ORIGINAL: Hoplosternum
That's a very interesting scenario and sounds a great game. But I am curious to know who initiated a fight over the Aleutians? I can't imagine that the game rewards a Vancouver or Bust strategy by the IJ and the air attrition must be even worse than usual for him [:)]
For a full description of events have a peek at my AAR:
tm.asp?m=1037286
But in short:
I only planned a quick invasion of both Attu/Kiska (which Faber had taken off me). Neither of us knew what the other was planning and then BHAM on the first day of my sortie from Dutch Harbour my CV's bump into his mini-KB = he loses a couple of CV's.
From then on its been a slugfest. His LBA from Kiska/Attu was mainly nullified by my CV's and BB bombardments (a couple of hits on capital ships sustained by me) but then I lost Yorktown to an I-boat and have suffered moderate damage to 3 x BB's fom LBA.
Mines and CD's at Attu caused 10-15 ships to sink outright.
Attu was no walk in the park and it took my men a few weeks to surpress and take the place.
Faber has evac'd his remaining men from there.
Since then i've slowly built up Attu on a shoestring whilst Faber has been trying to get stuff into Kiska by the looks of it. He also tried bombarding Attu but some (in the nick of time reinforcements) Avengers/Beauforts put a couple of fish into Yamato which has made him think twice.
All-in-all it was supposed to be a quick and pain free exercise on my part but has turned into a prolonged campaign with us both committing more ships and planes. At least thats how I see it.
Certainly hasn't been 1 sided. We've both lost CV's, suffered damage to BB's, lost numerous support ships to various offensive causes. Only in air losses has he lost about 1000 planes to my 350-400 I would have thought so far.