Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Demosthenes »

edit
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Demosthenes, I'd have many serious arguments to throw in discussions like this. Many. Personally I have solid knowledge of WW2 in Pacific and LOTS of experience with WITP game system, AND good idea what developers wanted to achieve with it. I have solid experience with beta testing too (games other than WITP). I DO have an opinion on various issues from the game.

But to seriously participate in time wasting threads like this I'd first have to perceive this as "serious discussion" - not just *another* point in endless Allied fanboy agenda - and this I can't do.

So it's futile. Fighting vs hard core Allied fanboys who never did actually play the game, and have only one agenda on mind. Arguing vs CHS guys who have "Allied fanboi" painted on their foreheads and tatooed on their chests. Yeah that's how I perceive them so sue me if you don't agree!

Guys like Mog, Nik, pry while he was active - incidentally, beta testers and guys who I respect immenselly, and trust almost unconditionally - said it better than me dozens, no hundereds of times before.

But for some guys it's never enough.

And to correct you, I don't think mdiehl bought the game, played it for, like, couple weeks, experimented playing the grand campaign till say 43, and then returned it because he was disappointed by what he saw. I think he *never* bought it at the first place (I may be wrong here though), which makes his participation on this board truely hilariously funny when you think about it.

Finally, that some guy, who does not even own the game, keeps this thread alive - well, from sociological standpoint this fact IS also funny I think you'll agree.

The fact that there are people ready to discuss Zero bonus, which is miniscule issue in the grand scheme of things, on 15 pages, while crucial, game-screwing, balance-breaking issues like Allied 4E bomber over abundance remain ignored, is also funny.

Respect, and lots of happines for the Xmas season [8D]

O.
User avatar
Honda
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Karlovac, Croatia

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Honda »

In Pauk's defence, he did just come back from a night out....[>:]

I think that mdiehl's knowledge is substantial. However, it's not the knowledge that is in question, or even the possesion of the game but the way he interprets it. I have never come across an argument in which he defended a Japanese position. Someone here asked how come the war wasn't over by December 10th '41 when responding to mdiehls posts. Of course that most of us have simpathys for one side or the other, but I can't be persuaded to belive that everything in this game is pro japanese because it isn't.
The fact is that depending on one's interpretation of historical data one can prove almost anything.
The sad part is that there was so much comotion about uberZero killing everything at 6:1 ratio only to be found that average losses are in the range of 2or1 : 1...Pointless waste of time[8|]

Question to mdiehl:
With all due respect, what is you point?
You decided not to play the game. You however wish to improve it but it's only improvement from your point of view. Not from mine. And I know it's CHS and not stock scenario but I also downloaded and thaught about playing it. I fear what the game would look like if you had your way with it.
So, just to go back up a little because I really am interested in what is the point of all this. We're here to improve the game but you aren't so why? Maybe for the discussions? I don't know...

User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

OH and there's ANOTHER, very game-related point, while we're at it!!

I think those guys either don't play the game (as is case with Mr. Diehl) or - what is maybe even more important - *DON'T KNOW* to play the game.

In other words they suck as players, strategists, wargamers. There you go I said it [:@]

So they need to invent various faults and make some mod to their suiting, so that they can win with less effort.

I play as Allies. Zero bonus or no Zero bonus (haha, I laugh at Zero bonus) I am sure I can win. Mog threw his unlimited crazy Godzilla lunacy plans on me and I lived. Allies have MORE than enough tools to win decisively in this game. Yes, perhaps even before 43.

Also, I am GOOD player, but I lost game as IJN vs. *extremely* good Allied player who wiped the floor with my sorry ass by May 42, Zero bonus or no Zero bonus (he destroyed more of my Zeros by May 42 than IJN lost during the whole war or at least it felt that way on the receiving end).

How come this guy managed to do it, and mdiehl can't? Oh that's right, this dude actually *perfected* his strategy by *playing* the friggen game, while mdiehl whined on the board, and CHS guys spent their youth tinkering with database adding craploads of Allied stuff and reducing Zero range [;)]

So stop whining and play! Get some experience and learn to play the game! It's fun BTW [8D]

O.
User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Demosthenes »

Oleg, Honda, Pauk, anyone else..

Disagreeing with someone, debating with someone, doing your best to disprove what someone is saying - is all fine and part of the game -as it should always be.

My only out burst was aimed at the personal attack which has never been an excepted part of good public discourse.

I have no dislike or animosity for anyone, but my sense of fair play was upset at the appearant personal attacks since I have not witnessed Mdiehl partake in kind.

I would rather keep everything friendly and on good decorum, as I would hope all men of good will would do.[;)]

Demosthenes
User avatar
ChezDaJez
Posts: 3293
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 am
Location: Chehalis, WA

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by ChezDaJez »

Time after time I have read this man's arguments and they are informative and sound.

The problem is that I find them neither informative nor sound. He seldom, if ever, provides the source of his information when asked. If his data is so correct, why not provide the source so that other people can read it and draw their own conclusions. I've been a fan of WWII history for over 35 years. I have also been heavily involved in board and computer (since its inception anyways) wargaming for over 35 years.

I have little respect for his opinions relating to the game as he has little experience with it. He claims to have played a 5-month game period, probably as the allies vs the AI and washed his hands of it because it didn't meet his view of history. Well, that's too bad. If his only reaon for being here is to bad-mouth the game, then he should just move on. The vast majority of people on this forum enjoy playing the game. Do we debate its merits? Absolutely. Do we recognize there are flaws? You betcha. But from a position of knowledge and experience of which he has neither.

He claims to possess great knowledge of WWII aerial tactics. From what I've seen, his knowledge of WWII appears to be limited to watching the History Channel. Maybe he should just go find a WWII history forum and present his views there. Maybe he'll find some else to fool.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Ron Saueracker »

So it's futile. Fighting vs hard core Allied fanboys who never did actually play the game, and have only one agenda on mind. Arguing vs CHS guys who have "Allied fanboi" painted on their foreheads and tatooed on their chests. Yeah that's how I perceive them so sue me if you don't agree!

You are as bad as you perceive Mdiehl to be Oleg. If you even bothered to look at the CHS you would see it has nothing to do with Allied Fanboy shit and lots to do with trying to improve accuracy of OOBs, ASW, art, other game mechanics etc. As for an agenda, why don't you just ask to be one of the official "Warm and Fuzzies" instead of spewing off a bunch of shit. Seriously, apply for a job. No company can have enough Smithers types.

Merry Xmas.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by bradfordkay »

What I find amusing is Oleg's comment about the CHS being an Allied Fanboy's dream. The CHS heavily reduces the amount of Allied 4E bombers, as well as allied fighter replacements, squadron upgrades, etc. I am sure that it does the same for the Japanese as well, (I'm not looking at the Japanese side until I finish playing as allied - I don't want extra intel).

Oleg, the CHS has actually implemented some of the improvements you have requested. Why not give it a chance?

Have you played the CHS, or are you pulling a Mdiehl?
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by pauk »


Dem, i can agree with you... but you are new here and you probably did not see previous posts by Mdiehl. I can assure you, any arguments won't change his attitude so it is really pointless. And I can't have discussion with someone who dont play game (ok, try to imagine two persons talking about sex - one is pretty active on that area, while the other "tried this once and he did not like it". But the former trying to convince "active guy" that something is wrong with sex)...

I'm always for discussion and have respect for other people. Just to mention few of them: Feinder, Tom Hunter, "the big renegade" Ron Saueracker[;)] (I do not agree with most of his arguments, but he was right about ASW). But they all play the game and they know what they are talking...
Image
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by pauk »

oh, yes, forgot to mentioned.

discussion is nice, but i always prefer the acts rather than "tounge skills". So I've proposed me as beta-tester of new all mighty CHS without Zero bonus, but as Allied player vs "historical fanboys" in Japs boots.

Never got any offer. I guess that Allied fanboys know what they asking for.

I'm finished with this (really).

Image
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Ron Saueracker »

On a lighter note, all you Croats are making me thirsty. You guys have some really good beer over there.[&o]
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by pauk »

well, Ron, If you ever come to Croatia i will offer you a beer "Oleg"[:D] (no, such beer doesn't exist but i'm good friend with Executive director of Ozujsko brewery so we can start a limited production "Oleg" beer - just for you).

[;)]
Image
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Ron Saueracker »

i'm good friend with Executive director of Ozujsko brewery

Lucky bugger.[:)]
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
Oleg, the CHS has actually implemented some of the improvements you have requested. Why not give it a chance?

Have you played the CHS, or are you pulling a Mdiehl?

Played it, vs AI for couple turns, which I agree is not *nearly* enough. But at least I took a look at it from *player's* perspective.

I would love to play couple CHS games, why not? But I am shallow and I need a nice map to look at [;)] What happened with plans for Sub Chaser to make his variant of AB map for CHS? Last I heard those plans were postponed, and SC disappeared from the boards?

O.

User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

On a lighter note, all you Croats are making me thirsty. You guys have some really good beer over there.[&o]

Do we? Personally I prefer Belgian beers over anything else.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
Oleg, the CHS has actually implemented some of the improvements you have requested. Why not give it a chance?

Have you played the CHS, or are you pulling a Mdiehl?

Played it, vs AI for couple turns, which I agree is not *nearly* enough. But at least I took a look at it from *player's* perspective.

I would love to play couple CHS games, why not? But I am shallow and I need a nice map to look at [;)] What happened with plans for Sub Chaser to make his variant of AB map for CHS? Last I heard those plans were postponed, and SC disappeared from the boards?

O.


I don't know what happened to SubChaser...he seems to come and go. Probably OD'd and needs a break like we all could use sometimes. Agreed, his version of the stock map is beautiful and if he and AB did the same to ABs map that would be something. ABs map is pretty good though.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
I don't know what happened to SubChaser...he seems to come and go.

Here is what I know (I have posted this before but I will post it again): Subchaser did intend to make a version of my map from scratch. After a while, however, he informed me that he thought that it would be too big a job. Instead, he made a modified version of my map, but with his style of fonts (sample attached). Although it was never 100% completed, he sent me a copy of the map. Before it could be completed (we were experimenting with industry and resource symbols) he stopped replying to my emails. When I mentioned in a previous thread that I had the map, I asked whether anyone wanted me to make it available, but I didn't receive any replies, so I never uploaded it onto my website.

Andrew

PS: CHS is all about trying to achieve as accurate a historical balance as is reasonably possible, given the limitations of the game engine and the time of the volunteer contributors. It is also very much a work in progress, as stated in the CHS documentation. The success of the scenario depends on contributions and feedback from interested players. Some seem to claim that CHS is an "Alled fanboy" mod; they are free to call it what they like, but if anyone has a genuine complaint or issue with the scenario, please let us know, along with the reasons for the complaint, and it will be looked at. If you think the scenario is unbalanced in the favour of the Allies, let us know why you think so.


Image
Attachments
Sample2.jpg
Sample2.jpg (44.68 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
el cid again
Posts: 16984
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:40 pm

RE: Proposal for CHS - Remove the Zero bonus. Any opinions?

Post by el cid again »

PS: CHS is all about trying to achieve as accurate a historical balance as is reasonably possible, given the limitations of the game engine and the time of the volunteer contributors. It is also very much a work in progress, as stated in the CHS documentation. The success of the scenario depends on contributions and feedback from interested players. Some seem to claim that CHS is an "Alled fanboy" mod; they are free to call it what they like, but if anyone has a genuine complaint or issue with the scenario, please let us know, along with the reasons for the complaint, and it will be looked at. If you think the scenario is unbalanced in the favour of the Allies, let us know why you think so.

I cannot resist. I wanted some changes - and CHS put me to work. Not where I wanted to work - but where they needed work done. And what is the point in joining a team if you don't do what they need you do do? Anyway, I got to look at some of the data - field by field - in the exhaustive sort of way I do everything. IF CHS (and stock for that matter - many errors in CHS are IDENTICAL in stock) can be said to be in the pocket of any "fanboys" - surely they are Japanese. Gross exaggerations of the ranges of recon planes, for example. Fictional numbers of heavy weapons in Land Combat Units. Ships that are almost nuclear powered - one can go 1.75 times as far on only 2/3 of the real fuel - but do this FASTER than the real cruising speed. [Ship speed increases the need for power at an astronomical rate - and fuel consumption goes up as power goes up - this is something like a cube function]. I could go on. Every discussion I get in with CHS people is ALWAYS about accuracy, fixing what isn't right, and what is most important to fix first. Look for it to get better with each release as long as that remains the attitude. It is very clear this is not an AFB club.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”