Fewer PC retail games available
Moderator: maddog986
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
Apparently "non active" in the download version. It's certainly not showing up in my services or harware (not even hidden).
But I know what you mean.
But I know what you mean.
Alba gu' brath
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
... I used to go to my local Electronique Boutique store (then to Game when they changed hands) every Friday to see what new games were out...I always looked forward to a Friday lunchtime. Now, it's never worth it. Either it's the same old crap or it's a new game but, well...the same old crap!
Same here, so the clerk suggested I go to GameStop on-line; there I saw a stand-alone expansion to CoH and Codename Panzers: Cold War, both soon to be released.
Otherwise, I saw several new copies of Empire TW, but the graphic demands and HD space would tax my machine, so I went for CiC 2009.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]
[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
[/center][center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
- V22 Osprey
- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
- Location: Corona, CA
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.
Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.
For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.
Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.
Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.
For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.
Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.


Art by rogueusmc.
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
Many game stores in Finland have gone under and replaced by others. At least one store that has been around over 5 years still has about same # of PC games seems to have stayed equal. There are used games too for very reasonable prices. It seems that all the PC games outnumber at least Wii games [:D]ORIGINAL: Terminus
Not my experience. The ratio of PC to console games on sale in the shops has been more or less constant here for several years.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.
MekWars
MekWars
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
Along similiar lines, I have noticed standard DVD shelf space declining as console games, and Blue Ray DVDs expand their borders....
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.
Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.
For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated ...
Also, they probably don't have to Beta test as much for the console.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]
[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
[/center][center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
AMD Ryzen 9800X3D
MSI MPG X870E CARBON
32 GB G-Skill Model DDR5 6400
Sapphire Nitro X 9070 XT 16GB
AOC Q27G3XMN 2560X1440 180 Hz
Dell G2724D 2560x1440 165Hz
Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe
Win 11 Pro
MSI MPG X870E CARBON
32 GB G-Skill Model DDR5 6400
Sapphire Nitro X 9070 XT 16GB
AOC Q27G3XMN 2560X1440 180 Hz
Dell G2724D 2560x1440 165Hz
Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe
Win 11 Pro
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.
Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.
For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.
Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.
They're still making the games though. They just aren't stocking them in the stores that you would expect to find them in. Best Buy still has a large selection, but who knows for how long?
Goblin
- V22 Osprey
- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
- Location: Corona, CA
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: Goblin
ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I think thst the reason console games are taking over is one thing:easier to make.
Thinkk about it, for a console everyone has the same system specs.
For a PC game, you have to make it work on a range of different systems, meaning adding a graphics option menu plus making different levels of details for game.....PC games way more complicated.
Also its because people want instant action, and most computers can't handle the level of actiony detail people want.
They're still making the games though. They just aren't stocking them in the stores that you would expect to find them in. Best Buy still has a large selection, but who knows for how long?
Goblin
I think it will be awhile, Best buy still has fairly old titles still there so I think they will have a nice selection for a while since they keep their games.


Art by rogueusmc.
- Adam Parker
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
- Location: Melbourne Australia
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
I'll never forget the day I saw Steel Panthers 1 in a game store (packed with business shoppers at lunch time). I fell in love with those then mind-blowing, gorgeous graphics immediately.
On my next visit, I bought the game. I didn't have a PC to play it with yet!
Thing is, little did we know in the mid 90's how much game AI's sucked. We were full of hope. Naive with excitement.
And the industry has left us holding the ball since.
*****
I also remember the day when I saw Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge board game (the 1967 version no less) in a mainstream department store. But that company left us holding the ball too when it moved to paper maps.
History always repeats in the consumer world.
On my next visit, I bought the game. I didn't have a PC to play it with yet!
Thing is, little did we know in the mid 90's how much game AI's sucked. We were full of hope. Naive with excitement.
And the industry has left us holding the ball since.
*****
I also remember the day when I saw Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge board game (the 1967 version no less) in a mainstream department store. But that company left us holding the ball too when it moved to paper maps.
History always repeats in the consumer world.
- goodwoodrw
- Posts: 2665
- Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:19 pm
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
The whole PC software industry only has its self to blame. I can remember all those years ago when when QQA released War in the South Pacific ( something like that), the Australian release had a major bug, you couldn't save the game something like that, it wasn't playable out of the box, in the days before the internet and d/l patches, you were at the mercy of the distributor. I remember ringing the distributor's office after reading about a patch in a magazine, he told me he couldn't give a stuff and he had more important things to do than worrying about a patch. At that time I thought software piracy should become a legitimate business.[;)] The truth s most software houses, distributors and retailers still have the same attitude today. Mind you, the console industry probably isn't much better.
Formerly Goodwood
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
... On my next visit, I bought the game. I didn't have a PC to play it with yet!
Thing is, little did we know in the mid 90's how much game AI's sucked. We were full of hope. Naive with excitement ...
*****
I also remember the day when I saw Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge board game (the 1967 version no less) in a mainstream department store. But that company left us holding the ball too when it moved to paper maps ...
I've played several Bulge sims, but I am still patiently waitng for what I hope to be the best of the bunch; BftB.
For years I had a laptop for schoolwork and the such, but used a console for gaming; then I finally decided to give the console to my nephew and invest in a desktop because back then real gamers played computer games.
And now look what's happening to gaming [X(]
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]
[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
[/center][center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
- doomtrader
- Posts: 5319
- Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:21 am
- Location: Poland
- Contact:
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
BASB,
Do you think why they started to add hard drive to consoles?
Anyway, I understand that the new games can came out with some bugs. They are huge, complicated and developer has got limited possibility to test the game in different settings, harware etc.
But games should be patched ASAP.
Do you think why they started to add hard drive to consoles?
Anyway, I understand that the new games can came out with some bugs. They are huge, complicated and developer has got limited possibility to test the game in different settings, harware etc.
But games should be patched ASAP.
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Apparently "non active" in the download version. It's certainly not showing up in my services or harware (not even hidden).
But I know what you mean.
Black Shark is available on vedor shelves here and I'm still sitting on the fence. [:)]
How about the campaign, are there linked missions, does it feel involving and realistic? I would appreciate something like Falcon 4 had to offer, but never could get into Il-2, as the overall feeling was too generic and bland for my taste.
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
Cheaper? I ordered Starshatter 4 and paid it with wire transfer. Cost me over 50 €!ORIGINAL: hadberz
Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.
MekWars
MekWars
- Jeffrey H.
- Posts: 3154
- Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 pm
- Location: San Diego, Ca.
RE: Fewer PC retail games available
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
Cheaper? I ordered Starshatter 4 and paid it with wire transfer. Cost me over 50 €!ORIGINAL: hadberz
Another reason is people like me who can't be bothered to look for a game in stores. I order all my games online including cd/dvds, plus the price is a lot cheaper.
I used to have a good time combind the bargain bins at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for old software. Picked up some great deals. Nowadays those bins don't contain any old PC games.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.
Ron Swanson
Ron Swanson






