USS Independence Found

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

USS Independence Found

Post by Zorch »

Don't know if anyone has posted this... http://www.nbcnews.com/science/weird-sc ... or-n343596

Image
Attachments
independen..1200800.jpg
independen..1200800.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 428 times
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I had thought they only did H-bomb tests there (Bikini), but I see they did some of both. Do you know that they did over 900 underground A-bomb tests in Nevada and over 100 aboveground?

Image
Attachments
tourist8.jpg
tourist8.jpg (404.54 KiB) Viewed 431 times

User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by wdolson »

There are quite a few stories of downwinders from nuclear tests. Some western was being filmed downwind from one and a very large percentage of people who worked on that movie developed cancer including John Wayne.

I suspect my father's family was affected. He went back to Michigan to move his family to Los Angeles in 1952. They went through the Southwest when all the bombs were being tested. All 4 of them developed cancer in the late 60s. In his sister's case, she didn't tell anyone until it was too late and in his parent's case, the cancer was growing slow enough they ended up dying of something else. My father developed a nerve cancer in his back that is fairly rare, but metastasizes very easily. He had the tumor removed and fortunately it never came back. He's still kicking.

I suspect my father is almost pure Sami (the native people of northern Scandinavia) who have a very high resistance to heart disease and cancer.

Bill
WIS Development Team
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I'm sorry about what happened. We didn't seem to know what we were doing. Apart from appearances, we really didn't know what we were doing.

barkhorn45
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by barkhorn45 »

The movie was "The Conqueror"with John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.
Not one of his best.
There were quite a few eventual cancer death's amongst the cast and crew.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

Wasn't one of Susan Hayward's best either. As a matter of fact it was one of the worst movies ever made. At least "Plan Nine from Outer Space" was funny.

Coach Zuck
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:34 am
Location: Long Island NY

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by Coach Zuck »

My father was in the US Air Force during the Korean War and the early 50's.

He was present at multiple Nuclear Bomb detonations... you know the ones when the would march the troops through after the blast!
He actually drove through on the last two.
In the 1990's he developed a lot of health issues including a type of Immune System Deficiency; his body was producing less then half of the types of white blood cells and other "stuff".
When he was 75 he was told by the VA that he was the ONLY survivor of multiple tests(from that time) to SURVIVE to 75!
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I believe the dust that was kicked up by the marching, as well as that kicked up by Jeeps was the main culprit. I really don't know what to say about that period of time when we were experimenting on soldiers. I don't know why soldiers or veterans were considered to be in a special class apart from the rest of us, and why they could be experimented on without much knowledge. I know that in some cases they were told something about what they were volunteering for, but not everything.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

The movie was "The Conqueror"with John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.
Not one of his best.
There were quite a few eventual cancer death's amongst the cast and crew.


Not only did Wayne play in that awful movie, but in the same year he acted in "The Searchers", probably the best film he was in and a great film all considered, and it wouldn't be without his contribution. If you haven't seen it get it and watch it.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I'd like to expand on my previous comments. A lot of people don't think John Wayne was a very good actor, maybe just a good character actor. Watch "The Searchers", you'll know what kind of actor he was.

oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

I like the way the thread evolved into nuclear tests and than into John Wayne's actorship level :) Which I think is ok bw. I liked True Grit a lott and only expandables series are on par for enjoyability with the one he made with Dean Martin and James Caan. His 'ww2' movies suck a bit though.

To add flavor to the nuke testing topic, I lived about 20km next to a missile silo in black sea. We were told that it housed missiles but years later learned it wasnt since '63. For some silly reason they gave me comfort.

Then there was chernobyll, I walked to school under the rain for the whole 5 days after it happened and Russians did not bother to tell the word until the 4th day or so and turkish govnt. decided to warn on the 5th. Next 2 generations, black sea region was full of stories about real "mutants" , humans,cows,dogs etc.. It had rained into the soil and seeped into the water flow and main crop of region was tea that "drinks a lot". Rate seems to have subsided now but the toll was great I think, though never officially disclosed. I wonder how hard Ukraine was hit.



Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Coach Zuck

My father was in the US Air Force during the Korean War and the early 50's.

He was present at multiple Nuclear Bomb detonations... you know the ones when the would march the troops through after the blast!
He actually drove through on the last two.
In the 1990's he developed a lot of health issues including a type of Immune System Deficiency; his body was producing less then half of the types of white blood cells and other "stuff".
When he was 75 he was told by the VA that he was the ONLY survivor of multiple tests(from that time) to SURVIVE to 75!
My father was on Wake and the Marshalls during the tests. He was a meteorologist; part of his job was to measure radiation.
He died of prostate cancer 60 years later.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

I like the way the thread evolved into nuclear tests and than into John Wayne's actorship level :) Which I think is ok bw. I liked True Grit a lott and only expandables series are on par for enjoyability with the one he made with Dean Martin and James Caan. His 'ww2' movies suck a bit though.


He was fine in "Midway" though his part was small.

I hope you stay healthy.

User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

My father was on Wake and the Marshalls during the tests. He was a meteorologist; part of his job was to measure radiation.
He died of prostate cancer 60 years later.

My father's doctor told him most men over 70 have prostate cancer, though in many cases it is growing so slowly they die of something else.

Looking at the game map, I have wondered what we would call 2 piece bathing suits if the US had selected Rongelap instead of Bikini for the tests.

Bill
WIS Development Team
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

I've heard the same. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be the thing that kills you, unless you're young, say 40's or 50's.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

ORIGINAL: Zorch

My father was on Wake and the Marshalls during the tests. He was a meteorologist; part of his job was to measure radiation.
He died of prostate cancer 60 years later.

My father's doctor told him most men over 70 have prostate cancer, though in many cases it is growing so slowly they die of something else.

Looking at the game map, I have wondered what we would call 2 piece bathing suits if the US had selected Rongelap instead of Bikini for the tests.

Bill

Was a no piece bathing suit an option?

User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by wdolson »



ORIGINAL: wdolson

Looking at the game map, I have wondered what we would call 2 piece bathing suits if the US had selected Rongelap instead of Bikini for the tests.

Bill
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Was a no piece bathing suit an option?

Common in some places in the world I hear.

Bill
WIS Development Team
rockmedic109
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I've heard the same. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be the thing that kills you, unless you're young, say 40's or 50's.
Two basic types. The most common {by far most common} type grows so slow that you'll die of old age before it can kill you.
The other type is incredibly aggressive and fast growing and usually fatal by the time it is discovered.
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I've heard the same. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be the thing that kills you, unless you're young, say 40's or 50's.
Two basic types. The most common {by far most common} type grows so slow that you'll die of old age before it can kill you.
The other type is incredibly aggressive and fast growing and usually fatal by the time it is discovered.

This thread shows the profile of WITP:AE players to a great extent... Come on people ! I am 45 and play Battlefield 4 on my xbox and from time to time I show those youngsters what killzone means...
oaltinyay
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

RE: USS Independence Found

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

I like the way the thread evolved into nuclear tests and than into John Wayne's actorship level :) Which I think is ok bw. I liked True Grit a lott and only expandables series are on par for enjoyability with the one he made with Dean Martin and James Caan. His 'ww2' movies suck a bit though.


He was fine in "Midway" though his part was small.

I hope you stay healthy.

Thx and same for you. I want to see my daughter grow up ( as our only child ,she came when when I was 40 ) in way so that we can enjoy it.

As for JW... I actually like every one of his movies but some are more 'dull'. Ps. By "midway" u mean "harm's way" ?
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”