What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Veldor
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:32 am
Location: King's Landing

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Veldor »

The Waitomo Airtruk, featured in the film "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome". But it is a real aircraft designed by the Italians and built by the Australians sometime around the mid 60's....

Image

Image
Attachments
airtruknu1.jpg
airtruknu1.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 449 times
airtruk.jpg
airtruk.jpg (9.85 KiB) Viewed 449 times
User avatar
DandricSturm
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:07 pm
Contact:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DandricSturm »

How about the Pitcairn autogyro?
Image
Image

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/
User avatar
ShermanM4
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:51 pm

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by ShermanM4 »

????????????????




Attachment (1)

Just looking up some of these is hillarious.
Image
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

User avatar
Greyshaft
Posts: 1979
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:59 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: Veldor

The Waitomo Airtruk, featured in the film "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome". But it is a real aircraft designed by the Italians and built by the Australians sometime around the mid 60's....

Image

Image
Saw one of last month when my darling wife took me to Bansktown Airport Air Museum as a birthday present. It's uh... quite functional and someone shore done hit it with the ugly stick
/Greyshaft
User avatar
RevRick
Posts: 2615
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Thomasville, GA

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

ok... its a pitot tube... but it had me going for a while before I figured it [:)]

The first thing I thought of was "The flying fickle finger of fate!"[:D]
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
User avatar
Hard Sarge
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: garfield hts ohio usa
Contact:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I've always been fond of the following

Image
Actually I like the Defiant also... but I can't figure out why the closest one has a bent starboard wing [&:]

ahhhh, just in case, those are not Defiants

I beleive those are Blackburn Sukas

ahhhhh, I been looking for a pic of it and can't find one now (when I got this puter, lost a lot of my old sites)

but one I remember, the idea was to take parts from planes already being built, and make a plane out of them

I will try and hunt it down

Image
User avatar
Hard Sarge
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: garfield hts ohio usa
Contact:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Hard Sarge »

Ah crud
I may be wrong, that may be a Roc, the Suka was the carrier model and those look more RAF

Image
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

The Blackburn Roc (pictured above) and the Blackburn Skua were both Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm aircraft. The Boulton Paul Defiant was a RAF aircraft, and actually quite attractive considering the gun turret.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

These are Skuas:

Image
Attachments
2092.jpg
2092.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 449 times
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

And this is a Defiant:



Image
Attachments
Mk120Defiant.jpg
Mk120Defiant.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 449 times
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Greyshaft
Posts: 1979
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:59 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I've always been fond of the following

Image

Yup. I sit corrected. This is not a Defiant. But while I'm here eating humble pie, is it my imagination or is this plane missing its canopy? There seem to be guide rails behind the cockpit to hold the canopy but the dang canopy just ain't there.
/Greyshaft
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Part of the Roc's (and the Defiant's, for that matter) upper fuselage retracted to allow the gun turret to rotate fully. The three aircraft pictured all have different settings displayed for the camera.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
warhead2
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: alabama

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by warhead2 »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

ORIGINAL: RevRick

I've always been fond of the following

Image
Actually I like the Defiant also... but I can't figure out why the closest one has a bent starboard wing [&:]
it's the negro pilot,a black thang
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff,"
--Mariah Carey
User avatar
invernomuto
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Turin, Italy

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by invernomuto »

Here is my vote...

Image
Attachments
curtiss-wright_xp-55.jpg
curtiss-wright_xp-55.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 451 times
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by stevemk1a »

Actually, that last one's kinda purdy ... [:)]
User avatar
DandricSturm
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:07 pm
Contact:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by DandricSturm »

R-4B


Image
Probably looked pretty good to the 3 British soldiers and the pilot of the L-1 shot down 100 miles behind enemy lines when Lt. Carter Harmon, preparing the way for the Jolly Green Giants, performed the first helicopter rescue mission on Apr 25-26, 1944
Attachments
r4.gif
r4.gif (39.95 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Image

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Blackburn Roc (pictured above) and the Blackburn Skua were both Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm aircraft. The Boulton Paul Defiant was a RAF aircraft, and actually quite attractive considering the gun turret.

Good point, and this guy was a real looker except for his nose


Image

Re. the Defiant, I think it is a mixture of discordant design elements and just plain stupid engineering decisions. It is UGLY!

That French bomber is incomprehensibly ugly. It looks liek a boy scout troop put together some corrugated roofing with leftovers from a backyard greenhouse kit. I doubt the LSD theory. Timothy Leary could ahve done better than that.
Image
User avatar
Puukkoo
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:14 am
Location: Seinäjoki, Finland

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by Puukkoo »

This plane looks actually rather beautiful among those certain ones


Image
Attachments
Svedukone.jpg
Svedukone.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
User avatar
oi_you_nutter
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: from Bristle now living in Kalifornia

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by oi_you_nutter »

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

This plane looks actually rather beautiful among those certain ones


Image

i would have to agree, it has sleek lines
ugh
User avatar
oi_you_nutter
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: from Bristle now living in Kalifornia

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?

Post by oi_you_nutter »

Handley Page Heyford

this is what happens when the production people have the design drawing upside down

Image
ugh
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”