Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by junk2drive »

JD I noticed the change when they added the Sci-Fi games.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
User avatar
Yogi the Great
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Wisconsin

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

JD I noticed the change when they added the Sci-Fi games.

Well, now that you mentioned it. While I have often joked about real "wargamers" instead of fantasy and/or shooter games, there is a big difference in those who play them. Kind of like when I would attend a gaming convention years ago and see the throngs of D & D or other fantasy game enthusiasts campared to the historical wargamers.

No, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those games. The convention was the early years of GenCon. These games deserve admiration and respect for their orginality, and ability to interest many. Maybe like Harry Potter brought many to reading, these games brought many to strategy gaming.

What I am trying to say, perhaps badly, is that different types of games attract varied and different types of players of all levels of maturity and society. Like any other types of groups of people, they don't always mix smoothly. But establishing forums that restrict who is there is difficult and perhaps counter-productive I suppose.

Game companies though have economic reasons for attracting all. Perhaps we wargamers even need them in order for the companies to make more of our less then mass market products for we old dried up grognards.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
User avatar
RangerX3X
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Contact:

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by RangerX3X »

“New breed around” my ass: You gents need to get off of your high horses.

It is this elitist, snobbish, we “oligarchs” are better than you “trailer trash serfs” belief system which seems to permeate this form that turns many away from "your" genre.

You don’t own the forum simply because you post more than others and have been around longer, you don’t have a corner on what is free and acceptable speech, and you certainly do not possess any moral high ground.

Whether someone comes from a Counter Strike background or an Avalon Hill background to a new war game Matrix is offering is completely immaterial: Both of our $69.99 spends the same way. Matrix does not, and should not care. And these buyers will visit the forums.

And as far as this forum – or any – being a family board where one’s wife and daughter can visit without feeling assaulted or violated, well that is simply naïve.
Image
E
Posts: 1247
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:14 am

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

And as far as this forum – or any – being a family board where one’s wife and daughter can visit without feeling assaulted or violated, well that is simply naïve.

No. It was SOP here, until the type of people who would say the above showed up.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
User avatar
RangerX3X
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Contact:

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

And as far as this forum – or any – being a family board where one’s wife and daughter can visit without feeling assaulted or violated, well that is simply naïve.

No. It was SOP here, until the type of people who would say the above showed up.

My $ spends the same as yours. Shame you can't do anything about that, isn't it?
Image
User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by junk2drive »

The shame is you feeling the need to be rude and inappropriate to make a point.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
User avatar
Toby42
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Central Florida

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

The shame is you feeling the need to be rude and inappropriate to make a point.

Plus he has a "Potty" mouth mentality!
Tony
Phatguy
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: Buffalo,ny

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

“New breed around” my ass: You gents need to get off of your high horses.

It is this elitist, snobbish, we “oligarchs” are better than you “trailer trash serfs” belief system which seems to permeate this form that turns many away from "your" genre.

You don’t own the forum simply because you post more than others and have been around longer, you don’t have a corner on what is free and acceptable speech, and you certainly do not possess any moral high ground.

Whether someone comes from a Counter Strike background or an Avalon Hill background to a new war game Matrix is offering is completely immaterial: Both of our $69.99 spends the same way. Matrix does not, and should not care. And these buyers will visit the forums.

And as far as this forum – or any – being a family board where one’s wife and daughter can visit without feeling assaulted or violated, well that is simply naïve.

Why is it naive?
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
User avatar
Toby42
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Central Florida

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Toby42 »

Ranger Dude came on here with an Attitude first. If you have a problem with Matrix take it through channels first. No need to go public unless it can't be resolved. Which with Matrix that would be pretty unlikely. The title of his post is pretty "Sick"!!!
Tony
User avatar
Greybriar
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:54 am

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Greybriar »

[center][/center]
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X



Wow dude, you really have a raging hard-on for me don't you? Just give it up already and chill out yourself.


There is really no need to use a vulgar expression like that.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by warspite1 »

Whilst I personally think the way RangerX3X has decided to vent his feelings on this thread is not ideal, I must say I am really surprised at the comment that the tone and behaviour on these forums has gone downhill because of non-wargamers coming in who may have different levels of maturity etc.

Surely - and this is my experience - wargamers are no different from any other cross section of society. Since I have been a "regular" lurker, gamer and poster here during the last three years I have come across most of the wargame characters that inhabit these forums. And guess what? there are a lot of good guys, people you know you would like if you met them; there are people you respect (if not necessarily agree with) who put their case across in a courteous way. But there are also some (thankfully small number) of frankly downright rude and/or argumentative people and who definitely appear in the wargamer category.

I think its wrong to say that any particular group is necessarily better than others - that is elitest - we should take as we find.

My 2 cents.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by ilovestrategy »

Oh, I could not agree more Warspite. I've gotten flamed and insulted over the years for liking certain wargames, INCLUDING Matrix titles. I've had my intelligence insulted in this forum for liking certain movies. A few years ago someone here insulted me for liking Harry Potter. I had a thread closed about favorite movie scenes because it degenerated into politics.

I stay here because I love the game selection and I can usually get an answer regarding history but this forum also has a regular bunch of elitist snobs that are just as insulting as any Xbox Live first person shooter fan base. The only difference is that profanity isn't allowed here and bigger words are used here.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
Yogi the Great
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Wisconsin

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

The only difference is that profanity isn't allowed here and bigger words are used here.

Well I think the forum and all of you are really supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
User avatar
Yogi the Great
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Wisconsin

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I think its wrong to say that any particular group is necessarily better than others - that is elitest - we should take as we find.

warspite1
Matrix Elite Guard

Ironic isn't it. [;)]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I think its wrong to say that any particular group is necessarily better than others - that is elitest - we should take as we find.

warspite1
Matrix Elite Guard

Ironic isn't it. [;)]
Warspite1

[;)] - Yes you're right, that should be Matrix Elitest Guard [:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Lützow
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Whilst I personally think the way RangerX3X has decided to vent his feelings on this thread is not ideal, I must say I am really surprised at the comment that the tone and behaviour on these forums has gone downhill because of non-wargamers coming in who may have different levels of maturity etc.

Has nothing to do with non-wargamers coming in, but is simply a matter of personality and education. Venting in a rude tone or responding similar when feeling provoked, shows a lack of self-control and is considered as non-professional behaviour. I don't have to agree with somebody in order to deal with him and can express my disaprovement in a rather distinguished way though. Vulgarity, however, always sheds a bad light, regardless if one is right or wrong in his opinion.
mjk428
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:29 am
Location: Western USA

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by mjk428 »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Whilst I personally think the way RangerX3X has decided to vent his feelings on this thread is not ideal, I must say I am really surprised at the comment that the tone and behaviour on these forums has gone downhill because of non-wargamers coming in who may have different levels of maturity etc.

Has nothing to do with non-wargamers coming in, but is simply a matter of personality and education. Venting in a rude tone or responding similar when feeling provoked, shows a lack of self-control and is considered as non-professional behaviour. I don't have to agree with somebody in order to deal with him and can express my disaprovement in a rather distinguished way though. Vulgarity, however, always sheds a bad light, regardless if one is right or wrong in his opinion.

While I agree regarding vulgarity, Ranger has no obligation to behave professionally. He's a customer who had a legit gripe. He's responded courteously to the Matrix reps. He's clearly not going to back down over pot shots from the peanut gallery. It's the self-appointed moderators that have kept this thread boiling.

Frankly, "apathetic lurker" needs to live up to his moniker in this thread for it to drop off the front page.
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

The only difference is that profanity isn't allowed here and bigger words are used here.

Well I think the forum and all of you are really supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!


Curse you! Now I have that song in my head! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
Phatguy
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: Buffalo,ny

RE: Is This Someone's Sick Joke?

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: mjk428

ORIGINAL: Lützow

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Whilst I personally think the way RangerX3X has decided to vent his feelings on this thread is not ideal, I must say I am really surprised at the comment that the tone and behaviour on these forums has gone downhill because of non-wargamers coming in who may have different levels of maturity etc.

Has nothing to do with non-wargamers coming in, but is simply a matter of personality and education. Venting in a rude tone or responding similar when feeling provoked, shows a lack of self-control and is considered as non-professional behaviour. I don't have to agree with somebody in order to deal with him and can express my disaprovement in a rather distinguished way though. Vulgarity, however, always sheds a bad light, regardless if one is right or wrong in his opinion.

While I agree regarding vulgarity, Ranger has no obligation to behave professionally. He's a customer who had a legit gripe. He's responded courteously to the Matrix reps. He's clearly not going to back down over pot shots from the peanut gallery. It's the self-appointed moderators that have kept this thread boiling.

Frankly, "apathetic lurker" needs to live up to his moniker in this thread for it to drop off the front page.

Why? I'm not allowed to show my disapproval? And am I the only one writing in this thread ?
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”