OT Pet Peeves
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I gotta stop checking this thread or I'll never make that cardiologists appointment.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
I wasn't sure if it would be too hard. Here's a hint: her eternal rival is this 1960 Miss America contestant:
![]()
Ginger and Mary Ann of course!
The Moose
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
I wasn't sure if it would be too hard. Here's a hint: her eternal rival is this 1960 Miss America contestant:
![]()
I'm back. Is this Mary Ann Mobely?
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Bullwinkle got it.
In spite of the offense I may be committing against most forumites (probably), from the evidence presented by these photos, I gotta vote for Ginger over Marianne.
In spite of the offense I may be committing against most forumites (probably), from the evidence presented by these photos, I gotta vote for Ginger over Marianne.
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Christ, I even spelled her name wrong.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
Bullwinkle got it.
In spite of the offense I may be committing against most forumites (probably), from the evidence presented by these photos, I gotta vote for Ginger over Marianne.
Blasphemy!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I guess this qualifies as a pet peeve. A couple of years ago or so I bought some of those light green garden hoses that shrink, PocketHose or some such thing. Worked great for a little while, then sprung leaks. Bought a dark green one sold I think by that actor from "Home Improvement". Much better but recently burst. So I just ordered the XHose (branded DAP but I don't know why they thought they should get in the garden hose business, maybe they heard about spendthrift me) so we'll see how that works.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I was just reading the Consumer Reports article on this and they said they couldn't get any of them to burst except at 200 psi. I just tested the psi here and it was 50. And here in the city it just doesn't fluctuate very much. I originally got 6 of those PocketHoses and I have one left that hasn't burst (yet). They rated it the highest in performance and I can understand why. Until they burst they work real good but after they do you can't repair them. I'm telling you they are just too lightweight. The dark green ones are much more reinforced and robust, but the only one I bought finally blew.
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
Bullwinkle got it.
In spite of the offense I may be committing against most forumites (probably), from the evidence presented by these photos, I gotta vote for Ginger over Marianne.
At the time of her photo Tina had been in the movies and modeling at top agencies for at least 15 years. She had been in Playboy. Dawn was about 17-18 years old, right out of HS. Compare 1968 Dawn with 1968 Tina. Then it's a matter of preference.
The Moose
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I'm going to try and hunt up some video I saw of an older Dawn and show that age doesn't matter, she's always the best. I can't do it right now though.
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I know, I know. I don't want to start a row, like what happens on other threads. As a wise old man once said:


- Attachments
-
- WalderFrey.jpg (249.26 KiB) Viewed 296 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Pet Peeves
I've seen reports that they all fail in time. Every garden hose I ever had failed, but the old style was repairable. However, my property is 200' long and about 50' wide on average. If I want to water everything in the back yard I need 75' minimum. If I want to wash a vehicle in the garage or the alley behind I have to add a 50' hose to a 75' hose. The problem is I'm getting old and rolling up those old fashioned and very heavy hoses and carrying them around makes me consider living in an apartment. These shrink hoses are just great as far as that goes.
- HansBolter
- Posts: 7457
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
- Location: United States
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I'm going to try and hunt up some video I saw of an older Dawn and show that age doesn't matter, she's always the best. I can't do it right now though.
For many years Dawn lived in the Bay Area and performed at a local dinner theater known as the Showboat:

- Attachments
-
- ShowBoat.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Hans
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I'm going to try and hunt up some video I saw of an older Dawn and show that age doesn't matter, she's always the best. I can't do it right now though.
Best is subjective. In terms of "have a beer" Dawn wins hands down. She has always come across as pleasant and happy. Tina L. was very bitter after "GI", feeling it derailed her career. She had a lot of formal acting training with Lee Strasberg (sp?) and thought of herself as more than a sex symbol. I've seen clips of her from some movies in the 1950s and she was fine. No Meryl Streep, but fine in a contract-era kind of way. She was amazingly beautiful though, in an era before implants, aerobics, and personal trainers. The only actress working today who comes close for me is Sarah Rafferty (sp?), who plays Donna the legal secretary on "Suits."

- Attachments
-
- donnapaul..591251.gif (50.1 KiB) Viewed 296 times
The Moose
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I'm going to try and hunt up some video I saw of an older Dawn and show that age doesn't matter, she's always the best. I can't do it right now though.
Best is subjective. In terms of "have a beer" Dawn wins hands down. She has always come across as pleasant and happy. Tina L. was very bitter after "GI", feeling it derailed her career. She had a lot of formal acting training with Lee Strasberg (sp?) and thought of herself as more than a sex symbol. I've seen clips of her from some movies in the 1950s and she was fine. No Meryl Streep, but fine in a contract-era kind of way. She was amazingly beautiful though, in an era before implants, aerobics, and personal trainers. The only actress working today who comes close for me is Sarah Rafferty (sp?), who plays Donna the legal secretary on "Suits."
![]()
I think Rachel McAdams also fits this category

- Attachments
-
- mcadams1a.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 296 times
- bomccarthy
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm
- Location: L.A.
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: OT Pet Peeves
My impression of Rachel McAdams is she's fairly short. Sarah R. is not. Pretty close to six feet. Jessica C. is attractive, but I'm always going to see her in Zero Dark Thirty, wanting to kill people and being wound like a watch spring.
The Moose
RE: OT Pet Peeves
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: bomccarthy
Bullwinkle got it.
In spite of the offense I may be committing against most forumites (probably), from the evidence presented by these photos, I gotta vote for Ginger over Marianne.
At the time of her photo Tina had been in the movies and modeling at top agencies for at least 15 years. She had been in Playboy. Dawn was about 17-18 years old, right out of HS. Compare 1968 Dawn with 1968 Tina. Then it's a matter of preference.
Preference?
I'd prefer Dawn during the week, and Tina on the weekend.
Of course, voicing that opinion in the proximity of one certain Commander-in-Chief of the Home-Front (CINC-Home) could end up with me having two ear-rings that look surprisingly like my former testicles.
Oh well, I can still have a preference even if I am only allowed to share it with you hooligans.
Regards,
Feltan
- pontiouspilot
- Posts: 1131
- Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 pm
RE: OT Pet Peeves
Hey man....if you put that much thought and planning and follow-up into your garden hoses I don't recommend changing vehicles!!
oops...directed to the green lizard not Feltman
oops...directed to the green lizard not Feltman







