Name This Unlimited...(62)

Get ready to be trained, tested and put through the fire by your fellow gamers. If your are brave and looking for a challenge then this is the place for you.
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Brady »

???






Image








Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

Germans attack Santa Klauses workshop as Rudolph watches the carnage in total shock[:D][8|]
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: RBWhite

Germans attack Santa Klauses workshop as Rudolph watches the carnage in total shock[:D][8|]
ROFL!!! That is too funny LOL!
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

Reindeer?

Norway, Russia, Artic Circle?


User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

All I could think of at the moment[8|]

I was tought always go with your first thought or impression[:'(]
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by stevemk1a »

It's a Reindeer, so I'm thinking Finland ... one of the planes looks kinda like a Hurricane (perhaps in Finnish service??) the other planes are harder to make out [&:]
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

I was just thinking Russia & Finland disagreement
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by stevemk1a »

I just checked and Finland was sold 12 Hawker Hurricanes in 1940. Russians later also got leand-lease Hurricanes, so I guess it could be either side in the Continuation War, or Finnish Hurri's in the Winter War ...
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

I would say that they are all Hurricanes, Mk Is & were in use by the Fins

Looking real hard, the tail marking suggest Finland
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

MK I Hurricanes
1 Reindeer
1 Volcano
1 Dead Tree
The Continuation War\Winter War.
User avatar
Brigz
Posts: 842
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:00 am

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Brigz »

What a strange picture. You would think with someone in front taking it's picture and an explosion behind and Hurricanes flying low overhead that reindeer would be long gone before a picture could be snapped. Either that is a stuffed reindeer, someone's pet, or one real bad case of "frozen in the headlights". I'd like to know the source of that picture from Brady if it's available. One of the strangest WWII pictures I've ever seen.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by RBWhite »

Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom[8|]
Procrustes
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Upstate

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Procrustes »


What a weird picture! My first reaction is that it must have been altered - two pictures put together as one. Really looking forward to hearing more about this....
Martti
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:20 pm

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Martti »

One squadron of british Hurricanes I's fought in Norway in 1940. This picture might have been taken then. The white vertical line visible on the tail of the plane might be from british nationality markings.

The Hurricanes sold to Finland arrived too late to take part in the Winter War. Also, the finnish planes had nationality markings only in wings and fuselage, not in the tail.
User avatar
DandricSturm
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:07 pm
Contact:

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by DandricSturm »

Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom

Wild Kingdom
Image

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Brady »



Hurricanes, it is[:)]


Reindeer, it is[:)]


...............................


Image source indicates that these are Russian Hurricanes, and pisture was taken in Russia, thought it could well be along the Finish front. The MK of Huricane is prety hard to tell thought the conspicious lack of Hispano cannons protruding from the wings means they are either MK I or MK IIA or B's.

I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.


Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
JTGEN
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Finland

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by JTGEN »

I'd say Soviet Hurricanes too. Finnish ones not used that high up in the north. Also the formation is a bit 'unfinnish'. That high up in the north they would be flying against the Germans in continuation war.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Plus, they're flying in V's, which the Red Air Force was among the last to use.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Procrustes
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Upstate

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Procrustes »

I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.

I think so, too - at least two - probably three pictures put together. If the picture was real I don't think you would have the clarity you see throughout the depth of field - either the things in front or in back would be blurry.

Way cool, though. Thanks!
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Procrustes
I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.

I think so, too - at least two - probably three pictures put together. If the picture was real I don't think you would have the clarity you see throughout the depth of field - either the things in front or in back would be blurry.

Way cool, though. Thanks!

Even on aesthetic grounds I think it is impossible. Look how the antlers perfectly fill the void let by the two groups of Hurricanes. Not to mention the risk to the reindeer and photographer from shrapnel.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Quizzes, Trivial and other Interesting Information”