ORIGINAL: fcharton
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Didn't the USA leave a similar number in the PI? And how many did the UK lose at Singapore?
American troops in the Philippines in 1941 were around 30 000, the rest of the 150k+ were local recruits. It makes a huge difference, public opinion wise.
More British troops were captured in Malaya, but at this point, the UK had been in war for 18 months, the war had become global, the Home Islands had been bombed, some territories had been invaded... Quitting was impossible by then.
Dunkirk is different, I believe, because it is at the very beginning of the conflict, at a time when Britain is still intervening abroad.
Francois
I disagree about the "local troops" comment. The USA has never had "colonial armies". All troops are/is/were either USA or National Guard. The Phillipino troop losses were taken very seriously , according to the 100 or so surviors I've interviewed from that campaign , and many other veterans of that time period. I've rarely seen the the description as 30 thousand USA and "130,000 others". And then generally in non-American sources.
And as far as the British losses, Yes Britian had been at war since Sept. 1939...WITH GERMANY. This was a whole new war , with a whole new adversary, when they still were not finished with the 1st.



