Who is the best WiTP player?
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
-
Jagdfluger
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:52 pm
Who is the best WiTP player?
I am trying to find out who everything thinks is the best player out there.
I put this thread here because I hope to challenge whoever emerges as the consensus favorite. I am 13-1 in e-mail games, losing only my first game as the Allies. I play more as the Japanese than the Allies, but I am willing to play either side with almost any house rules. I prefer CHS extended, but will defer to my opponent.
Thanks for your responses...
I put this thread here because I hope to challenge whoever emerges as the consensus favorite. I am 13-1 in e-mail games, losing only my first game as the Allies. I play more as the Japanese than the Allies, but I am willing to play either side with almost any house rules. I prefer CHS extended, but will defer to my opponent.
Thanks for your responses...
Jim
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
For your score of 13-1 there are many variables, as to why the games ended and what you consider a victory. It would be very hard to play that many to completion and thus what constitutes a victory? A classic example would be PZB's AAR which the first few opponents were soundly thrashed, and anyone quiting in that time frame would have declared the Japanese the victor, on the other hand with time and Andy Mac the worm has turned and victory is back up in the air. Both mentioned players are highly skilled and know the race is a long one. There are also many players that play in the background and are not noticed by most of the board, thus unknown as to their skill level.
My point is there are very many quaility players and it is hard to asses the skill level. I currently have 2 PBEM's going, and have had 2 players quit on me, Should I declare those two victories, probably not, the time spent playing them brought some enjoyment, but the lost hours could have been better spent with a longer term player. Thus find someone who will fight the long fight not the quick and dirty.
My point is there are very many quaility players and it is hard to asses the skill level. I currently have 2 PBEM's going, and have had 2 players quit on me, Should I declare those two victories, probably not, the time spent playing them brought some enjoyment, but the lost hours could have been better spent with a longer term player. Thus find someone who will fight the long fight not the quick and dirty.
Showa rules!
-
Jagdfluger
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:52 pm
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
You are right. My longest game was until late June 1942 playing as the Japanese with Kergulen almost two years ago (he is the one that beat me when I played as the Allies). All others have surrendered before that time. I would love to play a long game into 1943 or beyond. The past 4 or 5 of my games as Japan I have included a provision that autovictory would not count and I would play on, but no takers so far.
Jim
- Captain Cruft
- Posts: 3752
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 pm
- Location: England
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
Hi Jagd.
I am probably not the best player, but I do understand how the game works and will not quit.
If you would like a game please send me a PM. The only condition would be that Andrew Brown's map is used. It can be a stock scenario or CHS. I have version 1.804.
Cruft
I am probably not the best player, but I do understand how the game works and will not quit.
If you would like a game please send me a PM. The only condition would be that Andrew Brown's map is used. It can be a stock scenario or CHS. I have version 1.804.
Cruft
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
13-1? *sniff* [8|]
Knock up 20 "victories" and then drop me a line so I can "educate" you [:D]
On a more realistic note, I'd love to challenge you to a stock scn 15, but I've got far too many games going at the moment to do so. Will need to polish off a few opponents before I can go hunting for new scalps.
Nice to hear someone who is a competant player actually lost as the allies! Gives me a bit more faith in the game [8D]
Knock up 20 "victories" and then drop me a line so I can "educate" you [:D]
On a more realistic note, I'd love to challenge you to a stock scn 15, but I've got far too many games going at the moment to do so. Will need to polish off a few opponents before I can go hunting for new scalps.
Nice to hear someone who is a competant player actually lost as the allies! Gives me a bit more faith in the game [8D]
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?



- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.
Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]
Quote from Snigbert -
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.
Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]
Bwahahaha. Oh, that's rich. I just lost Singapore before the end of Januray [:)]

RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.
Not me! I just looked to see if you were mentioned.[:D]
Bwahahaha. Oh, that's rich. I just lost Singapore before the end of Januray [:)]
Ooooh I need you as an opponent!
Quote from Snigbert -
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
-
GaryChildress
- Posts: 6933
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
- Location: The Divided Nations of Earth
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
I recommend VSWG for CHS. As Allies he sports a tenacious defense of DEI and has anticipated most of my moves so far. Between 4Es, MTBs and mines he'll give you headaches.
Of course there's the possibility that I just suck. [:D]
Of course there's the possibility that I just suck. [:D]
-
GaryChildress
- Posts: 6933
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
- Location: The Divided Nations of Earth
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
OK..who looked at this thread to see if anyone mentioned them? Come on, fess up.
OK, I did. [:D]
-
Jagdfluger
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:52 pm
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
My loss as the Allies came after I did a War Plan Orange type move with the un-attacked Pacific Fleet battleships from Pearl. I sent 2 TFs with 4 BBs each to Truk to pre-empt a gathering force readying for an invasion of Rabaul.
Unfortunately, the bulk of the Japanese battleship fleet was guarding the port, plus plenty of cruisers and detroyers sporting Long Lance torps.
I timed my appraoch wrong and attacked at night.
So, major damage to the US fleet and Bettys and Nells finished all by 1 BB off.
After that, I lost my carriers defending Efate/Luganville and an easy autovictory was a certainty for Kerugulen.
Unfortunately, the bulk of the Japanese battleship fleet was guarding the port, plus plenty of cruisers and detroyers sporting Long Lance torps.
I timed my appraoch wrong and attacked at night.
So, major damage to the US fleet and Bettys and Nells finished all by 1 BB off.
After that, I lost my carriers defending Efate/Luganville and an easy autovictory was a certainty for Kerugulen.
Jim
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him. He does nothing silly.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
- Przemcio231
- Posts: 1901
- Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:39 am
- Location: Warsaw,Poland,EU:)
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
Well it depends what do you mean by Good Player[;)] the one who is a good tactican or the one who knows how to exploit game weakness[;)]

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
Enforcer
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Mogami
HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him. He does nothing silly.
Then why play him???
[:D][:D]
Quote from Snigbert -
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
-
Mike Scholl
- Posts: 6187
- Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
- Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Of course there's the possibility that I just suck. [:D]
It takes a BIG MAN to admit the possibility that we all fear deap down..., that someone else has figured out how this darned code works while we're still trying.
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
How do you rate on the silliness scale Sonny?
ORIGINAL: Sonny
ORIGINAL: Mogami
HI Kerugulen is a good player. I am about to enter 1944 in game as Japan against him. He does nothing silly.
Then why play him???
[:D][:D]
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
- castor troy
- Posts: 14331
- Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
- Location: Austria
RE: Who is the best WiTP player?
ORIGINAL: Jagdfluger
You are right. My longest game was until late June 1942 playing as the Japanese with Kergulen almost two years ago (he is the one that beat me when I played as the Allies). All others have surrendered before that time. I would love to play a long game into 1943 or beyond. The past 4 or 5 of my games as Japan I have included a provision that autovictory would not count and I would play on, but no takers so far.
June ´42? [8D] As the lenght of your PBEMs probably doesn´t say much about your skill, but June ´42 is still funny for me. I´ve got 2 PBEMs in late 43, one in 11/42 and two in mid 42.






