AE Grandmaster

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Ashington, England.

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I was gonna nominate Paul Miller....

[:'(]

I must admit I am similar to Sandra Bullock, except in looks, figure and bank balance.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

On second thought, please don't allow me to hijack what can be a useful thread. I apologize and hope the rest of you guys can refrain from the temptation to participate in the hijacking.

Hijack is such a harsh word. Besides, I think we are nearing consensus. The true AE Grandmasters should be required to enter their moves with a 120lb jockey on their back....and they should feel the whip if they take too long too.

That should een things out a bit
Image
Alfred
Posts: 6683
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Alfred »

Continuing my trip down memory lane ....
 
Although the thread dates from 2011 I thought it would provide useful information for new players seeking PBEM partners.  Plus it is time the list of AE Grandmasters were updated to include those who only took up the game post 2011.  So time to nominate the most recent worthy recipients of the accolade.
 
Alfred
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Andy Mac »

its so hard PZB is still the best I ever played his use of SCTF's left me dizzy

I wish with hindsight I had stuck with Nemo it would have been so much fun but I just couldn't cope with the mod or the style.

Last 5 years I have either been absent or only working on AI's not had much time for PBEM so not taken any games out of 44 in a while so I just don't know
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by mind_messing »

PzB's tactical successes were amazing, but there's more to playing Japan than generating impressive combat reports. In some sense I compare PzB with Pyrrhus of Epirus - with the supply and fuel expenditure being unacceptably and unsustainably large.

Lokasenna (rightly) gets my first nomination. He is, as far as I know, the only player who's strategy to destroy the KB was to lose a pair of fleet carriers to encourage the IJN to fall into a trap. On top of that there's the diligent and yeomanlike play as both IJ and Allies

Lowpe gets a nomination for a degree of masochism that the IJ High Command can only aspire to.

Obvert also, as I don't believe there's any other player that has as much late-game experience as he does (at least not in AAR'd games).

User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Lokasenna (rightly) gets my first nomination. He is, as far as I know, the only player who's strategy to destroy the KB was to lose a pair of fleet carriers to encourage the IJN to fall into a trap. On top of that there's the diligent and yeomanlike play as both IJ and Allies

...I did? I haven't run a turn in so long, I've forgotten what I was even doing, let alone what's happened ;)
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12865
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Sardaukar »

While being nominated in this thread and proud of it, there is one difference:

Almost all of my advice is towards newbies, so more of "sempai" (senior student in dojo and often instructing newcomers). So not really sensei (master) who would instruct advanced and senior students.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

While being nominated in this thread and proud of it, there is one difference:

Almost all of my advice is towards newbies, so more of "sempai" (senior student in dojo and often instructing newcomers). So not really sensei (master) who would instruct advanced and senior students.

What does it take to be a senior student? An AARP card? Being forgetful? No longer have a suit that fits?

User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

While being nominated in this thread and proud of it, there is one difference:

Almost all of my advice is towards newbies, so more of "sempai" (senior student in dojo and often instructing newcomers). So not really sensei (master) who would instruct advanced and senior students.

What does it take to be a senior student? An AARP card? Being forgetful? No longer have a suit that fits?
I resemble that description!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19765
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]

Just because you played with pants that are too large with no belt nor suspenders . . .

But at least you are still alive . . . [&o]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]

Just because you played with pants that are too large with no belt nor suspenders . . .

But at least you are still alive . . . [&o]
I had belt and braces! He used them to slingshot me! [:D] The guy's a freaking Terminator![X(] But he he always says "liquidate" so I think I'll call him "The liquidator!" [:D] Come to think of it , that sounds like he keeps going out of business[X(]. [&:][:D]
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19765
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'd like to see a category of "Young Turks" as masters. People who were relatively new when this thread premiered , but now approach , and might actually be considered (despite their youth). For that category I nominate Chickenboy. AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D] As you might discern , I've played against him many times . And each time been humiliated! [:(]

Just because you played with pants that are too large with no belt nor suspenders . . .

But at least you are still alive . . . [&o]
I had belt and braces! He used them to slingshot me! [:D] The guy's a freaking Terminator![X(] But he he always says "liquidate" so I think I'll call him "The liquidator!" [:D] Come to think of it , that sounds like he keeps going out of business[X(]. [&:][:D]

I thought that he preferred the 75mm German pak. But slingshot ammo, I can get a lot of that around here.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12865
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

While being nominated in this thread and proud of it, there is one difference:

Almost all of my advice is towards newbies, so more of "sempai" (senior student in dojo and often instructing newcomers). So not really sensei (master) who would instruct advanced and senior students.

What does it take to be a senior student? An AARP card? Being forgetful? No longer have a suit that fits?

My suit fits...just donno where i did put it...
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

You say the sweetest things. [;)]
Image
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

You say the sweetest things. [;)]
You just wait till our next re-match! I'll show you! How little I've learned.....[8|]
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
AKA LYB$&&^%$$^&U&*U!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

You say the sweetest things. [;)]
You just wait till our next re-match! I'll show you! How little I've learned.....[8|]
You 2 remind me of a certain Star Trek episode...

Image
Attachments
KirkandKang.jpg
KirkandKang.jpg (345.91 KiB) Viewed 552 times
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by BBfanboy »

Spock looks dismayed. Is his mother coming to visit?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19765
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Spock looks dismayed. Is his mother coming to visit?

He did not mind his mother visiting, it was his father's visits that disturbed him.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy




You say the sweetest things. [;)]
You just wait till our next re-match! I'll show you! How little I've learned.....[8|]
You 2 remind me of a certain Star Trek episode...

THAT Star Trek series was before my time, old timer. [:'(]

What's the gist of the episode, or do I have to look it up on Memory Alpha?
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”