Step this way... BOOOOM

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

Post by Charles2222 »

G_X: Hmm, well that makes our whole conversation a bit superfluous. I'm glad you've joined the ranks of the smoke grenade outraged. Down with the smoke grenades, down with them I say! Actually, I've always taken the smokers to be one lousy grenade, and given how I've actually used them before, that makes it even more of a joke. Perhaps each grenade is really supposed to be a cluster of them? Still, I can't see smoke that isn't being replenished for very long hanging as long as it does.

BTW, you might want to resort to emoicons next time you're ribbing, particularly if you're ribbing minutia freaks (or quasi ones in my case). You've got the mantra from the "let's never get into detail" crowd down very well; it's quite authentic. If you're like me, a lot of time you like to not use emoticons because it seems to make it funnier that way, but alas, sometimes it can be misunderstood. Sorry I couldn't see it, you were just too blamed authentic.

And the TKSS I referred to earlier, I view the syndrome in less terms of what it seems to mean and more in terms of, a, shall we say, tendency. The tendency is exemplified by imagination. For example, if smoke grenades last too long imagine some reason they hang so long (birds kicking up dust etc.). If the computer don't work, imagine that peace broke out, so there can't be any more fighting.
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

Ahh yes, usually I stay away from smilies because when people think I'm deadpan (My usual state talking to other normal people.) Then I can't help but laugh when they respond with "OH MY GOD" type posts. Though I will try to remember to use them when necessary.

Hades: I don't think stabbing someone at 50-100m away is really realistic, I think it's one knife that's supposed to be reused, but all weapons have to have a range of 1 hex. Game limitations, Eh.

Charles: I checked it out, in Rogue Spear, I dropped a smoke grenade, it lasted all of about two minutes before disipating fully. That's my kind of smoke grenade. I really don't see them being used the way they are in WaW at all, it's the equivalent of dropping 100 smoke grenades, as each one effectively only covers less than 5 meters.

In Rogue Spear their use is obvious, I drop the suckers everywhere I might see an enemy and don't want him to be able to take a shot at me. But I've never had an incident of "Mass Smoking." where the whole squad would toss them into an area, usually only on entrances to buildings, or other such gaps in cover, or inside a hall that I'm about to charge into. Removing them entirely is my vote, as I don't see their ability to be used, game limitations force them to be incredibly unrealistic, so I don't care to have them at all.

I also have a gripe about direct-firing and smoke, I could easily fire a tanks cannon or a MG into a cloud of smoke, or past it. But the game, since smoke blocks LOS, doesn't allow me to direct fire somewhere I don't have LOS.

I can't STAND this, I know a squad is behind a smoke could, but I can't direct fire or shoot at it because of the **** smoke cloud.

Eh, anyways.
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

Post by Charles2222 »

G_X: Yeah they should at least allow direct-fire bombardment without having to see the target hex because you may know where the enemy is but can't hit it for the invincible smoke wall. It seems I've heard that CL will alleviate the problem of wall-like properties somewhat, but how I don't recall.
G_X
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by G_X »

I've seen smoke in other games as a hex-property (IE, Hex Smoked = True, then Spotting = -50%) So it makes it harder to see units in the smoke, but allows you to still shoot through them. I think this is just something that is caused by the aging SP engine. CL should fix the problem I hope...can't wait for CL.

That and sometimes the smoke just doesn't make sense...ok, take this example, I force an enemy unit to retreat one turn, and it leaves a big dense cloud of smoke. Well, the tank that caused this, on it's next turn rolls on into that cloud of smoke, and instantly gets assaulted by the rallied infantry squad. I could see it if maybe the squad had night-vision :rolleyes: but my tank was inside a cloud of smoke, and they just run at it and toss grenades at it and such? Ugh, so annoying.

That and assaults are useless....it can take me 7 or 8 tries to kill something with an assault, but can take me on other times on things much harder to kill just once. Bleah at that...My infantry should be able to just sneak up on Tigers and drop grenades in the Engine, but they should be able to do it to Shermans and such too, and sometimes it feels like they can't, even on Half Tracks....
If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”