Running WitP as a Window

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
DSwain
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Running WitP as a Window

Post by DSwain »

Hi

I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
Image
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: DSwain

Hi

I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers
Yes, someone just posted the proceedure a couple of days ago. You need to enter the Windows mode switch to the WitP executable via the properties dialogue. YOu can probably find the previous Thread somewhere. I don't recall the exact proceedure.

Having tried it I went back to the standard setting. Running in windows mode I had way too much graphics corruption. It's easier just to alt-tab back and forth.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
DSwain
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: United Kingdom

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by DSwain »

many thanks for the tip
Image
Akos Gergely
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:22 pm
Location: Hungary, Bp.
Contact:

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by Akos Gergely »

Click the properties of the start icon for your Witp and select the Target field and just type  " -w" after the full path and press OK (note that there shoud be a space then the two characters). Thats all. 
User avatar
DSwain
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: United Kingdom

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by DSwain »

cheers
Image
veji1
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by veji1 »

The target field in the executable is greyed out, ie, I can't access it and type the -w thing, while I can do it on a shortcut but it doesn't work...

Any idea ?
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by dtravel »

Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.
 
If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly. 
 
The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program.  That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
1EyedJacks
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:26 am
Location: Reno, NV

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: DSwain

Hi

I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers

Virtual PC is now a free download - this might do the trick for you but you'll need a lot of memory...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

TTFN,

Mike
User avatar
MarcA
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:04 pm
Location: England

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by MarcA »

ORIGINAL: DSwain

I want to run WitP ina window so I can have Word/Notepad open for writing up plans, strategies etc and checking my notes between turns. Any easy way of doing this? Hving some problems right now
cheers

I do the same thing but instead of running in windows mode I just alt-tab between word, excel and witp. The is a probelm with screen refreshing when switching back to witp but by choosing another acreen, i.e. alt-a for the full map, it corrects itself.
Image
veji1
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by veji1 »

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.

If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.

The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.

So I delete the shortcut I have on my desktop, create a new one from the executable, on my desktop, and then do the properties mod... Did I get it right ? I'll try that tonight...

Thanks.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: veji1
ORIGINAL: dtravel

Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.

If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly.

The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program. That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.

So I delete the shortcut I have on my desktop, create a new one from the executable, on my desktop, and then do the properties mod... Did I get it right ? I'll try that tonight...

Thanks.
Deleting the old shortcut isn't a requirement, just something that most of us "old-timers" do.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
TOMLABEL
Posts: 4473
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Alabama - ROLL TIDE!!!!!

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties", change the Target field to: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe -w" with the quotes.

If you installed the game to a different directory, then change the directory above accordingly. 

The -w does NOT work when applied to the default shortcut that is created by the installation program.  That shortcut starts a different, "launcher" program, not the actual game executable which is what the -w parameter must be applied to.


Just an FYI. I tried this last night, but could not get it to work. I then copied the War in the Pacific file as a shortcut to the desktop. I then edited the target field, BUT put the -w AFTER the quotes. "C:Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\War in the Pacific.exe" -w.

That's what finally worked for me.

TOMLABEL
Image
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by dtravel »

I will try to remember that.  But since I don't play in windowed mode I probably won't. [;)]
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Hartley
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:21 pm

RE: Running WitP as a Window

Post by Hartley »

Running in windows mode I had way too much graphics corruption.

Mouse scrolling is also a problem.

Too bad, since my LCD does not interpolate 1024x768 too well.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”