Stupid question on LCU's

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Post Reply
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Stupid question on LCU's

Post by Supervisor »

Is there a way to recombine LCU's that have divided? (besides using the editor)

Sorry if this is on the manual, I can't find it.

If they cannot be split will the unit which retains the same name grow back to original strength or am I forever stuck with two smaller units?

Thanks.
KL
Major Tom
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Post by Major Tom »

Supposedly, all you have to do is to activate these units at the same base, but, it doesn't always work. A more guaranteed solution, is, to load the two units on to one Transport TF (2 separate AP ship groups within 1 TF) and then unload the units. They should recombine.
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

After advancing a few turns it does appear the parent unit , the 1st MAR DIV, is growing back to its full strength prior to the division.. so I have gained a unit and 1st MAR will be as strong as it was.... in that case dividing several units early on looks like a good thing to do. More troops..

-KL
Sapphire
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Sapphire »

Well, yes and no...

When the parent unit grows back to full strength it takes in lots of new recruits, and the experience loss can be severe. I usually try very hard to avoid this happening because the high experience units are so much more effective.

On the other hand splitting up engineers can be very effective. I regard this as a way of implementing the decision to increase the number of engineers at the expense of (replacements for) combat units.
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

Interesing update...

after several failed attmepts to get the 1st Marine Div and its divided offspring to recombine I gave up. Many turns later they both went on to the same island and into combat. Lo and Behold they recombined! And since the parent unit had grown back to full strength the recombined unit is now bigger than the 1st Marine Div would normally be, at 2240. I recall it never being morew than what.. 1600 before? I can't remember.

Cheers,
KL
Dean Robb
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Va Beach, VA USA

Post by Dean Robb »

Originally posted by kludingt:
combat. Lo and Behold they recombined! And since the parent unit had grown back to full strength the recombined unit is now bigger than the 1st Marine Div would normally be, at 2240. I recall it never being morew than what.. 1600 before? I can't remember.
I *think* that once the children units or the parent units grow to "normal" strength, they won't recombine. But if they should be in the same hex and combat losses drop the parent below "normal" then they'll add the children. But it doesn't seem to be a hard-and-fast thing.

I'll often divide a moderately experienced unit into chunks to garrison several bases. I've discovered that the 2.1 AI is not adverse to a bit of island (or base) hopping itself. Since the children units of Divisions (not, I've found, BDEs or RGTs) will grow to a pretty healthy size themselves, this can put a fairly decent garrison in place without a strain on transport.

However, I've discovered that engineer units won't grow back to full strength after being divided. This used to be a good way to get "free" engineers...now it's not such a great idea.


Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5083
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Originally posted by kludingt:
Is there a way to recombine LCU's that have divided? (besides using the editor)
KL
How does the recombination via editor work? Just transfer squads and equipment to the parent unit and delete the detachment? Or is there another way?
And is there a way to create divided units with the editor which will eventually recombine? I'm creating my own OBC and want to split the 1st Marine Defence Bn according to its historical detachments on Wake and other islands. I saw this done in Mr. Hansen's OBC, but the subunits never recombined in my games.

Kludingt, I saw several times that split-up Brigades recombined to bring the Division up to 255 squads, but that seems to be the absolute maximum for overstrength units. Normal strength is 240 squads. Haven't reached the limit for arty and afv's yet, but these monster Divisions then need lots of AP's, too.

Ah yes, why do units split 50:50? Weren't most units organized 'triangular', i.e. three Inf-Rgt per Division and three Bn per Rgt? Of course, abstract land combat in PW... Hope WitP takes care of this.

Rich Dionne
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:00 am
Contact:

Post by Rich Dionne »

Regarding how to create subordinate units with the editor,

If you use my editor, creating a subordinate unit is very similar to creating a regular unit with the following differences:

1) Don't give the unit a name (column B), it will be automatically named based on the type of unit you select (e.g. 4=brigade, 5=regiment) and the name of the parent unit.

2) Fill in the parent unit info in the editor, P1 and P2 (column G and H). These values combine to give the parent unit number as follows:

P1 + 256 * P2 = Parent Unit

So for Parent Unit = 11 choose P1 = 11, P2 = 0. For Parent Unit = 266 choose P1 = 10, P2 = 1 (10 + 256 * 1 = 266).

3) Fill in the subordinate unit number (column I). For example a subordinate unit of type 4 with unit number 2 and parent unit 4th Inf will be named "4th Inf 2nd Brigade".

Units created with the editor this way should recombine. To delete a subordinate unit with the editor, simply zero out the subordinate unit row, and add squads, etc. back into the parent unit.

Maximum squad size is 255 (one byte). The same should apply to artillery and armor.

Regards,

Rich

User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5083
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try ASAP.

Merry Xmas,
LST
Post Reply

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”