Flying Heritage Collection

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Long Lance
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:28 am
Location: Ebbelwoi Country

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Long Lance »

I wonder hwo long it will take until original German markings on historical planes will be forbidden...
 
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Nikademus »

I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
User avatar
Long Lance
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:28 am
Location: Ebbelwoi Country

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Long Lance »

Hopefully...
User avatar
Historiker
Posts: 4742
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Deutschland

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
It's a issue in most of Europe, now. The EU has already or wants to make this a crime in all of its empire.
The Red Star won't be forbidden, though...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
User avatar
Anthropoid
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Secret Underground Lair

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Historiker
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I only think that's an issue in Germany itself. I recall that the German version of Steel Panthers had to replace the swastika flag for victory hexes with an Imperial or Federal Germany flag.
It's a issue in most of Europe, now. The EU has already or wants to make this a crime in all of its empire.
The Red Star won't be forbidden, though...

Not all totalitarianism is created equally I guess?

Great thread Nik. Superb photos.

ADDIT: Wow, those planes are in amazingly good condition! Any idea where they find these babies, and do they have to do a lot of restoration I assume??
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Bf-109E-3 Emil

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid


Not all totalitarianism is created equally I guess?

Great thread Nik. Superb photos.

ADDIT: Wow, those planes are in amazingly good condition! Any idea where they find these babies, and do they have to do a lot of restoration I assume??

Each plane has it's own story. For example the I-16 was found crashed in the wilderness of Siberia IIRC. Yellow 10's story is so long and convoluted that there's an entire book devoted to it in the giftshop. The P-40 is a crashed veteran of lend-lease from the US to the UK to the USSR. The 109 was found with a piece of fuslage poking out of the beach from where it had crashed! Chk out the FHC website for all the histories!
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: d-day flight

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Just FYI, the swastika is only illegal in two or three countries in the EU, Germany and Austria foremost among them.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: d-day flight

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Just FYI, the swastika is only illegal in two or three countries in the EU, Germany and Austria foremost among them.

That would be currently. I'm sure that there are many EU bureaucrats that would very much like to forget the second world war. [8|]
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: d-day flight

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Yeah well, that sort of thing is outside their jurisdiction. I keep telling you, the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent countries, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Howard Mitchell
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:41 am
Location: Blighty

RE: d-day flight

Post by Howard Mitchell »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

... the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent states, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.

Quite right.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
User avatar
Historiker
Posts: 4742
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Deutschland

RE: d-day flight

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: Howard Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Terminus

... the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think. It's a loose conglomerate of independent states, and it will not be one state in the lifetimes of any of the members of this forum.

Quite right.
80% of the German laws are nothing else than following the orders from Bruxelles. These directives aren't created democraticaclly... As well as the European Parliament isn't democratic. One german Member of Parliament represents 830.000 voters, one from Cyprus 83.000 and one from Luxemburg 75.000. If one men's vote counts less than the vote of another, that's racistic, nothing else.
But afaik, it's forbidden to talk about policits here, no?

Moreover, the Svastika is at least forbidden in Germany, Austria, France, Hungaria, Italy... (edit: it was inteded to forbid it in UK, but it didn't succeed because of the Hindus)
But I was wrong, the svastica-ban didn't make it through the EU. I just expected this ban will also make it through the EU...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: d-day flight

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Then why did you start?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Historiker
Posts: 4742
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Deutschland

RE: d-day flight

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Then why did you start?
did I?
Was it wrong or forbidden (apart from being in regard of the content wrong) to say that the red star isn't banned?

Was that the start of the politic discussion or your:
I keep telling you, the EU is not the monolithic superstate that people outside it think
If that's wrong IMO, should I say nothing?

Anyway, I'm sorry if this violates the forum rules...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: d-day flight

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: d-day flight

Post by John Lansford »

Wow, those are awesome photos.  My dad would kill to get to see those planes in person; unfortunately he's in Florida so that would be quite a trip.  He's currently building a 3/4 scale flyable Zero and has so far built the main wing spar and fuselage ribs.  Did I mention he's doing all of this from scratch?
 
He also owns an Aeronca Chief that he flies around in that looks similar to the Storch, minus the machine gun and open view cockpit.  He'd get a real kick out of seeing those planes fly.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: d-day flight

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.

Lake Balaton...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: d-day flight

Post by Nikademus »

Well i figure even Paul Allen's pockets have their limits. Keep in mind that the planes he's already got require lots of maintenance given that they are flown. Thats alot of mulla. I have no problem paying the fee whenever i go up there. Hopefully though, he will get more. His collection is already fantastic for it's variety. It made the Boeing museum almost boring in comparison save for it's Yak-9 and FM-2.

User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: d-day flight

Post by Mynok »


And the DR-I...don't forget the DR-I. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: d-day flight

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I wonder why they do not have an IL-2 being the most built plane of the war and perhaps the most important. They have rasied almost a dozen or so from a lake in Hungary whos name escapes me at the moment (I think it starts with a B). They are late model IL-2s. With that many found you would think they would be able to assemble 1-2 complete aircraft.

Lake Balaton...


You would be correct sir. A large tank battle took place near by and it looks like many Strumoviks had to ditch. I wonder how many other airplanes are down there?
I bet a university could get some good funding to takes some sonar equipped boats and sweep the lake.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: d-day flight

Post by Nikademus »

Maybe Allen can finagle that recovered Finish Brewster back to the States.......that would be cool. [:D]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”