Will she sink?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

I am playing the Allies Scn 15 PBEM. I made a big mistake in the first week and the Lex got hit by 6 250kg bombs.

It is 27 hexes from PH and moving 3 hexes per turn. Current damage is 56sys and 58 float, no fires.

Am I better off pulling into one of the size one ports which I can reach in 1-2 turns just to get the benifit of not being "at sea" or am I better off continuing to head for PH? I am pretty sure the path to PH is clear of subs.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Arkady
Posts: 1261
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:37 pm
Location: 27th Penal Battalion
Contact:

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Arkady »

if you have Advanced Damage Control ON then you can continue to PH without fear
Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

Hoping for the best. Allied DC is on but she picked up 8 float over the last two turns and lost 1/2 her speed as a result.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

I think it will be touch and go personally. All it takes is a couple of rough days and she'll be up near 70.....then 80.....then swimming with the fishes.

Fingers crossed though[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
wild_Willie2
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...

RE: Will she sink?

Post by wild_Willie2 »

think positiv, she WILL make it..... Negative vibes will only disturb the ships "naturall healing process" [:D]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

She will make it, She will make it, She will make it, She will make it, She will make it,......

She may not [;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Nikademus »

A size 1 or 2 port is not worth bothering with as the best you can do is "dock" not disperse. While the DC bonus increases your chances of success it's no guarantee. Your at the threshold where even the bonus might not help at sea. Dont try full speed as this will increase your chances of increased FLT damage.
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

Ooops...I was at full speed. Maybe that is why flooding went up.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Oznoyng
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:05 pm
Location: Mars

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Oznoyng »

Dude, not to worry. You have Allied Damage control. By the time you make port, Lex will be upgraded to an Essex with Corsairs, TBF's and Helldivers.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16722
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

So that's how it works! I was wondering.....
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Bradley7735 »

I don't know why everyone assumes Lex will survive. 58 float is a lot. She's at least 5 days (probably more since she's slowing down) from help. If she's in the 90's when she makes Pearl, she still has a chance of going down.

I don't think I've saved a ship at 58 float that was 27 hexes from a big port. 10 hexes, yes. 27 hexes? I'd give her no more than a 50/50 chance. More like 20% from my experience. 0% if your opponent is reading this.

The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Feinder »

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

[:D]

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
Dereck
Posts: 3328
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Romulus, MI

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Dereck »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

So that's how it works! I was wondering.....

If I remember my damage control training in the US Navy you removed water from a compartment with a Perijet (spelling?) Eductor by putting water INTO the compartment.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Will she sink?

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

I don't know why everyone assumes Lex will survive. 58 float is a lot. She's at least 5 days (probably more since she's slowing down) from help. If she's in the 90's when she makes Pearl, she still has a chance of going down.

I don't think I've saved a ship at 58 float that was 27 hexes from a big port. 10 hexes, yes. 27 hexes? I'd give her no more than a 50/50 chance. More like 20% from my experience. 0% if your opponent is reading this.

DOn't know, but I just sailed a ship from PH to Diego with 52% float damage the whole way. It got as high as 65% before dropping back down to 52%. On the other hand I have had ships with 50% flt damage sink in a matter of a day or two.

Its just plain dumb random luck.

Image
Attachments
blackie.gif
blackie.gif (29.15 KiB) Viewed 390 times
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Admiral DadMan »

At 58 flt and 27 hexes, I'd say find the nearest filling station, man. Even if she does make it, she's nearing progressive flooding, and once that kicks in, it's all over.

Pull ovah.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: Will she sink?

Post by RUPD3658 »

Two days later and at 64 float but 6 hexes closer.

I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can...
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Will she sink?

Post by steveh11Matrix »

Not so sure...you're going to be slowing down, thus increasing the time, plus you're increasing the flooding. As AD just said, "Pull Ovah".

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Will she sink?

Post by Speedysteve »

It's gonna be hit and miss as I said before.

Some amazing things can happen.

I once had Kaga at 53 FLT survive a 17 hex trip [8D]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Will she sink?

Post by tsimmonds »

I have thought/imagined that full speed makes flooding worse. Is there general agreement on this? What about not moving at all, intuitively that should help with flooding. Anyone have any experience with that?
Fear the kitten!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”