No Gold?
Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid
-
Paul Goodman
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
No Gold?
Didn't make it, huh? It sure is hard to make a buck, particularly in this business.
Joel, we do hope you will be able to contact this forum from Belarus. I assume you'll be gathering information for the new East Front game (for IRS purposes, at least).
Joel, we do hope you will be able to contact this forum from Belarus. I assume you'll be gathering information for the new East Front game (for IRS purposes, at least).
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
- Joel Billings
- Posts: 33775
- Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Santa Rosa, CA
- Contact:
No, I'm waiting for 2 babies to be born, metaphorically. My family's trip to Belarus has been postponed twice, so now it is tentatively scehduled for about 12 days from now. We're going to adopt a 4 year old boy, but the government agencies there are taking their time signing off on all the paperwork.
As for the game, it's very close but we keep finding things we want to fix before release. I think we are down to days, not weeks, but you know how these things go.
Hopefully both babies will be born and home with their families (or gamers) before the end of the month.
Joel
As for the game, it's very close but we keep finding things we want to fix before release. I think we are down to days, not weeks, but you know how these things go.
Hopefully both babies will be born and home with their families (or gamers) before the end of the month.
Joel
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
-- Soren Kierkegaard
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
-
victor semensi
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Gloucester, Ma USA
My congratulations as well. My wife and I adopted 2 children here in the US 4 years ago. I don't know if this is your first but I hope you're aware of the supports available to you locally and over the web. My wife moderated the Adoptive Families Together message board for a couple of years it's an excellent resource. It's amazing how many adoptive children go through identity crises at roughly the same time (adolecense, big surprise) regardless of the age they were when adopted.
-
Paul Goodman
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
- Joel Billings
- Posts: 33775
- Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Santa Rosa, CA
- Contact:
I'm always amazed when I bring up adoption how many people have been touched by it in one way or another. My 2 daughters are adopted (in the US) and we also had to give back two baby boys within about 6 months of each other 10 years ago. Long stories, but basically the downside of domestic adoption. About 7 years ago my wife and I started a family foundation to help people get information about international adoption from Eastern Europe (another long story). We both have a significant part of our family that came from Russia/Ukraine/Belarus/Moldova. Of course my sister chose to be different and adopted a baby girl from China.
Bottom line is we've seen over 100 kids from Eastern Europe that have adjusted well to life in California. You're right though, he is gonna freak when he comes to sunny Southern California from Belarus. At least I play roller hockey so I hope he likes Belarus's national sport (ice hockey). We've learned about 30 phrases in Russian so we can try to communicate with him until he learns enough English. What amazes me about the kids that have come over is how fast they assimilate and how quickly they lose their old language if it isn't spoken in the home (about 6-9 months). Thanks to all for the offers of support and congratulations. We're just keeping our fingers crossed and hoping things go well.
Joel
Bottom line is we've seen over 100 kids from Eastern Europe that have adjusted well to life in California. You're right though, he is gonna freak when he comes to sunny Southern California from Belarus. At least I play roller hockey so I hope he likes Belarus's national sport (ice hockey). We've learned about 30 phrases in Russian so we can try to communicate with him until he learns enough English. What amazes me about the kids that have come over is how fast they assimilate and how quickly they lose their old language if it isn't spoken in the home (about 6-9 months). Thanks to all for the offers of support and congratulations. We're just keeping our fingers crossed and hoping things go well.
Joel
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
-- Soren Kierkegaard
- Ross Moorhouse
- Posts: 780
- Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 5:00 pm
- Location: Sydney, Australia
- Joel Billings
- Posts: 33775
- Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Santa Rosa, CA
- Contact:
Good Luck!
Joel,
My wife and I travelled to China to adopt our daughter two years ago. It was an amazing journey from beginning to end. One the best things about it was connecting with another culture. From now on, some part of my family will always be Chinese and I find that fascinating. People always tell me that they think it was a wonderful thing we did, and it was - wonderful for us. Our daughter is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me.
You and your wife must be very excited. I'm excited for you.
Good Luck!
Ross, that seems very odd as it is often older couples that choose the adoption route. What a shame for you.
My wife and I were the youngest in our adoption group when we went to China at 34 and 35.
My wife and I travelled to China to adopt our daughter two years ago. It was an amazing journey from beginning to end. One the best things about it was connecting with another culture. From now on, some part of my family will always be Chinese and I find that fascinating. People always tell me that they think it was a wonderful thing we did, and it was - wonderful for us. Our daughter is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me.
You and your wife must be very excited. I'm excited for you.
Good Luck!
Ross, that seems very odd as it is often older couples that choose the adoption route. What a shame for you.
My wife and I were the youngest in our adoption group when we went to China at 34 and 35.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
What a marvelous thread this has become.
Joel, and others. Can you provide me with some information about adoptions in general and where you get your information? It is an area in which I know some of the people in my parish (and others) would be interested - especially when it involves helping kids realize a better future and relieving their hurt.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Well, I'll chime in as well then. My wife and I adopted an 11 month old boy from Kazakhstan in December 2000. Some countries had issues with my age, 49 at the time, and adopting an infant but not Kaz. Hope you have a safe and successful trip Joel.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw
WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Me too.
We had to adopt from Guatemala because of my age. Most other countries would not allow adopting a 11 month old (when we got her) by folks over the half century mark.
We had to adopt from Guatemala because of my age. Most other countries would not allow adopting a 11 month old (when we got her) by folks over the half century mark.
Quote from Snigbert -
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."
"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
Adoption age limitations
Reading this thread leads me to believe that beauracracies (could never spell that horrid word!) have once again overstepped the bounds of reason. Unless you are on your deathbed or have a history of irresponsibility or criminal activity, there should be no limitations regarding becoming an adoptive parent. Haven't those kids been through enough? I get a bad taste in my mouth everytime some public servant decides what is "best" for a child. I think a caring home (why else would someone adopt unless a real desire for a child or to help chilren was a paramount issue with prospective parents) must be a vast improvement over any orphanage.
Sorry to hear about that, Ross. I've heard Australia has some rather restrictive policies. Did Australia only just recently back down on it's immigration restrictions?
Sorry to hear about that, Ross. I've heard Australia has some rather restrictive policies. Did Australia only just recently back down on it's immigration restrictions?


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
schastlivogo puti
Joel said:
We've learned about 30 phrases in Russian so we can try to communicate with him until he learns enough English.
Here are 2 more from Me:
Ya rad tebye (I am happy for you)
Sdelyaj zoloto nelyzya skoree!
(go Gold as soon as possible)
We've learned about 30 phrases in Russian so we can try to communicate with him until he learns enough English.
Here are 2 more from Me:
Ya rad tebye (I am happy for you)
Sdelyaj zoloto nelyzya skoree!
virtute omne regatur




