I'm so disappointed!!!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by shall59 »

I put in ten months of play as allies with single day turns; I got 3 to 1 victory points in '44 and all I got was a simple window telling me I won a decisive victory! I wanted video of the surrender ceremony on Big Mo! I wanted video of the Times Square celebration! I wanted fireworks! I wanted something dramatic! It was sooooo anti-climatic!
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by tsimmonds »

Take yourself out to dinner.[;)]
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Feinder »

Kinda reminds how disppointed I was in the ending of

Bards Tale
Ultima 3, 4, 5
Pool of Radiance (SSI)
Dragonlance series (SSI)
Baldur's Gate 1, 2, 3
Neverwinter Nights 1, 2, 3...

Come to think of it. The endings were all disappointing. Basically just, "Congratuations! You won!".

Silly wabbit.

It's the journey, not the destination that counts (at least in video games). You should know that by now.

[;)]

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Big B »

Hmmm, uhh...yah...that sounds a little weak for an ending.

I second what irrelevant said - take yourself out to dinner, and snub the computer...that'll show him who one![:)]

B
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by bradfordkay »

If you still have a significant other, you might want to take her out to dinner... [;)]
fair winds,
Brad
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by shall59 »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

If you still have a significant other, you might want to take her out to dinner... [;)]

Significant other? Would that be that woman in my house that keeps yelling at me to get off the comuter? I wondered who she was!

Actually we are going out to dinner tomorrow night, but for a totally different reason.
User avatar
patrickl
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:57 pm
Location: Singapore

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by patrickl »

Hi,

You are lucky, I have been playing WITP for over a year and yet to see the victory screen.[:@] Blame it on the patches.[:D] I tell you, I will get that screen one day (pss..against the AI..shh)![:D][;)]
Image
Banner designed by rogueusmc
User avatar
Crimguy
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Crimguy »

The ending of Metal Gear Solid rocked. So did Marathon on the Mac. That's about it for me (the Half Life 2 ending was aweful. About the only games I've ever finished :-D
________________________
www.azcrimes.com
<sig removed because I'm a bandwidth hog>
User avatar
MadmanRick
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New York City, U.S.A.

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by MadmanRick »

Significant other? Would that be that woman in my house that keeps yelling at me to get off the comuter? I wondered who she was!

Wait...if you are getting off the "comuter", assuming it's a she...can I have her? [:D]

Rick
Image
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Best ending, bar none, for me was in Shogun: Total War.

Game had lots of cut scenes, very well done. Ninjas, geishas, assassinations, opponents committing sepukku after defeat on the battlefield, swordsmen training etc.

When you finally conquered the last province of medieval Japan, and became Shogun, movie started. It was way different than other movies in game: neon lights, modern techno music, cars, whattt???? Is this some bug? Movie from some other game on my disk?

No. As the camera zooms out you realise it's the scene from modern late 20th century Tokyo, and big sculpture of yourself stands on some big square - many centuries later you're being celebrated as hero of medieval Japan!!!

Magnificent ending to a great game.

O.
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by kaleun »

Yes, I lked that one too
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Oh yeah, the Shogun ending was really excellent. Especially the bit where the narrator speaks about the elimination of the foreign element from Japan, while we see a whole bunch of crucified Jesuits...[:D]

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

Wait...if you are getting off the "comuter", assuming it's a she...can I have her? [:D]

Rick

Shame on you! [:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
AlexCobra
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Russia

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by AlexCobra »

Hi!

"Deus Ex" ending was really good too. There in a final mission you could select from 3 variants of plot ending depending on your actions. I saw two of them, both was superb: X-files-paranoic style movie, leaving the player with many questions and delivering a lot of satisfaction... the truth is out there, man... it always will be. Btw, sequel to the game was awful imho probably because it was very hard to catch the plot after such ending... and they lose the style... me think so[:)].

Alex.
User avatar
patrickl
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:57 pm
Location: Singapore

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by patrickl »

Hi All,

Maybe someone can make one mod to simulate the abovementioned fantantic ending that we can patch it to the game?[:(] Thankx
Image
Banner designed by rogueusmc
User avatar
marky
Posts: 5777
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Wisconsin

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by marky »

Halo had a cool ending

so did ST Elite Force[:D]

i AHVE seen the victory screen tho[:D]
User avatar
MemoryLeak
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Woodland, CA USA

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by MemoryLeak »

This is a little vague but some of you may remember it. Back around 1980 I bought an Intellivsion game console. Very expensive for it's time, almost $300. One of the games was Sea Hunt or Sea Battles, something like that. It has an ending that I still remember, which is more that I can say for any of the other games I've played, which number in the hundreds.
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Bradley7735 »

ORIGINAL: shall59

I put in ten months of play as allies with single day turns; I got 3 to 1 victory points in '44 and all I got was a simple window telling me I won a decisive victory! I wanted video of the surrender ceremony on Big Mo! I wanted video of the Times Square celebration! I wanted fireworks! I wanted something dramatic! It was sooooo anti-climatic!


Great!! Thanks for ruining the ending. Now I have nothing to look forward to.

[;)]
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

Ah, yes, Intellivision. I remember those days. You're dating yourself, you know.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
MemoryLeak
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Woodland, CA USA

RE: I'm so disappointed!!!

Post by MemoryLeak »

Yes I am. I was a poor rookie in the job I still have and fortunately single at the time, so I could blow money on stuff like that. Atari game consoles were only about $30. so you can see how much more Intellivison was. But it had really good games. B-17 was fun.

I still have my Intellivision and I picked up a few more at the Salvation Army store for $5.00 each. Did you ever play Burger Time? I beat that thing after a few hundred restarts. The controller was a bit unresponsive and could cause you to pull your hairout when it failled to move the character in the appropriate direction.
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”