Modding UV

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
JeffroK
Posts: 6435
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:05 am

Modding UV

Post by JeffroK »

Gday all,

Just picked up UV to while away the days until AE is out.

I have found it to be very interesting and different enough from WITP to have a go at. I especially like the lower level ground OOB.

Are there any Mods/Scenarios out there beyond what arrives in the Game?? This really needs a new map of the WITP AB stanard (Especially to get rid of the freeway between Pt MOresby & Wau/Buluo)

When editing, can I edit the aircraft types, I can see a table of aircraft in the Air Units tab but no ay to edit their stats. Am I expecting too much??
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
User avatar
tocaff
Posts: 4765
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: USA now in Brasil

RE: Modding UV

Post by tocaff »

The editor is lacking compared to the one in WITP.

Maps, mods, info etc. for both UV & WITP are available at the following site:

http://mathubert.free.fr/


Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
User avatar
HansBolter
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: United States

RE: Modding UV

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Gday all,

Just picked up UV to while away the days until AE is out.

I have found it to be very interesting and different enough from WITP to have a go at. I especially like the lower level ground OOB.

Are there any Mods/Scenarios out there beyond what arrives in the Game?? This really needs a new map of the WITP AB stanard (Especially to get rid of the freeway between Pt MOresby & Wau/Buluo)

When editing, can I edit the aircraft types, I can see a table of aircraft in the Air Units tab but no ay to edit their stats. Am I expecting too much??


Don't be fooled by the trail leading to Wau. It is by no means a freeway. I believe trrops move along trails at something like 2 miles per day. With 30 mile hexes that means it takes two weeks to travel one hex. As a UV newbie, before I knew any better I marched a large force up that trail and discovered that there wasn't enough shipping on the planet to keep PM supplied with the amount being drawn up that trail and lost to jungle attrition.
Hans

fuelli
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:24 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Modding UV

Post by fuelli »

Actually they move 4 miles a day.
User avatar
tocaff
Posts: 4765
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: USA now in Brasil

RE: Modding UV

Post by tocaff »

You can supply a force moving on that trail from the stocks of supplies at Lae or PM, though it is a drain.  Air supply to augment it is an option if you hold Wau. and are moving, assuming the Allies, on Lae.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
timetraveller
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 9:38 pm

RE: Modding UV

Post by timetraveller »

Picked up this game last week from DigitalRiver myself. Was hoping it had some pretty good modding ability as I have modded a lot of games over the last few years, and written lots of software too. Modding seems sparse in this game unless you want to mod graphics, which are all open and in .bmp format. Sounds are in .wav file format, easily modded. Would love to know the breakdown of the uv.prfs file.

Haven't fooled with the editor yet, though it looks as if you can create scenarios in sort of a table-driven windowed format. I don't think it's possible to add new maps even by hacking the game, though the regulars on here might have more info on that. I haven't seen any new game maps covering new territory.

UV seems more to my liking than WITP would be. Less tedious, as I don't have the time (or the $80) to invest in WITP, though it surely looks interesting.

Bill
User avatar
JeffroK
Posts: 6435
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:05 am

RE: Modding UV

Post by JeffroK »

Re "The Wau Expressway"

Any trail to Wau/Bululo is totally incorrect. The fact that supplies will trickle up the track means the Allies do not have to commit C47/Dakota's to resupply the base.

In real life, to get to Wau meant a coastal ship trip to a river mouth, a canoe (maybe motorised) up the river then by foot into the goldfields.

Wau is (and IRL was) a backdoor into Lae, but in no way was it an option as a backdoor to PM.

MODDING.

I tried Spooky's and didnt see anything, I'll put my glasses on and look again. (edit: Thanks tocaff, I just had to hit another button. Do these new scenarios work with the latest patch??)

Modding aircraft, I suppose that if I cant mod the base aircraft I can change each Sqn in the Air Units tab?

timetraveller, dont give up on WITP, with its current mods it is a great game and once the new "mod" AE is available i think it will be even better. Enjoy UV, its a good little game and might pique your interest in the larger versions.

PS Turn off "React to enemy Task Forces" for your Carriers, being used to a 1-2 hex move in WITP, I found my single IJN carrier reacting 8-10 hexes into the arms of 2 USN CV's.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
User avatar
HansBolter
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: United States

RE: Modding UV

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

PS Turn off "React to enemy Task Forces" for your Carriers, being used to a 1-2 hex move in WITP, I found my single IJN carrier reacting 8-10 hexes into the arms of 2 USN CV's.

Even set to "do not react" they will STILL react a distance of one hex toward the enemy carriers if within certain ranges.

The accepted gamey convention for avoiding this is to set them to follow a surface task force that is set to "do not react".
Hans

User avatar
tocaff
Posts: 4765
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: USA now in Brasil

RE: Modding UV

Post by tocaff »

Don't forget not to place wild men in command of the CVTFs, cautious & careful tend to limit the running off to glory in Davey Jones' Locker.........
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”