ORIGINAL: rbrunsman
ORIGINAL: Charles_22
I personally find infantry battles far too boring, though if there's at least some armor about it can be interesting. The primary thing that makes infantry often so boring, is that the rifles for example are so often with the exact same rating. Even the LMG's have not that much a difference. The only way it gets juicy is if you have something somewhat odd from the infantry list, such as engineers fighting the regular infantry up close. At least with tanks there's great variety in gun/armor/speed/size. With infantry all the armor is the same (none), the speed is very often the same, the size is often the same, and of course much of the guns are the same in effect, or with little variance.
Charles, I think you're confusing your "favorite" unit with the question at hand, "what is your most
valuable unit?"
As for my "favorite" units I prefer the Germans for the very reason that they had all that varied equipment. I love all the variations of panzers, HTs and ACs. There is so much fun to be had with the German units. But, if you want to talk "most valuable" unit, it has to be skilled infantry. Infantry can do everything for you. All else is in support of the foot soldier.
It's still my story and I'm sticking to it.[:)]
Yes, you're right, favorite is different, though with many users that translates to be the same thing. On the subject of value, just what is the most valuable generally, the one you hide, the front line ones, the counter-attack ones, or the ones that are reserved special domination duty? By special domination, I don't mean what most people would mean by that. IOW, what role does the most dominant unit have. The 88flak for example I'll use in narrow slits of visibility only and I'll never use it with visi. under 15. Instead of using these core pieces (2 per core) as mighty hammers to knock out AFV;s before they can fire back, respecting artillery that's sure to respond, I regulate them to a very secondary role. they oversee a very narrow slit of a weakpoint in the line somewhere, usually overlooking a slit which any hill AFV's cannot watch. this assures that even in the worst
en masse attack that they're facing no more than twice their number in tanks, so that they have usually the amount of targets that they could knock out in one turn at the worst.
That may seem silly, but it preserves those pieces till the campaign advances enough to where they have a much higher experience rating. Consequently that means that I pretty much fight without them. For those times when I see T34's in early '41 or so, then they'll probably be piping ready by then.
I guess that's another quality to consider for value, and that is it's longevity. The 88flak is effective for a very long time, but as valuable as a PZIVF2 may be when they come in, they're a lot more manueverable and therefore almost less 'protected' if anything else. In my mind their being so devastating, particularly when they RULE as in the situation which I use them (little or no chance of even losing a man) and so 'possibly' vulnerable at the same time makes them quite the pet in a way. If half your force are 88's, or KTigers, they tend to lose the value, but just a few in some protective cloak makes them more of a sublime valuable as opposed to just placing them on a hill and trying to devastate with both numbers and power.
So how's this for strange? My most valued unit, is the one which I almost never use. there's not a whole lot of value to be an ordinary fight-in-all-situations unit, sort of, but in being so precious that it's something that when the chips are down and the enemy is starting to think that you're crumbling, oh dear, what was that swoosh?