USS Independence Found

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

No, Midway. He played Halsey in that. Stuck in bed with dermatitis or something.

oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

For me this sums up John Wayne....

http://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/wp ... ogburn.jpg
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

Did everyone see the post I did in another thread? It was a link to an interview with Michael Caine who did some amazing impressions of Wayne. Most hilariously a bunch of actors were meeting for some reason or other and they gave Wayne Hamlet's soliloquy to read out loud. He read a few lines and then said something like "What the f? Who wrote this ****?" [:D][:D][:D]

oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

No, Midway. He played Halsey in that. Stuck in bed with dermatitis or something.

That's right... now I remembered. Charlton Heston blurred my memories of the movie.

Does anyone remember the 'winds of war' by Herman Wouk (I guess ) TV series. It was a huge hit in Turkey in late 80's, but I regularly pissed people off by commenting on the various inaccuracies in the production like 'hey that's not a M41 German uniform or this is not a german Halftrack'
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Did everyone see the post I did in another thread? It was a link to an interview with Michael Caine who did some amazing impressions of Wayne. Most hilariously a bunch of actors were meeting for some reason or other and they gave Wayne Hamlet's soliloquy to read out loud. He read a few lines and then said something like "What the f? Who wrote this ****?" [:D][:D][:D]

I couldnt find it , can you please direct us to the post ?
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I'll try and find it. It wasn't the "Alas poor Yorick" one but "To be or not to be. Whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or by opposing end them."

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »


User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

Forgot "That is the question". Just watched it again. Caine is hysterical.

oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

Any Lee Marvin fans here ? I did like him a lot. He seemed more 'realistic' when it came to gritty movies. The one he played with Toshiro Mifune was very good. I cant see Duke playing that one ( he would have shot Mifune in the second 5 minutes )
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

Everybody likes Lee Marvin. Did you bring that up because YouTube fed you a one of him after the Caine bit? I didn't like "The Big Red One" much (the movie with Luke Skywalker in it). It played like a TV movie from that era. The extended scene of him with the boy from the concentration camp was well done though.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

He could do comedy too. Remember him playing two different characters in "Cat Ballou"?

oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Everybody likes Lee Marvin. Did you bring that up because YouTube fed you a one of him after the Caine bit? I didn't like "The Big Red One" much (the movie with Luke Skywalker in it). It played like a TV movie from that era. The extended scene of him with the boy from the concentration camp was well done though.


Yes and no, he came to my mind when u mentioned Midway -> Toshiro was there -> Lee Marvin
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

Cat Ballou , of course I do with Jane Fonda right ?
User avatar
IdahoNYer
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 am
Location: NYer living in Boise, ID

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by IdahoNYer »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

No, Midway. He played Halsey in that. Stuck in bed with dermatitis or something.


JW wasn't in Midway. Robert Mitchum played Halsey.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

oops

gonna have to get my brain checked for aluminum deposits.

danlongman
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: Over the hills and far away

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by danlongman »

I thinks the one that Lee Marvin did with Toshiro Mufune was Hell In The Pacific.
I am too lazy right now to practice google-fu. I like Lee Marvin in Raintree County.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

oops

gonna have to get my brain checked for aluminum deposits.

and where does that put me ?
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

I thinks the one that Lee Marvin did with Toshiro Mufune was Hell In The Pacific.
I am too lazy right now to practice google-fu. I like Lee Marvin in Raintree County.


wasnt he a real marine ?
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

Yes he was. Purple Heart x3 I think. Pacific.

DD696
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:57 pm
Location: near Savannah, Ga

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by DD696 »

Ah, Lee Marvin. Only one purple heart received during the battle for Saipan.

A Marine's Marine. He's been gone 28 years now.

One of the best - not like the pretty boy actors today.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”