**********Briefing Room, Sydney Aerodrome, March 31, 1942***********
<Maj. Schouten surveys the room. It is his first fighter command. Sure, his boys are green, but they are Dutchmen. They will learn. He had 16 brand new CW-21B Demons just arrived in Australia from the Curtiss-Wright plant. Most had no markings yet. That will come, a mere technicality. First, he must polish the pilots to combat readiness>
Maj. Schouten: Right, then. I hope you all found the facilities adequate. Are there any questions?
Lt. Van der Vort: Sir, where is the bomb bay door release on the Hawk? I can't find it.
Maj. Schouten:
<"Good Lord", he thought to himself, "we've work to do."> Lt Van der Vort, is it? I believe you were a bombardier on the Martin, am I right? There is no bomb bay on the Hawk, son. This is a fighter. Anyone else?
F.O. De Jonghe: Sir, I was just wondering if Lt. Doorn could by MY wingman today. My fingers are sore as heck and I am still picking the bugs out of my teeth. I would love to have a go at the cockpit today.
Maj. Schouten:
<his jaw drops momentarily, but he recovers from this reflexive action, "It is important to show confidence", he thinks.......then reality takes over...."dear God what am I going to say to their mothers">
