OT: WWII Operation Games?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Like the rest of us, I am waiting for WitP:AE. To fill the gap between now and when it releases, I am trying out some new games. Between the CF beta, my sole WitP PBEM and JT:CS PBEM (which I am really enjoying), I feel like the last type of game I really lack is a good operation game.

What is your favorite computer based WWII operation game?

To be more specific on what I am looking for, I love detail. The amount of detail in WitP is why I love it so much. I love being able to micro-manage everything. The more detail in a game, the better. So for my second question,

Relative to WitP, how much detail/depth/information is there in the game?

I am not limiting myself to the great games at Matrix, but am looking for games that are still for sale whether by download or by mail.

Thanks in advance

Chad
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi Chad,
 
As per my mail I really enjoy Steel Panthers. Now this is detailed tactical level stuff. Where the shell hits the tank and at what angle/side etc affects what damage it will do to it etc. Your men gain experience through the battles and such they'll shoot better in later missions.
 
Is something like Steel Panthers - detailed tactical level - land based - all theatres - interesting? If so I can provide more info.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks Speedy. As I mentioned in my email turn reply, I have played Steel Panthers but never against a human opponent. I feel like I have the tactical end of gaming covered with JT:CS (I would consider it a tactical game) and Combat Mission.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Speedysteve »

I don't know of other detailed WW2 games. I like TOAW and even HOI2 a little bit but neither of them are as detailed as WiTP or something like SP [:)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Jones944
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Jones944 »

The Operational Art of War is probably the greatest operational game out there, isn't it? I've only played it minimally, but there is a great AAR on-going at the Paradox Interactive forums. Here's the link.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... p?t=337437
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Speedysteve »

I agree a VERY good game. But not as detailed as WiTP or SP for example.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Jones944

The Operational Art of War is probably the greatest operational game out there, isn't it? I've only played it minimally, but there is a great AAR on-going at the Paradox Interactive forums. Here's the link.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... p?t=337437

Thats the one I had my eye on, but was not sold on it yet. Have been reading some of the AAR's on these forums for it and I am having a hard time telling how detailed it is.

Any WitP players have experience with TOAW?
Richrd
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:14 am

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Richrd »

I do and I emphatically recommend it.
Richrd
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25456
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

Any WitP players have experience with TOAW?

Oleg (he posts here quite often) and I played it a lot over the years (we have "Century of Warefare - TOAW")...


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

Any WitP players have experience with TOAW?

Oleg (he posts here quite often) and I played it a lot over the years (we have "Century of Warefare - TOAW")...


Leo "Apollo11"

Looks like quite a few of us WitP players have it then. So Ill shoot some questions off about TOAW:

1. I know that the scale of units is variable down to the company level, but what is the attrition rate? Is it specific (x squads are in the unit, and x squads were destroyed last turn), or is it generic (this unit has x assault points, and after taking loses, it now has y assault points)? A simpler way to ask is simply, does each unit have a TO&E?

2. Are units named specifically (4th US Armored Division) or generically (1944 US Armored Division)?

3. How does chain of command work? Do units have a parent HQ? Does the game reward/penalize you for being close/far away from the parent HQ? Can you change the parent HQ of a unit?

4. How does the game represent replacements? Is it automatic or can the player define where they go? Obviously this would be dependent on scenario, but do you generally recieve a steady flow of replacements?

5. Does the game model unit experience and morale?

6. And lastly, how does the game play within a turn? Do you make your moves for all your units and then watch the results (like Combat Mission), or do you make one move at a time, watch the results, and then continue with other units?

I know I should probably post this in the TOAW forum, but I am interested in getting WitP players opinions on the game.

Thanks in advance

Chad
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25456
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
ORIGINAL: Apollo11
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

Any WitP players have experience with TOAW?

Oleg (he posts here quite often) and I played it a lot over the years (we have "Century of Warefare - TOAW")...

Looks like quite a few of us WitP players have it then. So Ill shoot some questions off about TOAW:

1. I know that the scale of units is variable down to the company level, but what is the attrition rate? Is it specific (x squads are in the unit, and x squads were destroyed last turn), or is it generic (this unit has x assault points, and after taking loses, it now has y assault points)? A simpler way to ask is simply, does each unit have a TO&E?

2. Are units named specifically (4th US Armored Division) or generically (1944 US Armored Division)?

3. How does chain of command work? Do units have a parent HQ? Does the game reward/penalize you for being close/far away from the parent HQ? Can you change the parent HQ of a unit?

4. How does the game represent replacements? Is it automatic or can the player define where they go? Obviously this would be dependent on scenario, but do you generally recieve a steady flow of replacements?

5. Does the game model unit experience and morale?

6. And lastly, how does the game play within a turn? Do you make your moves for all your units and then watch the results (like Combat Mission), or do you make one move at a time, watch the results, and then continue with other units?

I know I should probably post this in the TOAW forum, but I am interested in getting WitP players opinions on the game.

Thanks in advance

Chad

Unfortunately I haven't touched it in years (5+ at least) so my answers would be inaccurate, obsolete and/or connected to verion that no longer exists... sorry...

IMHO the best thing you can do is ask these questions in Matrix TOAW forum (Matrix bought old game and made it work in cunnert OS and on current PC's)!


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
Saso
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: Italy

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Saso »

What is your favorite computer based WWII operation game?
I think TOAW but I don't have played all the games.
Relative to WitP, how much detail/depth/information is there in the game?
A lot, but it is variable (the scenarios are different).
I agree a VERY good game. But not as detailed as WiTP or SP for example.

It depends, for the land combat is better of WitP.
Looks like quite a few of us WitP players have it then. So Ill shoot some questions off about TOAW:

I try to answer you but I'm not an experienced player and I don't more play it because I'm totally absorbed with WitP [:(]

1. The scale of units arrives until platoon level. It's specific for squads, vehicles, guns and armaments. Each unit has own TO&E and it depends on scenario designer. E.g. if you move a unit through the map it'll lose cohesion and combat ability until you'll rest it.

2. Yes, usually the units are named specifically. Moreover they have an OOB more detailed that WitP but it depends the scenario that you are playing (game scale).

3. You have a HQ but you can't change it, it provides bonus for the supply phase, reinforcement and so on. Also it supports the units during the combat.

4. Yes, you receive a steady flow of replacements but you can't to assigne a specific unit. This flow can shift if determinate events trigger on scenario. Sometimes you can't receive specific reinforcements, therefore is you lost them you can't replace them.

5. Yes.

6. No, it's a IGOUGO system, before move a player and then move the other player, therefore there is a difference on game's style for each player.
I know I should probably post this in the TOAW forum, but I am interested in getting WitP players opinions on the game.

It's a beautiful game with different difficulty, there are easy scenarios and there are very complex "monster" scenarios with over 1000 units for each side.
The air/naval warfare isn't very detailed, but if you want to play a funny and complicated scenario about Russia (e.g. Barbarossa) I definitely recommend it.
The AI is fine but depend as the scenario is modelled, not all scenarios are playable against AI.
Image
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by cantona2 »

Go for TOAw...end of thread :)
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks for the replies everyone, and for the answers Saso. I didnt realise so many of 'us' play it. Gosh, I feel like I am missing out on something now [:D]
 
One last question:
 
7. Is there an OOB list where you can see all of your units? That was a complaint against the earlier versions of the game.
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by cantona2 »

Yes
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

User avatar
Saso
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: Italy

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Saso »

Yes, if you open the editor and then load the chosen scenario, you can to see everything.
Image
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by cantona2 »

Saso you can also do it from ingame by clicking on the OOB button in the options drop down menu i think, not played for a couple of weeks but im sure its in one of the menus. While we're at it anyone fancy a game of TOAW?
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

User avatar
Chad Harrison
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Boise, ID - USA

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Saso you can also do it from ingame by clicking on the OOB button in the options drop down menu i think, not played for a couple of weeks but im sure its in one of the menus. While we're at it anyone fancy a game of TOAW?

Little things like that may seem silly to some people, but having an ingame OOB is a selling point for me.

Thanks again for all the info. Looks like I have no other choice than to try out TOAW [:D]
User avatar
Saso
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: Italy

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Saso »

Saso you can also do it from ingame by clicking on the OOB button in the options drop down menu i think, not played for a couple of weeks but im sure its in one of the menus.

Yes, I thought that he meant "all", not only units.
While we're at it anyone fancy a game of TOAW?
Uhm...an easy and not long scenario? [8|]
Image
User avatar
Saso
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: Italy

RE: OT: WWII Operation Games?

Post by Saso »

Little things like that may seem silly to some people,

You don't have seen my questions about WitP [;)]
Thanks again for all the info. Looks like I have no other choice than to try out TOAW
Yes [:)]
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”