How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.
Post Reply
User avatar
Hartley
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:21 pm

How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Hartley »

For those who have 17-19 inch monitors.
User avatar
wild_Willie2
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I gues it looks good, but I haven't tried the game on anything else than a 19'' TFT yet... [;)]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
User avatar
Belphegor
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 2:03 am

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Belphegor »

It looks fine.
User avatar
Reg
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri May 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NSW, Australia

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Reg »

With my 19" LCD, I find the text gets a but furry when the 1024x768 game screens resize to 1240x1024 so I usually run the game in a 1024x768 window on the desk top or tell the monitor not to resize (leaves a black border around the edge).

Still everything is quite legible and it is a matter of taste whether you bother with this or not.
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
stretch
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:00 am

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by stretch »

Im playing on a 20" 1600x 1200 LCD. It isn't totally crisp to look at when playing but it doesn't bother me. and everything bothers me in life so it must really be ok. It is a shame it wasnt windowed properly but it gets by ok. Civ3 at 1600x1200 is darn fun and cool and crisp. Not that I have time to play anymore with WitP on my hard drive.
User avatar
Stwa
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:05 am

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Stwa »

Hi stretch,

I was thinking about getting a 1600 x 1200 TFT, which is a 4:3 aspect ratio for native display mode. I am surprised to hear that the game is not crisp at this resolution. (I supposed when streched [:D] - no pun intended. Is this more the monitor here or the resizing of the text fonts, please elaborate if you can.

Thanks,

Stwa
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by 2Stepper »

Well I'm running it on a 19" SONY flat panel (SDM-HS95P for any curious about model) and its as crisp as can be. I also run it full color (32bit) with the altFont, and have no issues at all.

The only peculiarity I've noted and I dismissed it as being monitor driven is big sea battles bog down after a while. Methinks that's still a program leak of some sort and totally unrelated to the monitor.

Best 500 bucks I've spent in a while. [8D]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
stretch
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:00 am

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by stretch »

Its just thje typical look any LCD gets when it runs at a different resolution than it is designed for. Fuzzy is a strong word, its not blurry. When Im playing I don't even think about it. I don't notice any stretching at all due to the 4:3. I'm sure its there a little but its not enough for me to see.
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Hartley

For those who have 17-19 inch monitors.

EIZO L767 and Samsung ... something (Japanese and Korean companies are true to cryptic model names today as they were in time of WW2 [;)])

Both are 19" and 1280 x 1024 native resolution. WITP looks great on both. I am wary of saying it looks great though, because I'd hate to encourage companies of doing fixed-resolution games like WITP. Games should adapt to the desktop resolution Windows are using at the moment, period.

But the truth is game looks great. Since I knew I'd be using monitors to play the game a LOT I took care to check them in "combat conditions" before making the buy, and it reassured me the decision to switch to LCD was right (I used CRTs before).

O.
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Gem35 »

I use a 19" Hyundai L90D+DVI with a geforce 6600gt video card, at 1280x1024 and WitP looks amazing. Don't forget to set your screen to clear type though, makes a difference.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by ilovestrategy »

I just bought a cheap 17' LCD for $200 and it looks ok to me.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
general billy
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:40 am
Location: London UK

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by general billy »

19.5 in,
Didnt like it first, but then it started to look great, think I kind'of gotten used to it. But WITP dont run in 1280 x1024 mode, wish it did.
Image
WITP Games
Scen 16 as Allied = Lost
Scen 13 as Jap = Won
Scen 15 as Allied = Won
Scen 16 as Jap = NA
WPO Games
Scen 6 as Allied = Won
Scen 6 as Japs = NA
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by rogueusmc »

I have a 21" CRT I run in 1024x768. It makes things big enough to see from about 4' away and still have planty of visual area. I sit back with my wireless thumb ball mouse and relax while I play.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
Peter Fisla
Posts: 2599
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Canada

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Post by Peter Fisla »

I have Samsung 915N (8ms refresh) 19" and I play WitP in window mode as I don't like the fuziness when I play in full screen mode, 1024x768 WitP screen doesn't strech well to 1280 x1024 from my perspective. Would be nice for the future to support multiple resolutions. I guess once we users will support WitP source code this would be one of my first things I would like to work on.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”