CHS Preliminary Questions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

Hi-Now that I've overcome my stupidity(thanks to all of you) re CHS, I'm ready to play. Have some prelim. questions.
1. Is this the right pew? If not, please give me a link.
2. Re Aden & Panama. In this game, is it necessary to keep large air,ground & naval forces for each? It looks like Panama has lots of air & ground units I could use elsewhere.
3. Re LCU loading onto ships. Does loading work like vanilla WITP? Example: say I have a LCU with an 8090 AP load cost. If I have one AP with a capacity of 6000, can I subtract the 6K from 8090=2090 and multiply by 5=10450 load points of AKs to complete loading unit?

I know there will be lots more ??s later. Thanks, Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
User avatar
VSWG
Posts: 3217
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Germany

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by VSWG »

1. Yes.
2. Aden and Panama are bases just like any other - how many troops, planes and ships you want to keep there is up to you. If you're playing against the AI, then you don't have to worry too much about their defense: the AI isn't scripted to attack them. [;)]
3. Loading is identical to stock. I cannot comment about your example, because you haven't mentioned what kind of unit you are loading (base force, RCT, tank unit...), but it should work more or less... For details about load cost, see this thread: tm.asp?m=1873805
Image
Yamato hugger
Posts: 3791
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by Yamato hugger »

Most CHS games you will find the Jap player is prohibited (by house rule) from entering the "tunnels" for the off map areas. Usually required to remain a certain distance from them (3 to 5 hexes depending). So worry about Aden / Panama is generally moot.
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

Hi-Second round of ?s.

1. Are CHS hexes same size as WITP, ie. 60 miles?
2. From where does India get it's fuel & supplies? I was supprised at how skimpy both fuel & supply stocks in India were in the early game.
3. As Allies, do I have to provide both Aden & Panama with fuel & supplies fom West Coast(Panama) & India(Aden)?
4. Political points-still 50 per day, as in WITP? If not, how many?
5. Do the Japanese still have their skill advantage for Zeros until 6/42?
6. Do British withdrawls take place at Aden or Karachi?

Many thanks, Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
User avatar
VSWG
Posts: 3217
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Germany

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Hi-Second round of ?s.

1. Are CHS hexes same size as WITP, ie. 60 miles?
2. From where does India get it's fuel & supplies? I was supprised at how skimpy both fuel & supply stocks in India were in the early game.
3. As Allies, do I have to provide both Aden & Panama with fuel & supplies fom West Coast(Panama) & India(Aden)?
4. Political points-still 50 per day, as in WITP? If not, how many?
5. Do the Japanese still have their skill advantage for Zeros until 6/42?
6. Do British withdrawls take place at Aden or Karachi?

Many thanks, Hugh Browne
1. Yes.
2. India has lots of industry, but you need to ship as much oil as possible from Aden to India - be sure that the damaged oil center at Aden are set to repair. Also, Aden generates a lot of supplies every day.
3. No.
4. 50 points per day, as in stock.
5. Zero bonus is in CHS, too. The AVG bonus only applies to the 1st squadron of AVG, though.
6. You can withdraw ships from Bombay, Aden and San Francisco.

EDIT: 3. Actually, Aden needs some resources for the local HI. India produces a surplus, so not a problem.
Image
Uamaga
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Kraków, Poland

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: VSWG
...
5. Zero bonus is in CHS, too. The AVG bonus only applies to the 1st squadron of AVG, though.
...

Zero bonus is in CHS but with an exception of CHS 159 variant (unfortunately from my current pov at least [:)]).
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by bradfordkay »

" 3. As Allies, do I have to provide both Aden & Panama with fuel & supplies fom West Coast(Panama) & India(Aden)? "

I find that Panama can use the occasional shipment of fuel, especially if you ever run supply convoys from there. And, yes, Aden needs resources to fuel its heavy industry.
fair winds,
Brad
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

Hi-3rd round questions.

It's 12/16/41. I cannot load anything but supplies at both Aden & Panama. I'd like to get oil to India, but the game won't let me. What am I missing?
2.What are the black,red & orange lines on land masses. I know the yellow(or tan) are roads, suspect the red are barriers to land/sea travel, but how about the rest?
3.In this game can AR,AS,AD,Avd, etc. service all nationalities?
4. At PH, the PH Base Force has an air support of 360. But when I click on it, it shows 189. Please advise. If damage, how to fix?
5.I've looked everywhere for US AP West Point. Can't find her either in ship reinforcements or individual ship slots. Is she in this game?
6. A reply to one of my earlier posts suggested I "repair damage in Aden". Please tell me how I go about that.

BTW, I did the R,F6,1 check at Aden & all is AOK. Thanks for that check.

That's it for now. Many thanks, Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
rockmedic109
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Hi-3rd round questions.

It's 12/16/41. I cannot load anything but supplies at both Aden & Panama. I'd like to get oil to India, but the game won't let me. What am I missing?
2.What are the black,red & orange lines on land masses. I know the yellow(or tan) are roads, suspect the red are barriers to land/sea travel, but how about the rest?
3.In this game can AR,AS,AD,Avd, etc. service all nationalities?
4. At PH, the PH Base Force has an air support of 360. But when I click on it, it shows 189. Please advise. If damage, how to fix?
5.I've looked everywhere for US AP West Point. Can't find her either in ship reinforcements or individual ship slots. Is she in this game?
6. A reply to one of my earlier posts suggested I "repair damage in Aden". Please tell me how I go about that.

BTW, I did the R,F6,1 check at Aden & all is AOK. Thanks for that check.

That's it for now. Many thanks, Hugh Browne
1. Oil will ONLY load onto TK or AO. And you have to have enough plus something like 10% to fill the ship or it will stop loading and send the ship.....or did so to me in my last game when I was trying to empty Palembang.
2. Reds are total barriers. Not sure on the others but Andrew Brown's map has a good legend in the lower right.
3. Yes
4. Keep more than 20,000 supplies at Pearl and it will fill out. Some units begin the game short on men and equipment. They will slowly fill up to their TO&E as the components become available.
5. I thought I've seen it, but am not positive.
6. Should be automatic unless you turned off base expansion at the start of the game. I think there is a button on the base info screen.
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by bradfordkay »

5.I've looked everywhere for US AP West Point. Can't find her either in ship reinforcements or individual ship slots. Is she in this game?

In CHS 2.08, she is scheduled to arrive in Karachi on or about Dec 20, 1941 - all dependant upon whether or not you chose historical reinforcement arrival dates.

6. A reply to one of my earlier posts suggested I "repair damage in Aden". Please tell me how I go about that.

In CHS 2.08, the heavy industry and the oil fields at Aden and on the US west coast start out in damaged mode. Andrew (Brown, the mapmaker for CHS and AE) did this to simulate undeveloped facilities that would grow as the war progresses. What you want to do is to bring up the base screen for each of these locations and then click on the heavy industry and oil buttons across the bottom of that screen. This will bring up a report on each of those facilities. In the upper center you will see a yellow toggle YES or NO for "repair". Make sure that it says yes.
fair winds,
Brad
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

rockmedic109-Many thanks for your input. However, re loading oil at Aden, I just now checked my 12/16 date.

Aden base screen shows oil storage-12472/400. Am I right in that the 400 is the amount available to ship? If so, I assume the 400 # will change either up or down as production continues. Please advise.

Many thanks, Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
User avatar
rjopel
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:32 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by rjopel »

hbrsvl,
 
Aden has 12472 oil available to ship/ it recieves 400 oil per day in addition to the amount produced by Aden's still damaged oil fields.
 
The amount after a slash is a daily amount of supply/resource/oil recieved automaticaly every day at that site, representing hard to model off map areas.
 
Great game and I love it.  Hope you enjoy as well.
Ryan Opel
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

rockmedic109-OK-Here's my problem. Date 12/14/41. Aden-oil storage-11485/600. TK Elsa, capacity 2000 in a TK TF, docked at Aden. She can only load supplies. The load fuel, load troops & load oil/resources are all grayed out.

Contrast the above with:
Same date. Soerabaja. Oil storage 4200. TK Iris, cap. 3330, loading oil.

Again, what am I missing?

Thanks, HB
hbrsvl
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

rockmedic109-OK, here's my problem. Date 12/14/41.

Aden shows oil storage 11485/600. TK Elisa, capacity 2000, in a TK TF is docked at Aden. She cannot load oil. Load fuel,load troops, load oil/resources are all grayed out.

Contrast the above with:

Soerabaja, same date, shows Oil storage 4200. TK Iris, capacity 3330, in a TK TF docked and is loading oil.

Again, what am I missing? Thanks, HB
hbrsvl
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by Mike Solli »

Are there any resources in the hex?  You need at least one resource present in a hex in order to load oil.  It's a glitch.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

Mike-Thanks. The base screen shows: Resource storage-6379. The TKs oil loading is still grayed out.

BTW, I'm leaving at 1pm PDT for a short trip. Back Momnday am.

Thanks, HB
hbrsvl
rockmedic109
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

rockmedic109-Many thanks for your input. However, re loading oil at Aden, I just now checked my 12/16 date.

Aden base screen shows oil storage-12472/400. Am I right in that the 400 is the amount available to ship? If so, I assume the 400 # will change either up or down as production continues. Please advise.

Many thanks, Hugh Browne
400 is the number of Oil points gained per day. 12472 is the number of oil points in storage.

Is your tanker in a tanker task force? That is the only thing I can think of that could be the problem.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by Mike Solli »

Is Aden a port?  I know, stupid question, but I'm at a loss.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
hbrsvl
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:29 am

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by hbrsvl »

Mike-Yes, size 9.

A thought. I hope AE is going to be easier to load than this mod. Any thoughts?

Thanks, HB
hbrsvl
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: CHS Preliminary Questions

Post by Mike Solli »

Have you tried to disband the TF in port and then recreate it?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”