Not so OT: Images from San Diego

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Titanwarrior89
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm
Location: arkansas
Contact:

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Interesting photos.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by AW1Steve »

This is what a SH2 deploying it's MAD looks like. The MAD "bird" is the trailing thing on the wire. In it's store position it's reeled tight against the starboard side.]

Image
Attachments
sprite3.jpg
sprite3.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 471 times
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ugh...midnight insomnia. Well, here's another one for those in the know (I apologize for the glare-there was a plexiglass barrier behind the pilot). What type of aircraft cockpit?

Image

Trick Question. This is no aircraft, it's obviously an Imperial Walker.

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Wolverine paddle CVT. Wolverine and Sable passing each other.
CV(paddle)?
Smart aleck! [&o]



Image
Attachments
Carrierplacard2.jpg
Carrierplacard2.jpg (331.3 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

Alright...

Top to bottom-class names please...

Image
Attachments
carrierplacard3.jpg
carrierplacard3.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.

I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync. [&o]
Image
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.

I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync. [&o]

Not trying to be a pain. It just seems like every single #$^^%%$# rating exam I ever took had questions on the LN-66. I had to study a gadget that I'd never actually seen. It's one of those worthless bits of information you are forced to learn , then spend the rest of your life waiting for a chance to use it. I'M still waiting to use that worthless bit of data that I had to learn in 3rd grade social studies. "Bolivia exports tin". [:(][:D]
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Not trying to be a pain.

Not at all. I appreciate the first hand knowledge that these sorts of pictures bring out...[8D]
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

BUMP! For those of you that are looking at this thread, please note the quiz in post 65 (above). Test your knowledge... [8D]

Image
User avatar
reg113
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:42 pm
Location: MS, USA

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by reg113 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve


When I enterred the USNR/USN in early 1977 all of those things were true. And it was a lot worse. We had what was called a "hollow force". A starvation force would have been more accurate. It was two years after South Vietnam ceased to exist. better than half of our surface ships had served in WW2. The draft had just ended, so there was no compulsion to join the Navy to avoid the Army. Although the economy had tanked, military pay had not been adjusted since Korea (as a E-1 I took home $300.00 a month), and you could make more money on unemployment or welfare. E-5's were leaving to work as store clerks for Sears so they could make more money. And it showed no chance of improvement. Even when ship captains started refusing to put to sea because they just didn't have enough junior non-coms.

Since there was no way to make living standards even as good as federal prisoners, DILLIGAF and BOHEICA became the watch words of the troops. Promotions were frozen horribly for senior NCOs , and wide open for juniors (petty officer 3rd in less than a year. 2nd class in two....because every one was leaving.

Precisely the reason I got out of the Navy in 1976.
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
User avatar
mikkey
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Slovakia

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by mikkey »

nice photos Chickenboy, thanks
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Alright...

Top to bottom-class names please...

Image

It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.
User avatar
Kwik E Mart
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 pm

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: sandman455

And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.

I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.

WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.

Top class (all are same class) is Sangamon Class.

Bottom is Wolverine class.
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

Here's the placard on Sangamon class:



Image
Attachments
Sangamonc..placard.jpg
Sangamonc..placard.jpg (344.88 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

Tonight's quiz:

Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:



Image
Attachments
August15..classes.jpg
August15..classes.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

Nice model of the Gambier Bay (Casablanca class): 1 of 3 images



Image
Attachments
Gambierbay1of3.jpg
Gambierbay1of3.jpg (220.41 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

2 of 3:



Image
Attachments
Gambierbay2of3.jpg
Gambierbay2of3.jpg (459.09 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by Chickenboy »

Gambier Bay-3 of 3:



Image
Attachments
Gambierbay3of3.jpg
Gambierbay3of3.jpg (353.17 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Image
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: sandman455

And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.

I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.

WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]

THAT is definately NOT the way I took it. If he comes back and says it is , then I will humbly apologize and fall on my sword. Try re-reading it again. "Either you are on the flight schedual or you are not". That doesn't sound like he's being sympathetic to me. What he's saying is my story is BS. And I don't particularly appreciate being called a liar. [:@]
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”