Combat System -- John Lynn's Model

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Sertorius, Tim Coakley

Post Reply
Waldo_slith
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:51 am

Combat System -- John Lynn's Model

Post by Waldo_slith »

John Lynn's Bayonets of the Republic is an excellent tactical study of French Revolutionary armies. He develpos an elegant model for a unit's effectiveness.

I cannot locate my copy of the book so I cannot describe his model in detail but I recommend his model to the game designers.

Best of luck with the game.

wp
kc_chiefs
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:04 am
Contact:

RE: Combat System -- John Lynn's Model

Post by kc_chiefs »

Thanks. I found the book on Amazon. Its a bit pricey (arent most books on Napoleonics lately) but I will probably pick it up for use in my next set of game projects.
Bill Peters
User avatar
Le Tondu
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

RE: Combat System -- John Lynn's Model

Post by Le Tondu »

waldo,
It is indeed a great read. I too kept wondering about using the author's model even though the book only covered the Armee du Nord during years of 1791-94. One has to keep in mind that the author stated that the other Revolutionary Armys did things differently as well. A study covering all of the Revolutionary armies would certainly need several volumes at least. It took Lynn 20 years to finish his.

I kept fantasizing about about a Napoleonic version too.

Now, his model is quite large and it has items that might be kind of hard to simulate in a game. It seems to me that it would take many decades to nail down such things as : Basic Class and Societal Attitudes, Wartime Opinions/Appreciation, and Reactions to Conditiions of Service without being speculative during all the years of the Napoleonic Era. Some parts are quite fluid and can change quite quickly. Toss in Group Dynamics, the 3 types of Motivation (Initial, Sustaining, & Combat), Disciplinary Coercion, Standards, & Justification along with all the other parts of his model and someone might have more than a life's work on his hands if he wanted to cover the entire Era.

We need a small group of scholars to tackle it for sure. [8D]

Rick
Vive l'Empereur!
JRichert
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 6:09 am
Location: Memphis, TN

RE: Combat System -- John Lynn's Model

Post by JRichert »

Holy cow! I didn't realize he had any more books out. I had the privelige to take two courses from Prof. Lynn while I was at U of I, they were easily the two best courses I took while I was there.
Post Reply

Return to “Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great”