Wobbly vs herb, ens hanamato
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Another friend
8/7/42
There is no time to mourn another friend
Again we help out over Port Moresby - the suicidal C-47s are again culled
The landings are again a Bloody affair - the fighting is fierce in the city itself
Again the low rumble of heavy guns comes over the horizon -today is still -and stinking hot
We sweat, and sweat
In the evening we cheer BB Hiei - she passes us headed south - her bows deep in the water -crawling home to rabual.
We are filled with anxiety - can the Australians be beaten?
There is no time to mourn another friend
Again we help out over Port Moresby - the suicidal C-47s are again culled
The landings are again a Bloody affair - the fighting is fierce in the city itself
Again the low rumble of heavy guns comes over the horizon -today is still -and stinking hot
We sweat, and sweat
In the evening we cheer BB Hiei - she passes us headed south - her bows deep in the water -crawling home to rabual.
We are filled with anxiety - can the Australians be beaten?
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Another friend
A sense of unreality today
Submarines seemingly continue to commit suicide as well against us, we sink 2 today.
A Msw is hit by a dud torpedoe -and our Vals bomb another
Tonight we face the timor straight, yamaguchi is headed norwest, and the work flows down - staff work , staff work, staff work
LT sato explains finally why I do not fly - staff work.
Some consalation -but little satisfaction -I am a warrior!
I have to produce a plan - in 2 days Yamaguchi wants to unload a lot of bombers -then bring onboard more fighters -and draw the darwin airforce into a fatal CAP trap
At least he has confidence in our zeros
So, can we do it?
Im busy finding out.
Submarines seemingly continue to commit suicide as well against us, we sink 2 today.
A Msw is hit by a dud torpedoe -and our Vals bomb another
Tonight we face the timor straight, yamaguchi is headed norwest, and the work flows down - staff work , staff work, staff work
LT sato explains finally why I do not fly - staff work.
Some consalation -but little satisfaction -I am a warrior!
I have to produce a plan - in 2 days Yamaguchi wants to unload a lot of bombers -then bring onboard more fighters -and draw the darwin airforce into a fatal CAP trap
At least he has confidence in our zeros
So, can we do it?
Im busy finding out.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Another friend
10/7/42
It began just after dawn
Timor straight is cleared during the night - a sleepless night, yet another submarine sunk by our escorts
Then, as our hopes seemed to ebb away - Port Moresby is ours
The ship reverberates to the cheers of the men
Oh, well done men of nippon - fighting spirit overcomes all difficulties!
BANZIA!!!
Tokyo rose reports an advance in central china, Port moresby falls, and my staff paper is accepted.
operation CAP trap is approved.
We head north east - Darwin is going to be devastated. - our other CVs will join us.
yamaguchi believes in big hammers.
Enemy CAs -his CV's? -reported near noumea.
Our air at rabual will have to shield the extraction from PM.
The enemy is retreating to dobadura - no supplies -a fine training target for out airmen!
It began just after dawn
Timor straight is cleared during the night - a sleepless night, yet another submarine sunk by our escorts
Then, as our hopes seemed to ebb away - Port Moresby is ours
The ship reverberates to the cheers of the men
Oh, well done men of nippon - fighting spirit overcomes all difficulties!
BANZIA!!!
Tokyo rose reports an advance in central china, Port moresby falls, and my staff paper is accepted.
operation CAP trap is approved.
We head north east - Darwin is going to be devastated. - our other CVs will join us.
yamaguchi believes in big hammers.
Enemy CAs -his CV's? -reported near noumea.
Our air at rabual will have to shield the extraction from PM.
The enemy is retreating to dobadura - no supplies -a fine training target for out airmen!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
what next
Apparent confusion today
My staff plan is cancelled, yamaguchi wants to retain "his boys"
The british navy is crowing - rangoon was attacked by its entire Navy, several transports lost apparently - but the base was barely damaged
On our front wuchow is burning again.
We sunk another sub near us today, how quickly the sea claims its victims.
I wonder what we will do next - our prescence is well known, B 17s over us again today.
Our other CVs are to our north - attacking a ASW sq, only a DD hit
problem is the enemy now knows exactly where we are - if I was the kiwi commander, as aggressive as he is, I would hit the gilberts or the like.
My staff plan is cancelled, yamaguchi wants to retain "his boys"
The british navy is crowing - rangoon was attacked by its entire Navy, several transports lost apparently - but the base was barely damaged
On our front wuchow is burning again.
We sunk another sub near us today, how quickly the sea claims its victims.
I wonder what we will do next - our prescence is well known, B 17s over us again today.
Our other CVs are to our north - attacking a ASW sq, only a DD hit
problem is the enemy now knows exactly where we are - if I was the kiwi commander, as aggressive as he is, I would hit the gilberts or the like.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: what next
12/7/42
still have not flown
yamaguchi has a plan - we sail at full speed for kendari - fuel, and swing back to Truk - the entire fleet.
Its concentration time.
The allies will come.
we will meet him at full strength.
For me -not too soon.
still have not flown
yamaguchi has a plan - we sail at full speed for kendari - fuel, and swing back to Truk - the entire fleet.
Its concentration time.
The allies will come.
we will meet him at full strength.
For me -not too soon.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: what next
13/7/42
I feel deeply, deeply ashamed
I was on the little platform on the stbd side of Kaga's island, about to enter and have a peek at the chart table, when the door exploded, and yamaguchi and our captain came violently out onto the platform
I do not think they saw me, or cared if they did
They were yelling -almost screaming at each other
The captain was accusing the admiral of cowardice!
"The entire fleet in your hand -and you will not strike darwin!'
Yamaguchi almost, well i cannot repeat - I beat a very hasty retreat.
later that night, he made a pipe - the plan remains, to fade from the scene, to hook the navy about the north west corner of PNG, and to re enter the coral sea.
The primary enemy is the CVs, and we must surprise them - darwin -and I knew this was for the captain -had only tactical significance -not strategic.
our strength must be preserved for that
Yet i feel shame -should we not strike at all times!
And then terrible news
4th division, at sea, has been attacked by enemy CVs west of PM
The Kiwi -as i predicted -has attacked!
Where is our LBA!?
I feel deeply, deeply ashamed
I was on the little platform on the stbd side of Kaga's island, about to enter and have a peek at the chart table, when the door exploded, and yamaguchi and our captain came violently out onto the platform
I do not think they saw me, or cared if they did
They were yelling -almost screaming at each other
The captain was accusing the admiral of cowardice!
"The entire fleet in your hand -and you will not strike darwin!'
Yamaguchi almost, well i cannot repeat - I beat a very hasty retreat.
later that night, he made a pipe - the plan remains, to fade from the scene, to hook the navy about the north west corner of PNG, and to re enter the coral sea.
The primary enemy is the CVs, and we must surprise them - darwin -and I knew this was for the captain -had only tactical significance -not strategic.
our strength must be preserved for that
Yet i feel shame -should we not strike at all times!
And then terrible news
4th division, at sea, has been attacked by enemy CVs west of PM
The Kiwi -as i predicted -has attacked!
Where is our LBA!?
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
anxiety
a terrible night of anxiety
Only 2 transports were lost yesterday -but 4th division got back to PM safely
The enemy struck with multiple BBs, and cruisers -some of our ships -destroyers -resisted
4 were sunk
BB mississipi was severly damaged during the day
many planes have been rushed there
The reports and rumours flow
We steam north -at speed
Cursed enemy and his aggression
Yet it will work for us -this I am sure.
Only 2 transports were lost yesterday -but 4th division got back to PM safely
The enemy struck with multiple BBs, and cruisers -some of our ships -destroyers -resisted
4 were sunk
BB mississipi was severly damaged during the day
many planes have been rushed there
The reports and rumours flow
We steam north -at speed
Cursed enemy and his aggression
Yet it will work for us -this I am sure.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
4 dds for a bb
15/7/42
we continue to power north, as evening falls over the mirror calm seas, we swing due east -all around us are the shadows of islands, we are swinging around the tip of PNG
Tokyo rose reports that the missippi may have been sunk, we cannot pick up the allied radio today, so a complete silence falls again
ventured deep into the bowels again , visiting my black gang brothers -the still is going full blast tonight.
again I suck at cards
It does not matter -win or lose i feel that soon money will mean little to us
I was on the uppers at dawn today, the only time the air is fresh and cool in these climes -and saw a sight that made my heart swell with pride
there - fading over the horizon -the battleship yammato -symbol of japan.
what a ship!
Although other battle wagons are sailing with us, she is not
I wonder where her big guns will go?
we continue to power north, as evening falls over the mirror calm seas, we swing due east -all around us are the shadows of islands, we are swinging around the tip of PNG
Tokyo rose reports that the missippi may have been sunk, we cannot pick up the allied radio today, so a complete silence falls again
ventured deep into the bowels again , visiting my black gang brothers -the still is going full blast tonight.
again I suck at cards
It does not matter -win or lose i feel that soon money will mean little to us
I was on the uppers at dawn today, the only time the air is fresh and cool in these climes -and saw a sight that made my heart swell with pride
there - fading over the horizon -the battleship yammato -symbol of japan.
what a ship!
Although other battle wagons are sailing with us, she is not
I wonder where her big guns will go?
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Dud subs
16/7/42
A severe shock, but relief -CS Nisshin torpedoed -but they are duds
have we been given away?
The radio is quiet, and the fleet sails through incredibly calm seas.
Hard to believe today that a war is on, the world looks so beautiful.
A severe shock, but relief -CS Nisshin torpedoed -but they are duds
have we been given away?
The radio is quiet, and the fleet sails through incredibly calm seas.
Hard to believe today that a war is on, the world looks so beautiful.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Dud subs
17/7/42
The fleet refuels today, as we slowly make our way back towards Truk -and more leave!
The atmosphere is very relaxed, little chance of air action here, CAP is just 30%, and we pilots are once again bludging, while the sailors work .
Submarines are another matter, again Hiryu Val hits a sub -far away.
late this evening -a brief announcement
"intelligence reports that one of our valiant submarines has torpedoed the CV Yorktown south of port moresby.
We are hunting her"
Smiles all round.
The fleet refuels today, as we slowly make our way back towards Truk -and more leave!
The atmosphere is very relaxed, little chance of air action here, CAP is just 30%, and we pilots are once again bludging, while the sailors work .
Submarines are another matter, again Hiryu Val hits a sub -far away.
late this evening -a brief announcement
"intelligence reports that one of our valiant submarines has torpedoed the CV Yorktown south of port moresby.
We are hunting her"
Smiles all round.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Dud subs
18/7/42
Another sparkling clear day, we are quite close to the coast of Northern PNG, and the sea is a very light colour.
No sightings, or reports today
The fleet has suddenly expanded, the entire carrier arm is here with us, no sign of any battle wagons, but I hear they are ahead of us.
We are definately headed to Truk, to refuel, arm and rest.
then, who knows?
The fates of war will decide.
Another sparkling clear day, we are quite close to the coast of Northern PNG, and the sea is a very light colour.
No sightings, or reports today
The fleet has suddenly expanded, the entire carrier arm is here with us, no sign of any battle wagons, but I hear they are ahead of us.
We are definately headed to Truk, to refuel, arm and rest.
then, who knows?
The fates of war will decide.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Dud subs
19/7/42
The radio begins to be able to pick up the BBC again
We are eager for real news
Tokyo rose is claiming Yorktown sunk -I doubt it -Im sure she will be back to haunt us
The news of the week is not dramatic, some heavy enemy air raids in burma.
China air campaign has gone quiet, our airforce seems to have withdrawn from the fight.
A heavy B17 raid on PM apparently caused a lot of damage to ships trying to leave there with troops
A enemy offensive appears to be underway against kaifeng in China
The rumours trickle down, LT sato -who has yamaguchis ear -tells us that the evacuation from Port Moresby is proving to be very difficult, but is happening, the ships leaving via the timor straight.
The enemy has retired, but probably only very temporarily
A plan is forming for bringing his CVs to battle -it appears that the south west pacific is going to be a major area -some island called nidindi is being developed.
I have been assigned to a small planning group -"imagine you have the entire fleet at your disposal ensign !, now, what would you do with this problem?"
I grit my teeth
LT sato and his "Plans"
Im a fighter pilot for heavens sake!!!
The radio begins to be able to pick up the BBC again
We are eager for real news
Tokyo rose is claiming Yorktown sunk -I doubt it -Im sure she will be back to haunt us
The news of the week is not dramatic, some heavy enemy air raids in burma.
China air campaign has gone quiet, our airforce seems to have withdrawn from the fight.
A heavy B17 raid on PM apparently caused a lot of damage to ships trying to leave there with troops
A enemy offensive appears to be underway against kaifeng in China
The rumours trickle down, LT sato -who has yamaguchis ear -tells us that the evacuation from Port Moresby is proving to be very difficult, but is happening, the ships leaving via the timor straight.
The enemy has retired, but probably only very temporarily
A plan is forming for bringing his CVs to battle -it appears that the south west pacific is going to be a major area -some island called nidindi is being developed.
I have been assigned to a small planning group -"imagine you have the entire fleet at your disposal ensign !, now, what would you do with this problem?"
I grit my teeth
LT sato and his "Plans"
Im a fighter pilot for heavens sake!!!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Huge fleet
20/7/42
We continue to sail in pretty much a news vacuum.
The news reports a large chinese offensive in northern china -oh how far away that is.
We continue bombing the allied troops trapped outside of PM, and thats about the news
Again i hear of plans to attack some place called nidindi -the allies are building an airfield there -and seem very exposed
We are going to use this as an aid to luring the enmey into decisive battle
Today I have not been welll, and was ordered to spend it on the upper decks, so with several other pilots -Kasai ,Masuyama,and Sagara (the last of our little band) we spent the day on the quarterdeck, under the flight deck overhang
All around us is the might of our fleet, covering the ocean -8 large carriers, and numbers of lighter ones.
We are definately headed to rabual, and I promise myself I will not get so drunk this time -well maybe.
japan seems so far away.
We continue to sail in pretty much a news vacuum.
The news reports a large chinese offensive in northern china -oh how far away that is.
We continue bombing the allied troops trapped outside of PM, and thats about the news
Again i hear of plans to attack some place called nidindi -the allies are building an airfield there -and seem very exposed
We are going to use this as an aid to luring the enmey into decisive battle
Today I have not been welll, and was ordered to spend it on the upper decks, so with several other pilots -Kasai ,Masuyama,and Sagara (the last of our little band) we spent the day on the quarterdeck, under the flight deck overhang
All around us is the might of our fleet, covering the ocean -8 large carriers, and numbers of lighter ones.
We are definately headed to rabual, and I promise myself I will not get so drunk this time -well maybe.
japan seems so far away.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Huge fleet
21/7/42
The yorktown has been located
Intelligence places her at noumea -maybe we can intercept her as she heads home to pearl
Disturbing news, the BBC reports amajor chinese offensive in China has penetrated to kaifeng
hard to believe japanese troops retreating!
today we are off Wewak, and are refuelling again, tomorrow the tankers will depart to Truk, we continue to rabual
the next target is definately nidindi -a enemy base is being built there
frankly this war is not going how I concieved it would -nearly a month with out flying.
terrible
the still took a hammering last night -this was compensation enough!
The yorktown has been located
Intelligence places her at noumea -maybe we can intercept her as she heads home to pearl
Disturbing news, the BBC reports amajor chinese offensive in China has penetrated to kaifeng
hard to believe japanese troops retreating!
today we are off Wewak, and are refuelling again, tomorrow the tankers will depart to Truk, we continue to rabual
the next target is definately nidindi -a enemy base is being built there
frankly this war is not going how I concieved it would -nearly a month with out flying.
terrible
the still took a hammering last night -this was compensation enough!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Huge fleet
22/7/42
I spend the day hiding basically from Lt sato, I have a terrible head ache
news from China is dispiriting -why is it we tend to believe everything we get from the BBC radio, and not from Tokyo?
Something is wrong here
For instance -today Tokyo rose reports very large bombing raids on Port Moresby -and impressive losses inflicted -but can we believe them
I personally think the B17 better than that -and I have no faith in a zero withstanding a hit or two
I personally take each report from Rose -divide it by 4, and take that.
So 7,8 B17s shot down today -maybe?
We are nearing rabual -fleet moves to high speed.
Beer tomorrow -and mail!!!
Please -mail!
I spend the day hiding basically from Lt sato, I have a terrible head ache
news from China is dispiriting -why is it we tend to believe everything we get from the BBC radio, and not from Tokyo?
Something is wrong here
For instance -today Tokyo rose reports very large bombing raids on Port Moresby -and impressive losses inflicted -but can we believe them
I personally think the B17 better than that -and I have no faith in a zero withstanding a hit or two
I personally take each report from Rose -divide it by 4, and take that.
So 7,8 B17s shot down today -maybe?
We are nearing rabual -fleet moves to high speed.
Beer tomorrow -and mail!!!
Please -mail!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Huge fleet
23/7/42
Dissapointment, rabual tomorrow.
Again the heavy work and frantic preparation for arrival - no a/c requirements this time.
I have been given a task -I must find a local map for Nidindi
Our 2 french interpreters say goodbye tomorrow -This is a sure sign that the original plan for conquests south is abandoned, i am sorry to here this..
We are all very excited, a port visit, any port always offers some chance to escape this ship, and taste freedom for a while.
Dissapointment, rabual tomorrow.
Again the heavy work and frantic preparation for arrival - no a/c requirements this time.
I have been given a task -I must find a local map for Nidindi
Our 2 french interpreters say goodbye tomorrow -This is a sure sign that the original plan for conquests south is abandoned, i am sorry to here this..
We are all very excited, a port visit, any port always offers some chance to escape this ship, and taste freedom for a while.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Leave!!! mail!!!! Work!!!!
rabual
Still hot, stinking hot and sultry
Another frantic day of re fuelling and work, and officers
I went ashore very early
Down the gangway, salute!, and into one of the streams of ships boats circling Kagas mmassive frame
A pleasant trip across the bay, to the jumble of the wharf.
A long wharf -past the guns and mountains of stores piled everywhere
I notice that all the damage still about last visit is gone now, rabual has not yet been attacked, yet it is pleasing to see the AA guns ready
A old American Ford is provided -strange -this is the 1st motor car I have ever ridden in
My destination is airfield No1
here several daitis are conducting daily raids on the enemy trapped in the jungles outside of PM
We are warmly welcomed, and the purpose of my mission -to obtain maps, is very quickly achieved.
The day is spent in the mess -discussing flying of course
the news is good, and spirits are very high
Every day over 120 fighters, oscars and zeros are operating from here and Lea , gaining immense training value.
Little of the enemy has been seen
we do discuss the B17 -i was right -7 shot down last week.
It is tough, but can be overwhelmed.
We turn our thoughts to the coming battles -where will the enmy retaliate next?
No one knows
In the meantime, several daitis will be bought up to skill, a ruthless exercise, yet totally necessary.
I watch 50 zeros depart, envious -I really need to fly!
I return to the ship confident in our forces and the zero again.
The ship is already squared away -news is down, 2 days leave!
then we join the battle fleet -already plodding south , for another hit at the enemy.
mail.
father reminds me of the shame of being taken prisoner
Mother entreats me to fight well
Sister has a boyfriend.
All is well at home, kagoshima at least is short of little.
I dress into shore rig.
I have been paid, and we have heard of"the spot" to go
Still hot, stinking hot and sultry
Another frantic day of re fuelling and work, and officers
I went ashore very early
Down the gangway, salute!, and into one of the streams of ships boats circling Kagas mmassive frame
A pleasant trip across the bay, to the jumble of the wharf.
A long wharf -past the guns and mountains of stores piled everywhere
I notice that all the damage still about last visit is gone now, rabual has not yet been attacked, yet it is pleasing to see the AA guns ready
A old American Ford is provided -strange -this is the 1st motor car I have ever ridden in
My destination is airfield No1
here several daitis are conducting daily raids on the enemy trapped in the jungles outside of PM
We are warmly welcomed, and the purpose of my mission -to obtain maps, is very quickly achieved.
The day is spent in the mess -discussing flying of course
the news is good, and spirits are very high
Every day over 120 fighters, oscars and zeros are operating from here and Lea , gaining immense training value.
Little of the enemy has been seen
we do discuss the B17 -i was right -7 shot down last week.
It is tough, but can be overwhelmed.
We turn our thoughts to the coming battles -where will the enmy retaliate next?
No one knows
In the meantime, several daitis will be bought up to skill, a ruthless exercise, yet totally necessary.
I watch 50 zeros depart, envious -I really need to fly!
I return to the ship confident in our forces and the zero again.
The ship is already squared away -news is down, 2 days leave!
then we join the battle fleet -already plodding south , for another hit at the enemy.
mail.
father reminds me of the shame of being taken prisoner
Mother entreats me to fight well
Sister has a boyfriend.
All is well at home, kagoshima at least is short of little.
I dress into shore rig.
I have been paid, and we have heard of"the spot" to go
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Leave!!! mail!!!! Work!!!!
25/7/42
rabual harbour
I regret to report PO2 Sagara.c, cannot hold his alcohol
Nor can he punch straight in a fight!
he has the best black eye I have ever seen!
A wild night.
I am, of course, pretty @#$#@!
To bed
Let the war wait!
rabual harbour
I regret to report PO2 Sagara.c, cannot hold his alcohol
Nor can he punch straight in a fight!
he has the best black eye I have ever seen!
A wild night.
I am, of course, pretty @#$#@!
To bed
Let the war wait!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Apologies
herb note -sorry if this is a bit light on for action, but im trying to see this war from just one mans view -actually thought he'd be killed by now.
really has shown how the AI uses pilots though -he stays on the deck, definately always only flying strikes, while several other pilots always fly CAP.
this guys moral never drops -maybe its the still !
26/7/42
A work day today, we conference on our attack plans for Nidindi
BBs are going to strike, covered by Hiyo and Junyo -we will wait just north, and see what happens.
We are told that we have at least 3 days more here, the troops are only very slowly coming south
Heavy recon is being organised, and 10 submarines will sail tomorrow, to join 3 already in the area.
failing any enemy response, yamaguchi has sworn to deal with the enemy B17s at Cooktown ..
Tonight I am having crayfish ashore -and not nearly as much alcohol
really has shown how the AI uses pilots though -he stays on the deck, definately always only flying strikes, while several other pilots always fly CAP.
this guys moral never drops -maybe its the still !
26/7/42
A work day today, we conference on our attack plans for Nidindi
BBs are going to strike, covered by Hiyo and Junyo -we will wait just north, and see what happens.
We are told that we have at least 3 days more here, the troops are only very slowly coming south
Heavy recon is being organised, and 10 submarines will sail tomorrow, to join 3 already in the area.
failing any enemy response, yamaguchi has sworn to deal with the enemy B17s at Cooktown ..
Tonight I am having crayfish ashore -and not nearly as much alcohol
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
RE: Apologies
27/7/42
Ate at the rabual airfield mess today, the pilots there are a tough bunch
the conditions are totally primative -wooden huts -dust, mud , dust, dust -all depending on the time of day
The heat is terrible -oppressive, crushing.
Many complaints -all about support.
It appears that this month the most dangerous thing has just been the flying, they too have found out how dangerous the thunderclouds are every afternoon,
Also, disturbingly several pilots have been lost due to mechanical failures.
The ground crews work around the clock -the day is so long.
The enemy B17s flattened our field at Gilli, gilli yesterday, our pilots have abandoned it, moving back to the Admiralties .
Still, there remains much confidence -flights of 150 plus sure inspire this.
But as we bumped our way through the pathetic dwellings rabual calls a city,back to the ship, i could not help being glad that i live on the Kaga, a shore posting would be terrible compared to her.
Back onboard -more reports of enemy shipping Espirito
So, we wll have targets!
Ate at the rabual airfield mess today, the pilots there are a tough bunch
the conditions are totally primative -wooden huts -dust, mud , dust, dust -all depending on the time of day
The heat is terrible -oppressive, crushing.
Many complaints -all about support.
It appears that this month the most dangerous thing has just been the flying, they too have found out how dangerous the thunderclouds are every afternoon,
Also, disturbingly several pilots have been lost due to mechanical failures.
The ground crews work around the clock -the day is so long.
The enemy B17s flattened our field at Gilli, gilli yesterday, our pilots have abandoned it, moving back to the Admiralties .
Still, there remains much confidence -flights of 150 plus sure inspire this.
But as we bumped our way through the pathetic dwellings rabual calls a city,back to the ship, i could not help being glad that i live on the Kaga, a shore posting would be terrible compared to her.
Back onboard -more reports of enemy shipping Espirito
So, we wll have targets!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt