I wonder how often this happens

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
Chris21wen
Posts: 7906
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

I wonder how often this happens

Post by Chris21wen »

CA Astoria collides with DD Phelps at 151 , 145



Image
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 325 times
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by Don Bowen »


In history or in the game?
Chris21wen
Posts: 7906
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen


In history or in the game?


I meant the game but I know it was did happen more than a few times.
User avatar
NightFlyer
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:48 am

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by NightFlyer »

I've had this happen to me also. I thought it might have been related to task force size (eg 25) but you only had 10 ships in the TF. Maybe it's related to the Leadership level of the TF commander? VADM Pierce is sorely lacking in leadership, maybe he had his map upside down [:D]
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.." -U.S. Air Force Manual
User avatar
Graymane
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by Graymane »

In "Beans, Bullets and Black Oil" there are a lot of references to ships colliding. It seems to have been a not insignificant percentage of battle repairs.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
User avatar
NightFlyer
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:48 am

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by NightFlyer »

Two "eyewitness" notes:

1. My father-in-law, who served in the Royal Navy in WWII was patrolling off Gibraltor when a US ship collided with his. He claims it was due to "American drunkenness" hehe. He's still alive and kicking god bless.
2. I served as a deckhand in the merchant marines on the Great Lakes one summer, and they let a junior officer take the wheel. He promptly passed under a bridge at a 45 degree angle almost hitting one of the bridge supports.

So yeah, "stuff" happens.
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.." -U.S. Air Force Manual
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by Mike Scholl »

I think the real question here is how often does it happen in the game, and especially how likely is it to effect strategy?   Ship collisions have been a fact of life since cavemen rolled the second log into the water..., and they should be part of the game.  On the other hand, when a player is sailing out looking for his first big carrier battle, the last thing he wants to see is "Enterprise collides with Wasp" (or Kaga with Shokaku).   That's the kind of "realism" that can spoil a game entirely...
 
So the question for designers is "Is this going to be a colorfull nuisance..., or a potential disaster?"
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by John Lansford »

In my first CG I had two collision reports, both involving AI ships.  The first was a CA colliding with a DD, the second was a pair of AK's colliding.  That was in 3 months of game time with lots of surface battles.
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by Shark7 »

Wasn't there a destroyer that got sliced in half in the Atlantic and they managed to repair it? Seem to remember that the back 2/3s of the ship managed to stay afloat.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Wasn't there a destroyer that got sliced in half in the Atlantic and they managed to repair it? Seem to remember that the back 2/3s of the ship managed to stay afloat.

USS Murphy
User avatar
scott64
Posts: 4019
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by scott64 »

Had this happen twice in Wienie Roasting [:D]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me


Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
User avatar
RevRick
Posts: 2615
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Thomasville, GA

RE: I wonder how often this happens

Post by RevRick »

Sometimes, it's really important!!!!



Image

And you oughta take a look at Indiana...
Attachments
015641.jpg
015641.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 329 times
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”