Screenshots

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

Here are some samples of the mapping of the Ardennes battlefield. Graphics are beta and do not necessarily represent the final product.

Image
Attachments
Clerf.jpg
Clerf.jpg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
simovitch

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

more:

Image
Attachments
hofen.jpg
hofen.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
simovitch

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

and more

Image
Attachments
losheimgap.jpg
losheimgap.jpg (150.12 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
simovitch

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

more still

Image
Attachments
Diekirch.jpg
Diekirch.jpg (175.66 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
simovitch

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

and more

Image
Attachments
Rocherath.jpg
Rocherath.jpg (178.42 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
simovitch

User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

and more

Image
Attachments
StVith.jpg
StVith.jpg (182.26 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
simovitch

Banquet
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: England

RE: Screenshots

Post by Banquet »

Looks great simovitch. The maps look lovely!

Is the same colour set as COTA being used? There seems to be some more green.. but the hills look a bit deserty.
User avatar
Bil H
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:03 am
Location: Fredericksburg Virginia
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by Bil H »

Banquet, those are old graphics.  I have only just started to work on the BFTB graphics, rest assured they will be theater specific, just like COTAs were.

Bil
Ah, well, since you do not wish death, then how about a rubber chicken?

Sam the Eagle

My Combat Mission Blog:
https://battledrill.blogspot.com/
Banquet
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: England

RE: Screenshots

Post by Banquet »

Sounds good Bil.

Slightly OT (but I'll take any chance I can get to ask about map making at the moment! [:)]) What is the perceived wisdom of drawing tracks and roads over towns and villages? I have checked some of the COTA maps and it seems some do and some don't. I would have thought that highways and maybe roads could be drawn over built up area's, but minor roads and tracks, to my mind, would be encompassed by what would be in the town anyway (I.e, a town has roads)



User avatar
Arjuna
Posts: 17768
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by Arjuna »

Banquet,
 
I agree with you on the issue of roads in towns and tend to avoid overlaying a town with a great spagetti bowl of roads. What's more you need to remember that the presence of a road on a 100m movement and terrain grid has the effect of negating the urban terrain under it, so it's best to use them sparingly. Avoid having multiple roads side by side, effectively making a giant football field.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

Dave,

I'll clean up the towns that have more than primary roads going through. More than the other mapmakers, I tended to put more roads in the towns than were probably necessary (like St. Vith).
simovitch

User avatar
Fred98
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Wollondilly, Sydney

RE: Screenshots

Post by Fred98 »

Its nice to see some work coming along.
 
I notice the difference in the colours is quite subtle.  As a result it is hard to see the change in countours.
 
 
User avatar
Arjuna
Posts: 17768
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by Arjuna »

Yes I agree Joe, we need more contrast between the hight layers. We'll get to this soon.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Screenshots

Post by Adam Parker »

I see differences in maps alternatively with browns and greens on them - does this simulate mud scenarios? Well done if so.
 
Also are you planning an opaque white snow overlay?
User avatar
Arjuna
Posts: 17768
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by Arjuna »

Adam,
 
If we get time we are going to try to change the map patterns as the ground condition changes. So then we can have a different look for clear, mud, snow and ice. The usual caveat applies though, so don't hold me to it.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Screenshots

Post by Adam Parker »

Ah let the grognards worry about it. I know they will [:D]
 
I remember when I saw my first copy of Bulge '81 - it had the coolest graphics I'd ever seen up till then, with a white map!
 
It was the first war game I ever lay-byed. I still love it.
User avatar
CriticalMass
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:37 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by CriticalMass »

IIRC, didn't Fire Brigade have a map that showed the changing environmental conditions?
I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Screenshots

Post by Adam Parker »

Quite a few games do too - beginning with the old AH/Atomic Stalingrad game IIRC.
 
Dave, your maps are vectors aren't they? I really applaud this if so.
User avatar
Arjuna
Posts: 17768
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

RE: Screenshots

Post by Arjuna »

Yes they are vectors.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Screenshots

Post by simovitch »

I'll try to get some action shots posted over the next few weeks. Here's one where the AI played both sides of the "Schnee Eifel" scenario using the playtest debug tools.

I was pleased to see the German pincer attack by the 18th VG effectively bottle up the 2 regiments of the 106th by the night of the second day:


Image
Attachments
bottledup.jpg
bottledup.jpg (191.56 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
simovitch

Post Reply

Return to “Command Ops Series”