awful at hitting shipping, why do you suppose they continued the anti-shipping mission with heavy bombers, into the even the Korean War?
Because what they believed and what actually happened could be two different things. If Allied records show bomb hits, but the IJN records show no lost ships... I'm inclined to believe the IJN records. Show me the death certificate and I'll believe they sunk the ship. You see, when it comes to the Betty, we have attacks and hits recorded. In the case of the B-17 attacking from altitude, we don't.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
Frankly, the onus is on the detractor to prove that those bombers never hit anything.
No, it isn't. Not in my mind. Verifiable fact wins the day. From any objective standard, the record of the Betty's actual torpedo-armed performance in WWII supports it's in game capabilities. The "gold standard" of data used to project abilities in the game should be "Allied reports say they launched an attack on x with y forces, and reported z losses by the Japanese while sustaining q losses" corroborated by "Japanese forces defended x with a forces and lost b while inflicting c losses upon the Allies". When you compare the reports, I'm inclined to believe the q and b numbers, and not the z and c.

Show me a record if IJN losses in the areas hit by B-17's on the dates mentioned, and we can extrapolate from there to it's actual performance. Right now, I can't credit any hits to B-17's because the cases where it that information is available come down to one: the DD Mutsuki, which was stationary.
ORIGINAL: Feinder
It disgusts me, and belittles the contribution of the heavy bomber crews, that you would suggest that their contribution to the Pacific Campaign was "nil".
This is not about belittling anyone. It is not an attack on the flyers, nor is it an attack on their chain of command. Saying "naval attacks with B-17's did not have an effect" belittles nothing they did. Had I been in one of those planes, and the effect of the mission I was flying was "nil", the only possible solace I could get from it would be if errors were not repeated. You do not serve them, or their memory, by rejecting out of hand the possibility that the B-17 was not effective in that role. Evaluating the success of the hardware and the tactics in no way belittles the courage or sacrifce of the men who employed them. That kind of thinking is precisely what could have kept commanders using the same tactics despite questionable results.

Thank you! Everything I wanted to say but didnt feel like ruffling anymore feathers...

I was just answering a question. To say there was anything other than quoting some war facts is ridiculous...
Image

Check out my mod for Strategic Command American Civil War!

https://forums.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=413785
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Bradley7735 »

I don't have specific sources to quote, but check out the battle of Leyte Gulf. Nimishura's force (Fuso, Yamashiro, etc) had some damage from B-24's prior to Oldendorf wiping him out later that night. (The Japanese said the damage was all superficial, but they did receive hits)

Also, Shima lost the Abukuma (CL) to B-24's a couple of days after the main Leyte Gulf battles. However, Abukuma had been damaged via PT torpedo the same night that Nimishura bought it.

Halsey's carriers hit only the Yamato force, not Nimisura's. His was too far south to be hit by anything other than long range bombers.

Of course, this doesn't mean that B-17's are as accurate as Betties, but they did hit ships sometimes.

I apologize if I remember this wrong, but the above is how I remember reading it in several books.

(cool. My 1,000th post. Now I'm some kind of veteran.)
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by Bradley7735 »

Doh. do I need 1,001 posts to make veteran?

edit: Yes. And it's legion of Merit, not veteran.

sweet!!!!!!
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: B-17s and Warships

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Oznoyng

The "gold standard" of data used to project abilities in the game should be "Allied reports say they launched an attack on x with y forces, and reported z losses by the Japanese while sustaining q losses" corroborated by "Japanese forces defended x with a forces and lost b while inflicting c losses upon the Allies". When you compare the reports, I'm inclined to believe the q and b numbers, and not the z and c.

Very well put!

Would also need to factor in tactics (altitude, weapons, etc.), weather, and so on.
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”