If it had had the range of a P-51 then the Mustang wouldn't have been needed.
Maybe not, but you'd have had to build fifty more tankers to carry the extra needed avgas over to Europe. Thirsty beasts, they were!
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
If it had had the range of a P-51 then the Mustang wouldn't have been needed.
I googled a little (though not very hard) after I made that post. According to information I found the 109 was probably far and away the most produced fighter with some 36,000 produced. I couldn't find numbers on the P-40. It may all be in how one poses the question. It may be that the P-47 was the most produced fighter flown by US forces, yet the P-40 may have been produced in greater numbers, just that a good many were flown by Commonwealth and Chinese pilots.ORIGINAL: Joe D.
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005I thought the P-40 was the most produced WWII fighter, if one includes are variants, but I could be wrong.ORIGINAL: Joe D.
For the record, the P-47 was produced in greater number (more than 15,000) than any other US fighter...
Actually we may both be right.
Re the Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII, 15,683 Thunderbolts were produced.
At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, the P-40 was the most numerous American fighter.
However, the Encyclopedia discounted RAF Tomahawks! Final count for all Curtis P-40s was 16,802 "including 4,787 built against British contracts."
The Messerschmitt 109 series may have been flown by more (mostly Axis) countries than any other WW II aircraft.

ORIGINAL: Joe D.
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005I thought the P-40 was the most produced WWII fighter, if one includes are variants, but I could be wrong.ORIGINAL: Joe D.
For the record, the P-47 was produced in greater number (more than 15,000) than any other US fighter...
Actually we may both be right.
Re the Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII, 15,683 Thunderbolts were produced.
At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, the P-40 was the most numerous American fighter.
However, the Encyclopedia discounted RAF Tomahawks! Final count for all Curtis P-40s was 16,802 "including 4,787 built against British contracts."
The Messerschmitt 109 series may have been flown by more (mostly Axis) countries than any other WW II aircraft.
ORIGINAL: hawker
Absolutely agree with you Big B.
I must add that both F-86 and MiG-15 was very similar planes. Both are derived from German blueprints[;)].
Even today everything is same. Who build the best fighter jets in a world?
Answer is simple,USA and Russia.
Pick any of their top notch fighters and in any case you will choose correctly.
Ups,i hijacked my own thread,back to topic. I think that we can conclude list of five.
1. Lavochkin La-7 (USSR) and North American P-51 "Mustang" (USA)
2. FW-190
3. Nakajima Ki-84 "Hayate"
4. Yakovlev Yak-3
ORIGINAL: Tiornu
But alas, the jets have been specifically excluded from consideration.
Back to the F8F: was there any opponent superior as a dogfighter to the Bearcat? Is anyone as troubled as I by a Bearcat dogfight? Three animals in one noun phrase...!
ORIGINAL: JeffK
I think that over 24,000 Vickers Supermarine Spitfires were built, maybe a small number of these post war, as for flown by a variety of nations, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark?, France, Belgium, Poland, USA, USSR, India, Sth Africa, Yugoslavia, Italy? plus a myriad of Nations postwar, maybe the Mustang could have been flown by a similar number of Nations.
[/center]ORIGINAL: Joe D.
ORIGINAL: JeffK
I think that over 24,000 Vickers Supermarine Spitfires were built, maybe a small number of these post war, as for flown by a variety of nations, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark?, France, Belgium, Poland, USA, USSR, India, Sth Africa, Yugoslavia, Italy? plus a myriad of Nations postwar, maybe the Mustang could have been flown by a similar number of Nations.
Re my aformentioned source, 20,000 Spitfires (all variants) were made between 1936 and 1948, of which more than 200 still survive and about 50 are airworthy, some operating as flying memorials for the Battle of Britain.
Post war, Burma, Egypt, France, India, Israel and the Netherlands all flew the Spitfire "in anger" during the 50's.
I tallied about one dozen nations that used the 109 -- some in very small numbers -- during WW II, not counting captured 109s by the USSR, France and the UK.
It would be interesting to compare and contrast the careers of the Spitfire and 109, although the latter's was cut short.
ORIGINAL: Ian RORIGINAL: Joe D.
... It would be interesting to compare and contrast the careers of the Spitfire and 109, although the latter's was cut short.
It (both German built and Czech built) was flown post war by at least 4 air forces: Israel, (which also flew Spitfires ...
[/center]
Not to split hairs, but well, here it goes...I agree, but would change the words from significant impact on the wars outcome to flew in significant enough quantity to assess the fighters capability. By that mark the Bearcat and ME 262 might make the grade, but planes like the TA 152 likely would not. They saw significant enough combat to show that they weren't just great on paper, they performed as extremely well. By 1945 nothing was significantly going to change the course of the war.ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
ORIGINAL: Tiornu
But alas, the jets have been specifically excluded from consideration.
Back to the F8F: was there any opponent superior as a dogfighter to the Bearcat? Is anyone as troubled as I by a Bearcat dogfight? Three animals in one noun phrase...!
Numbers. To be considered "the best" fighter of WW II we really ought to stipulate that it was built and used in large enough numbers to have a significant impact on the War's outcome. That puts the Kibosh on many 1945 designs that were still "teething" at war's end.

I must add that both F-86 and MiG-15 was very similar planes. Both are derived from German blueprints
ORIGINAL: Dixie
I believe that Turkey also flew Allied and Axis types post war. (Spitfire and FW190)
[/center]
[/center]bad boyz were the incubators for the allied jets that came on thetail end of the war.